8/4 Atlanta v Washington Postmatch Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by melbrown, Aug 4, 2002.

1. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
  2. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    You're pretty new to the sport then.

I thought this was dirty pool also watching it live, but having watched on tape I'm less inclined to complain. First, Pu Wei put the ball as far upfield as she could while putting it out, which is dodgy fair play as well. Atlanta did pressure the pass back into the Freedom backfield a bit more than normal for fair play, but Hooper wasn't all over Zimny and Zimny made her daily bonehead play with a horrible touch straight to Hooper. Can't say I expected Charmin to throw it away. Seemed like both sides tried to get away with as much as they could yet still claim to be sporting, which I see plenty of in these situations.

Of course, I was also certain that the ball an A twin knocked off the line early in the second half was actually cleared from inside the goal, and TV proved me wrong there too (A was well inside the net, but got the foot out to toe-poke it right off the line).

3. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Ron,

That was a well thought out post that was unbiased and did not attack anyone or anything.

You do realize that this is BigSoccer and we don't tolerate that sort of thing, right?

;)

4. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    Adam is right- it's a principle not a rule. It appears nowhere in FIFA rules. Phats is right, there was an (inappropriate?) long forward serve out by Washinton. Everybody is right, Atlanta served the ball way up the line. I also think that the ball was served to Washington, who flubbed it. It was not the most sportsmanlike play in the history of WUSA, but it was not illegal on either side, and (in my opinion as a Beat fan) the lack of sportsmanship was not unilateral.

5. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado

However, you do realize that if we didn't win I would have a completely different view of the matter and be blaming Atlanta for everything from WorldCom to terrorism.

One other note - Bai Jie appeared to get plowed from behind in the box around 35' (nothing called) and I wanted to see the replay on tape later. Of course, none of you know what I'm talking about because THEY NEVER SHOWED IT! They had a pointless replay on and never replayed the apparent foul, just showed Bai Jie on the ground for two seconds. Late in the match, they missed a lot of action in Atlanta's box because they were showing the 'Play of the Game'. The TV production of these games still suck!

6. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Umm. Yeah only been playing since 1979....................

7. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais

You'd have to get in line for that one. :D

I agree completely about the suckiness of broadcasts. I've seen that happen about a million times this season. I think last year's may have been better in that regard.

I remember Bai Jie being taken down and the resulting booing of the ref -- I was actually there for this game, since we came up for the MLS game on Saturday anyway.

8. shmigle08

shmigle08 New Member

Nov 6, 2000
    NC
    They never showed it on the broadcast? That was a huge play. I was even a bit surprised they didn't show a replay of it at the stadium.

All in all though, it was a great game to watch any way you look at it.

9. Mr.Soccer

Mr.Soccer New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Maui
    Quite all of this whining. We have a game to play and to win a playoff spot. The Washington game is old hat now. I hope we can catch them in the finals. Now that would be great. We can be polite then. What a waste of keystrokes.

10. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike