8/4 Atlanta v Washington Postmatch Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by melbrown, Aug 4, 2002.

1. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Just so folks don't have to wade through all the pages.

2. piper

piper New Member

************ ************ ************ ************ ************ ************ ************ ************ ************ ************ ************ ************.

And I still don't feel better. :|

3. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    Great game by both sides. Truly great. Obvious I wished we would have won, but the teams were very evenly matched. You gotta give Mia those corners... She's great! Bai Jie gave us fits. She's really fast. (BTW, we had about 50 people at J and J's, many of whom I've seen before but don't know... we need to find some way to recruit them into the Brigade)

4. piper

piper New Member

Since I'm beyond being lazy, what does this all mean now?

Maybe I should look up stats and standings.

5. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    It means that we need to beat SD!

6. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This result changes very little for the Beat of course it means that there is ONLY one spot left in the playoffs as Philly, Carolina, and Washington are all in.

San Jose is three behind Atlanta for the fourth spot and both teams have two games left.

Both of San Jose's games are ont the road and both of Atlanta's are at home.

Atlanta wins the tie breaker against San Jose.

SO any win by Atlanta or loss by San Jose and Atlanta clinches the fourth spot. The only way that San Jose catches Atlanta is for Atlanta to loose or tie out AND San Jose to Win both or, if Atlanta looses both a win and a tie will get San Jose the fourth spot.

The schedule favors Atlanta BUT they must take advantage of the schedule. It is STILL posible for Atlanta to finish as high as second BUT they need to aim at making sure of the playoffs byt Winning Wednesday against San Diego so they do not get to the last game of the year with "must Win" in their minds.

7. Charger22

Charger22 New Member

Feb 16, 2002
    out there
    this is possible, but is it probable? Carolina plays New York and San Diego while Atlanta plays San Diego and Philadelphia. To take second Carolina would have to loose both and Atlanta win both, right? Ties wouldn't even do it I don't think. Who knows, maybe New York will pull out something like they did when they beat Philly. I'm just more concerned that the Beat make it to the playoffs... hopefully in third and not fourth.

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Actually it is more "possible" right now than it was two weeks ago.

Two weeks ago everyone was thinking the "only" real race was for the third and fourth spots it was almost "inconceivable" (See the Princess Bride for proper use of this word "You keep using that word. I don’t think it means what you think it does.") that the Beat, or Washington would have ANY shot at second.

However, we, as fans, can discuss it BUT the Beat players and staff need to look only as far as getting a win against SD. If they have a breakdown that costs them three against SD and San Jose wins they go into the final game with it being a MUST win. A VERY bad situation to be in. The Beat play BEFORE San Jose on the final day and that is even worse for our hopes.

Looking at the playoffs it DOES not matter if the Beat gets third or fourth as the playoffs begin a WHOLE new season and the Beat’s first game will, most probably, be away. The only thing is I think the field at Carolina is a bit better than the one in Philly.

9. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    Sorry, but I can't see New York beating anybody in the top four right now. They really seem to have lost it

10. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Or in simpler terms...
    It means we need to beat SD!

(Sorry FOF, couldn't resist that one. :p)

11. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If I were to word things simply the people that pay me royalities might figure out how much fun I have writing and quit paying me by the word and pay by the thought instead.

I cannot afford ANY pay cut much less one that extensive!!!
    :(

12. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    They did beat Philly a couple weeks ago, but thats not saying much :D

13. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  14. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Atlanta will not win Fair Play award.

I accuse Atlanta for breaching a fundamental fair-play principle in their Sunday match against Washington.

After Steffi Jones went down with an injury, moments after the Freedom tied the game, Atlanta the Freedom sprayed the ball out of bounds.

What is supposed to happen is that Atlanta gives the ball back to Washington unimpeded and let them start upfield.

But Atlanta dumped the ball into the Freedom backfield and (same old) Hooper (always cheating) attacked and got the ball to Parlow to tie the game.

Thing is, entire FA Cup ties have been replayed for violations of this fair-play principle. Too bad nobody else in the media has picked up on this yet...

15. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have seen plenty of other teams in the league do this.

16. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Same thing happened at Spartan earlier this season. I can't remember if it was the Courage or Freedom game that I went to. Brandi was doing the throw in and was gonna give it back to the opposing team but Sissi pounced on it.

17. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Re: Atlanta will not win Fair Play award.

'kay let me get this straight. The Freedom player went down and the Freedom kicked the ball out. Now you want the Beat to give them the ball?
    Umm. No offense, but I've never seen this happen.

Its a courtesy thing to do if the Beat had the ball and Jones went down and the Beat put the ball out to give the ball back to the Beat. Or Vice versa if the Beat had a player go down and the Freedom had put the ball out.

But if your player goes down and you put the ball out then you do not get the ball back. No fair play rules governs this......................................

18. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    The principle is:

1) if a player goes down with injury

2) whomever possesses the ball plays it out

3) upon restart of play, the team in 2) who played the ball out, is given possession.

4) it doesn't matter which team the player in 1) happened to be...

so if Jones goes down, and Atlanta has possession, they play it out, DC throws in and gives the ball back to Atlanta.

If DC had possession, Atlanta throws in and gives the ball back to DC.

19. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Really?
    We've never played that way. And I've never seen it done.

If your player goes down with injury and you put it out then you don't get the ball back. Its to your advantage (usually) to put the ball out rather than play with 10 until the ref notices and calls a drop ball.

20. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    If you haven't seen it done, you've watched very, VERY little soccer.

RS

21. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    I see it all the time.
    The announcers usually go out of their way to mention it, and praise the sportsmanship.

22. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    I've seen play go on for quite a while before the ball gets played out, but I've NEVER seen a team take ADVANTAGE by NOT GIVING the ball back to the team playing it out.

If you watched WC this year, you saw it happen every match. And never was the unwritten code violated

23. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm w/ ya Loma!

24. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Y'all won. What does it matter now?

25. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    jones went down. dc misclears the ball and it goes up field and stays way inside the field (she kicked it straight). atlanta returned the ball near the same spot and it finally gets kicked out up field by pu wei. the ball gets thrown in to kylie bivens who kicks it into dc territory. a dc player gets it (it looks like 14 so i'm going to say grubb. who ever plays left flank). hooper is about 5 yards away from her. grubb miskicks it to mia and it goes right to hooper. hooper gets it fights w/ mia for it, goes to cagle, back to hooper who sends a cross to cp's head.

so whats hooper supposed to do? grubb gave it away. oh here, let me give it back to you because you misplayed it? atlanta already gave the ball back which is what you alledge didn't happen when jones went down. grubb mishandled it and gave it away to hooper.