8 Days Till Exhibition Kick Off!

Discussion in 'St Louis FC' started by Battra, Mar 18, 2010.

1. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Well, ACSTL is minor league, but they're the highest level in St Louis, so it's not necessarily comparable to the Grizzlies. I don't think most people in StL are terribly aware of the USSF pyramid, and that being the case I don't see why ACSTL wouldn't be able to draw at least as well as Athletica. The location is the same, and the quality of play should be nearly comparable, right?

Also, were the foreigners participating in the KC game?

2. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True.

Well, considering the Lions don't exactly get much play either.

Or the basketball teams we had.

I can go on.

3. FrankMiller

FrankMiller New Member

Aug 11, 2009
    The Lions are not a pro team, so I'm not sure how relevant they are to ACSTL predictions. I guess they might steal some fans from the St Charles area.

4. PopsKrock

PopsKrock New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Belleville
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I do know that Ralston and Kreamalmeyer weren't playing.

5. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Well....
    Honestly, I love Athletica, and I think I'll be supporting them more than I support ACSTL.
    But if you're asking "Will a NASL team get less coverage than a WPS team?", then I'd be inclined to say "You're talking about two different sports here." As much as I hate to admit it, I think women's soccer, at whatever level, will be regarded by the general public (and even the general soccer community) as "lower" than DII men's soccer for many years to come. Also, even MLS is widely considered a "minor" league in the USA - just look at any city (except maybe Seattle) with both an MLS team and an MLB/NFL/NBA/NHL team, and there's really no comparison in terms in budget and attendence. I highly doubt most people will make the distinction between MLS and DII - as FrankMiller said, the US soccer pyramid isn't well-known.
    I don't expect Athletica to sell out Soocer Park, even once - I do expect ACSTL will sell it out multiple times (unless they expand it, which I hope they do).

6. VandalPlus

VandalPlus New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    I was wondering this too...

From the photos posted and YouTube video of the game, the only non US player that I could pick out was O'Garro, but I could be wrong, I don't know what the Brazilian players look like.

7. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    Hold it. If you go back the to the Strom/Ambush years, they actually received VERY GOOD media coverage in the paper, and on the radio and TV. I several tapes full of Storm and Ambush highlights. The TV stations were often doing stories on both teams, including LIVE pre-game interviews at The Arena and Kiel/Savvis/Scottrade Center. Every station had home highlights and sometimes the road highlights.

The Post Dispatch always had big game-day articles and post-game articles. Even some mid-week articles. During the 90-91 season, the Post even had a "Preki & Hullie" watch, comparing Preki of the Storm and Brett Hull of the Blues, with Games Played, Goals, and Assists. I know in the Ambush era, the Post had a FULL page on Saturdays dedicated to the Ambush and the NPSL.

But keep in the mind, the Storm and Ambush averarged between 8k-10k per game. So obviously people were paying attention back then.

The Steamers received almost NO coverage when they played at the Family Arena, but NO ONE attended their games either.

When the Steamers moved downtown to Scottrade Center, the media coverage picked up a bit. Not a lot, but far more than they had at the Family Arena. But the team was mismanaged and nothing like the Ambush of the 1990's.

8. VandalPlus

VandalPlus New Member

Oct 15, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    http://www.globe-democrat.com/news/2010/mar/26/ac-st-louis-saint-louis-u-and-siu-edwardsville-sch/

According to The Globe-Democrat, AC will take on SLU at Hermann Stadium at 4 on Sunday and its free the the public.

Also,

9. !axel

!axel Member

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely will be up at Hermann on Sunday. Can't beat free admission.

10. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SWEEET!

Definitely will try to make this one!

11. morry

morry Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Denver- Captial Hill
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pretty sure you guys could beat DC United right now

12. Battra

Battra Member

Feb 3, 2010
    South St. Louis City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really can't wait now to see the boys take on KC this weekend.

13. !axel

!axel Member

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AC is taking on Western Illinois right now. AC up 2-0 with goals by Kafedzic and Ambersley (I assume is a trialist, not on the roster).

14. KingHenrik

KingHenrik New Member

Jul 8, 2009
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are the Brazilian guys not coming or what? I'd imagine they'd actually be here by now. Plus, don't see them on the official web-site's roster still.

15. KyleScarborough

KyleScarborough New Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Washington, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Wonderful Wizards of Oz win a game and you're acting cocky? Interesting.

Why the dislike of the Chelsea Ladies FC? You figure that's the only club in Europe the Wizzy's can beat?