80s Album Draft

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Panfilo, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frasermc

frasermc Take your flunky and dangle

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    sorry guys. i missed the opening of the thread as i was at my brother's for 2 days and then at parkhead last night for a wonderous champions league match.

i'll post my choice within 5 minutes and hope it gets accepted.

cheers

2. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    [​IMG]

maria mckee - maria mckee

i've been racking my brains trying to decide what album to choose with my first pick. i have a shortlist that includes some monster albums from the 80's and some massive acts. then i thought about what sir manchester said in the sign up thread...

"My aim isn't to win so I'll just draft my favorite albums and share them with you"

with that in mind i decided on the choice you see above. i may only get one shot on this so i wanted to choose the album from the 80's that is my clear winner. maria mckee isn't a well known artist, the album isn't/wasn't a huge commercial success but it's an all time classic as far as i'm concerned.

released in june 1989, so it just sneaks into this draft, i fell upon this album by complete accident. back in the 80's and early 90's i was a member of the brittania music club. some of you may know how it worked. you'd get the magazine every month and on your return slip was a little box that you had to tick off if you didn't want the album of the month choice. i cannot begin to add up how many times i forgot to tick that damn box or how much money it cost me.

but one morning maria mckee arrived on my doorstep. i'd never heard of her or any of her music so i decided to give it a go. i put it on the turntable and lay back on my bed. about 4 hours later i was still there as i listened over and over again. the powerfully evocative vocals, sometimes haunting mixed with the songwriting/storytelling had me hooked.

i try to pick out a standout tune on any album but on this one i'm torn between two. i'm a sucker for a good story and panic beach provides just that. the tale of a girl hoping to make it big as an actress only to see her hopes diminish bit by bit has been told many times before but never so vividly. more than a heart can hold is a beautiful love song with spiritual overtones that gets me every time. a 36 year old man and yet the raw emotion i hear in the song makes me well up inside.

love and loneliness are recurring themes on the album. breathe is a haunting love song centred on the holy grail of relationships. two people so suited to each other that they can almost become one. what other love song do you know that opens with the line..

At first I was scared when I opened up my head
    and the motor that was running was the mind of you

has he got a friend for me is so simple in execution yet so strong in conveying the image of a woman so lacking in self confidence in herself that she feels destined to be alone forever. am i the only one who's ever felt this way deals with loneliness again but this time the protagonist is angry and bitter at the fate love has dished out to her.

don't be fooled into thinking she's a one trick pony. maria can belt out tunes as well. such as the album opener i've forgotten what it was in you and the catchy can't pull the wool down but never more so than the blues/country song this property is condemned.

after hearing this album i had to go out and trace her back catalogue. i did eventually get two lone justice albums (no mean feat in glasgow in 1989) and i have most of her later solo work but for me nothing beats this amazing solo debut album.

i don't know how well known she is in america. obviously a lot more than in the UK where she is still virtually an unknown artist except for one song from a movie soundtrack. a kind of like it that way, for selfish reasons, as i feel i get to keep her all to myself. yep, i still have a crush on her. even now. i had the good fortune and privelege to see her live in glasgow about 15 years ago and she blew the house down. what a woman.

[youtube]RvRxYty2ie0[/youtube]

breathe live

[youtube]Bm3pcdazZGY[/youtube]

this property is condemned live

sorry about the quality of the clips but she's hard to come by on youtube.

3. Crimen y Castigo

May 18, 2004
    OakTown
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay guys, I’m going to sticky a Big Board thread at the top of the forum.

When you make a new selection, please:
    >quote the entire Big Board post
    >insert your latest selection and
    >strip the

4. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Did you PM Iceblink?

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    IceBlink's time expired. Lastort up.

6. frasermc

Celtic
    Scotland
    Jul 28, 2006
    Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    i did PM icebink yes.

at around 5.30pm GMT.

7. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. Power outage in the known world?

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe we are out of good albums already.

Were the 80's that bad?

:D

9. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    There is one album that I cannot wait to be picked - arguably my favourite album ever, and incredibly influential. I would imagine it could sleep for a while, though.

10. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    As a reminder, cause I'm getting impatient here

8) As a courtesy, if you are going to be unavailable for an extended period of time, please try to PM a few proxy picks to someone not involved in the draft so they can draft for you. It's not a rule but just a suggestion that'll keep it moving.

11. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    May I please join? Seems like the consensus was to cap it at 20 and it looks like I would be #19.

12. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    We probably should have waited until after Labor Day, at this rate, that is about when I'll get to pick again.

13. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    We did kind of hurry up to start; its possible folks weren't aware it was already time to check back frequently. And we did start right before an out-of-town type long weekend...

14. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    In?>>

Does that make me #20? Which means I get picks #20 and #21 right?

15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Maybe next time the thing to do is have a specified start time and person; after that anyone who hasn't drafted in that round yet can go in a scramble, with posting time creating priority; if somebody else beat you to an album, you just edit your post to another one. Anytime, say, 12 hours passes without a post, the next round starts. Not eight hours, because there are folks on both sides of the ocean...

That way much of the time anyone who's actually here can go ahead, and those who are not paying attention lose out....

Or we could just be patient...

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was a tough choice. I was asking myself "do I go punk, new wave, industrial, hip hop, techno, rock, post punk?"

In the end, one of my all time favorite old school punk rock albums won out.

[​IMG]
    Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables

And when I went to Amazon to grab an image, I noticed that I was the one who uploaded it there.

:)

[youtube]0R9_ZLxsmmg[/youtube]
    Holiday in Cambodia

[youtube]IWO4JxM3nDc[/youtube]
    Kill The Poor

[youtube]5iNh6BVZgJ0[/youtube]
    California Uber Alles

[youtube]fckSZ0zDGaA[/youtube]
    Let's Lynch The Landlord & Chemical Warfare

IMHO, the DKs are the best "hardcore" punk rock band ever.

17. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    1) ForeverRed
    2) voyager
    3) sch2383
    4) Ismitje
    5) SirManchester
    6) taosjohn
    7) frasermc
    8) Iceblink
    9) JeremyEritrea
    10) Panfilo
    11) Toon³
    12) Dr. Know
    13) GringoTex
    14) Matt in the Hat
    15) Claymore
    16) kopiteinkc
    17) argentine soccer fan
    18) StiltonFC
    19) Sachsen
    20) MLSNHTOWN

18. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    [​IMG]

The Smiths- The Queen is Dead (1986)

Morrissey wrote lyrics and sung better than anyone who came up in the 80s. This coming from someone who thinks Bono was f'kn brilliant. But Morrissey takes the cake. And Marr was at his best in this album. The Smiths best record and one that has influence countless bands.

The Queen is Dead
    [youtube]_lbZ2JLEvzk[/youtube]

Big Mouth Strikes Again
    [youtube]NpOpcsCXzCw[/youtube]

There is a Light that Never Goes Out
    [youtube]INgXzChwipY[/youtube]

19. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, I voluntarily reduce my window to half... six hours. There will be times when I'm in class and I won't be able to get on the computer for a few periods. If I don't get on in six hours, please go on. This is the 80s. I will NEVER run out of stuff to pick even if this draft had 100 people in it and went for 100 rounds. NEVER. This is partially because I'm going to pick some stuff that no one else will think of... or care about... or want... or etc. etc. etc. So, I just had another idea of what I wanted to pick, but I'm going to go with one of my first thoughts.

Anyway, for my first choice I am going to pick something that I really enjoyed in the 80s. It is also the only cd that both my wife and I had upon moving in together...

I think this band and album have stood the test of time. It sounds dated on occasion, but I can still pop it in and listen to the whole thing. I think it's one of the albums that defines the 80s for me on a personal level:

This album is.........

[​IMG]

Alphaville: Forever Young (1984)

1. "A Victory of Love" – 4:14
    2. "Summer in Berlin" – 4:45
    3. "Big in Japan" – 4:43
    4. "To Germany with Love" – 4:15
    5. "Fallen Angel" – 3:55
    6. "Forever Young" – 3:45
    7. "In the Mood" – 4:29
    8. "Sounds Like a Melody" – 4:42
    9. "Lies" – 3:32
    10. "The Jet Set" – 4:52

Total synthpop... quite a few hits, and, when I first heard it, extremely different from anything I had heard previously. Perhaps this would have gone in a later round... I'm sure someone would have taken it, but it was important to me.

Thanks.

Editing to add youtube links since everyone else is...

[youtube]mXPUkrz7Uow[/youtube]
    [youtube]uxUJPry5CTE[/youtube]

Last one is Alphaville on some tv show covering a Bob Dylan/Joan Baez song... maybe their most famous song.

[youtube]lfCRBsdHVes[/youtube]

20. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was planning to be all over this draft. I guess I missed my chance due to work/trip combo crunch. No pressure for me, but I'll plan to make snarky comments about the drafters' choices.

21. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    #2 on my draft board. Superb pick

22. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would argue that we add nancyb as our 21st and final drafter for 2 reasons:

1. her excellent musical taste
    2. her emeritus status on the "Movies, TV and Music" forum

:)

23. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeremy - thanks for the offer, but I definitely don't have time to participate now.

24. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Toon's window has expired. Dr. Know is up.

25. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia