8/6 Olympic Semifinal

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by kool-aide, Aug 3, 2012.

1. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Spain wasn't even in 1st gear during that tournament. They never got outta 2nd/3rd gear. The WWC 07' Germany made it look easy.

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Haha

Germany was in the group of Dirth, then had to play North Korea, Norway, and Brasil on an extra day's rest.

And Nicole Petignat was already sent home.

Of course they made it look easy.

3. DeigoRedD

DeigoRedD Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course we don't know how anyone else would do because to the best of my recollection he's been around since before WWC 99.

dianamo-superstriker repped this.
  4. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy wake up and admit the obvious....If Morgan had gotten the minutes that Arod got at the WC you would have probably seen the same top notch Morgan performance you saw during the Olympics. She is a very intelligent player and she did not learn that over night. Add her technical skill (which she already had long before arriving to the team), and her physical attributes (which she also already had) and you have the complete player that she was and has been.

5. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    your kidding or smoking something...have you seen her poor runs, her first touch is poor, and her shots at goal go flying over the bar! Please Cookies lets come back to earth on this one.

6. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    agreed. Her technical and physical ability was very obvious in the u20 WC.
    She and Leroux should have been immediately brought into senior camps.

7. capocar100

capocar100 New Member

Sep 26, 2014
    Club:
    Everton FC
    I promised someone a highlights video from British/England TV channel of the USA 4 - Canada 3 semi-final match.

2 years late.. but here it is:

An alternative view/perspective of key points in the match, for those who only saw the US television broadcast.

8. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for that link. I actually used a VPN and watched that BBC broadcast live (as I did for much of the Olympics). Much better than the annoying American announcers that we have here.

Looking back on that game, I wish referees would start calling things like a goalkeeper holding on to the ball too long. There's a reason it's in the rule book, after all.

Otherwise, that was quite the game. I remember when Morgan scored the game winner, I was just in disbelief that that had just happened (more so the entire game that culminated in her goal than that goal by itself). No game can truly be that crazy, right?

9. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow I just watched that link and the commentary is sooooo much better than the American commentary.

10. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    While I dont have the version the highlights were from, here is a link to the official Olympic version. Certainly a different style that the NBC broadcast

11. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Wasn't there an English announcer for the ESPN broadcast?!?

12. TeaDrinkerful

TeaDrinkerful Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    nobody beats Arlo White on NBC sports, love listening to his commentary. Ian Darke is also very good on ESPN.

13. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The Olympics are done by NBC so the US heard the dulcet tones of Arlo White and...Brandy Chastain. I cheated and watched the BBC streams of the games after having enough of the NBC commentary in the France game.

14. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Chastain knows the game very well but isnt very good at communicating that knowledge IMO.

15. lovingthegreen

May 29, 2006
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess from my perspective, it is the whole American packaging of sports events (not just soccer) that annoys me so much (in addition to any non-British announcers on the broadcast) that I try to access alternatives when I can. Arlo White by himself is really good and cool (as a Sounders fan, I miss having him announce our games, although he was replaced by another really good British announcer).

Of course, another benefit of BBC coverage is their complete lack of commercials, which is extremely noticeable during the Olympics when NBC broadcasts, what, 20 minutes of commercials every hour? (Many people do not realize the insane amount of the Opening Ceremonies that are cut from NBC's coverage and never shown to Americans so that they can keep broadcasting commercials on a very regular basis throughout the evening.) And then they defend it by saying that they need to recoup the insane amount of money they paid for the rights to broadcast the Olympics (then don't bid that high, silly!). And BBC coverage is a lot more neutral than all of the rah-rah, Go USA! coverage that NBC puts out there (yes, BBC is definitely pro-Great Britain in their coverage, but it is not nearly as overwhelming as NBC's utter and complete focus on American athletes).

16. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get me started on NBC's coverage of the olympic games. I've been pissed off with NBC Olympic broadcasts since I was 10 years old. They over edit everything and they don't even show you the full games of anything! They rarely show you the medal ceremonies and they rarely focus on other countries besides the US.