8/28/02 Matchday III: Southampton v. Chelsea (R)

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Agreed

It's not the fact that we didn't pick up all the points that bothers me so much as the performance..or lack of..of the players.

Baba should sit.
    Cole needs to get to the bench.
    Gudjohnsen needs to play as his first touch is not there yet, same for hasselbaink.

Le Saux needs to have a start against the arse or we'll get killed down that side.

de Lucas has no business being in the middle of the park as thats not his game.

And...leeds lost at home...he he he he

2. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Pancaro

maybe we can see why Ranieri expressed interest in him, a realible fullback.

Who was the last fullback we could count on? Steve Clarke

3. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    that was annoying

just got back in to these boards, ended up on old soccernet, couldn't log in at all here :(

1-1 away at sarf-ampton
    moe importantly it was a miserable display

we need 2 new full backs and a creative mid I reckon. 2 wingers, lamps and a creative mid - defensive mid, let our CB's sort it out, they're good enough

dissapointing, but not the end of the world

bring it on arsenal

ciao for now, monkee

4. The Year Was1955

The Year Was1955 New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    Yeah exactly lads

The performance, very sad that it only took 3 tries for us to have a really really bad game.

I mean first day of the season every one is always pumped, against Man U they were always going to be pumped up, but here we go, Southampton away, chance to show how much the team is willing to put in to be successful this season and this is the crap they throw at us.

Thank fek for Frank Lampard.

5. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Listening to Kerry Dixon

On the post match it would seem that we missed several good chances to score that he thinks we will be puting in the back ofthe net in a few weeks time.

Gudjohnsen missed twice.
    Maybe we'll get to see some highlights of the game on FSW.

6. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Comments on the Game...

From a fan that was there...

that could well be my last away game of the season coz i have better things to do with my life than go and watch a bunch of premadonnas who will play for their lives against man u or barcelona or whoever it may be when the tv cameras are there but let us travel away on a summers evening in midweek (bradford 2 chelsea0) etc, etc and we just dont close down we dont tackle and we are overpaid and underperorming for the quality of players we have.please dont be under ANY ILLUSIONS,nothing has changed, we will finish between 6th and 10th,we have nothing new and a bunch of players who have no world cup or euro champs to look forward to so they dont even have to impress their international managers.and even though desailly held saints at bay by himself second half and was brilliant he is no captain as he does not rally the troops at all.we are completely and utterly spineless and will not finish within 20 points of arsenal or liverpool.

7. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    post match from Ranieri

Chelsea manager Claudio Ranieri claimed he took off striker Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink at half-time in the 1-1 draw at Southampton to save him for Sunday's clash with Arsenal.

Ranieri denied that Hasselbaink's dismal start to the season - still no goals for the Dutch star, who hit 23 in the Premiership last term - had anything to do with speculation about a move to Barcelona.

Ranieri said: "He was a little tired and we have a big game against Arsenal on Sunday for which I wanted him to recover.

"The speculation which has come from the Spanish press has not affected Jimmy. He's animal-footballer who when it comes to the game just attacks it. Sometimes people don't start the season well. Remember he's coming back off a bad injury at the end of last season.

"He's committed to Chelsea and I've never even had to speak to him about Barcelona because I know he will stay with us."

Ranieri admitted Chelsea were relieved to escape with a point after Frank Lampard's late equaliser.

He said: "We made too many mistakes, missed too many chances. It is okay to draw in a match like this but normally we want to win.

"We played well against Man United last Friday but that's a different game, a different style. Southampton always try to play the long ball and win the second ball. It is not our way and it is difficult for us. Like Man Utd we always want to play good football.

"But Charlton are like Southampton and we managed to beat them. So it is disappointing to only draw."

8. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point about Jimmy's injury.

38 Game season lads. 5 points ain't all bad. We could have 0 or 1 fairly easily.....