8/26/04: US VS Brazil Gold Medal Match (2PM ET/2PM PT on NBC) Pre/During/Post/etc.[R]

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by Julius, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    The U.S. will face Brazil on Thursday at 9 p.m. local / 2 PM ET live, 2 PM PT on NBC and Telemundo in the Gold medal match of Women's Olympic soccer. No doubt this is one of the biggest games in the history of US soccer program since 99 WWC final, soccer overall and maybe in women's sports. Your thoughts on this huge game. Semifinals: US def Germany 2-1 in OT and Brazil def Sweden 1-0.

2. UWHusky

UWHusky New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Do you mean to say that the west coast doesn't get this game live??

3. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    I agree completely.

The '99 final remains a uniquely special game.

But, this final is also a first.

It will be the first women's team sport game broadcast of a team that already occupies a place in the American sports public conscience.

Winning is so critical to acceptance of this team and this sport. After the '99 final, everything the team did made it into the paper. Games were broadcast on ABC during 2000 (including the friendly in which Michelle Akers scored her last goal). After the Olympics loss in the 2000 final, the team lost tremendous amounts of publicity. An Olympic gold, even after the disappointing third-place finish in WWC '03, will help restore that -- I hope.

4. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    every time i see the brazilians coming as our opponent, i get mixed emotions-good in that we totally own them, and bad that eventually they'll beat us. you know they'll be out for blood. let's hope we put the ball in the net early and often.

5. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    nbc will replay the game at 2;pm pacific time :mad:
    Folks from the West Coast can follow the action LIVE thanks to TELEMUNDO

6. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least they won't have to miss the critical goals because of commercials...

7. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    Plus the game comenties are way more exciting. No one can beat Andres Cantor.

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thank God for Telemundo!!!

beware the Brazilians. they dominated us in the 1st half last time out. if they can get one in the net early we could be chasing the whole game.

9. Dutch14

Dutch14 New Member

Aug 20, 2004
    Hicksville, NY
    As a moron - er Newbie - I posted to the wrong message. So here it is where it should be, again (I hope there's no punishment for "doubling up"?).

In re: Thoughts - I think the back 4 look pretty well set. I don't see them benching Chastain for Reddick in the "glory game" if she's healthy.

I was hoping someone would have answered how the midfield was aligned in the Germany game before I watch on Tivo - that would help in providing thoughts on this match. Diamond 4 or 2 deep in the center?

That said, if they keep Lilly wide it sounds like Boxx trying to anchor Wagner and Tarpley somehow. But I too vote for Hucles to play it safe for openers.

Of course, there's always the possibility that we may see some "power soccer" with Parlow and Wagner up top and Mia dropping behind them to provide a few more years experience in the midfield and create some midfield cover problems for the Brazilians. If I wasn't so concerned about a let down in the final after the emotional drain of preparing for and beating the Germans I think I would enjoy that approach to this match.

I do not take this game for granted one bit - but the situation needs to be considered given the "moment" that this game represents to U.S. women's soccer. Will AH let Foudy limp onto the field as a sub to join her team as a participant and celebrate at the final whistle if the team is up by 2 or 3 goals with a minute to play?

10. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? soccertv.com shows that Telemundo is delaying the Mountain and Pacfic broadcast of the game as well. The US Soccer site says Telemundo will have it live nationwide. The NBC Olympics site says nothing at all about tape delays. Who's right?

11. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Soccertv tends to be the right one when there is a question.
    The only way to see it live on the west coast is if you have a dish service that receives Telemundo's east feed.

12. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Despite Soccertv.com usually being right.. We do have 2 days to find the truth! :cool:

13. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why in the world would they delay the Mtn/Pac feeds? What possible reason could they have besides wanting to p!ss off half the country? :mad:

14. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    They've done it before and usually it's for reasons such as more viewers available at a certain time or other programing that may affect things, etc..
    I have a feeling that perhaps, in this case, it may actually be live on MSNBC on the West Coast and they were just waiting to see if the USA made it to the final before changing that and soccertv.com still has the original schedule.
    I guess we'll know soon. Wednesday night at the latest when they promo the next day's events.

15. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Anyway, enough about TV coverage - who's injured?

Foudy?
    Chastain?

16. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    Easy for you to say out there in the east with no worries about seeing the match live.. :p

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Actually, I might be on a plane during the final. Most planes don't have live TV coverage.

18. GopherBob

GopherBob Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Minneapolis
    I'll be driving through Iowa, maybe I'll get it taped and avoid the news.

Then I get to see UNC sans Tarpley and O'Reilly on Friday.

19. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    After the Brazillian comments on the last game about dirty play, I expect this one to be physical. The best way to stop Mia is to knock her down every time she touches the ball. There are no longer fears of second yellow cards keeping you out of the next game, so I look for someone on both teams to get carded early. The ref will know the background from the first time they met and should come out to clamp down on physical stuff fast to keep it under control.

Hopefully it stays clean and we get to watch a good game.

20. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, if the ref lets the Brazilians know right off the bat that persistent fouls will get them immediate cautions then they might ease off and try to play 'the beautiful game' instead of 'the hackers game.' :)

Hopefully, the US coaching staff learned enough from that game to know what the team needs to do this time.

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is the ref for this game?

22. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Re: 8/26/04: US VS Brazil Gold Medal Match (2PM ET/2PM PT on NBC) Pre/During/Post/etc

23. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 8/26/04: US VS Brazil Gold Medal Match (2PM ET/2PM PT on NBC) Pre/During/Post/etc

Do I remember correctly that there was not even a foul called when Foudy was taken out? Or was there a call but no card and I just don't remember it?

24. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA

Not even a foul. In other words, a Rachel Woo hack job.

25. Julius

Julius New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Philadelphia, PA
    I think that is right. I'm sorry for posting the results.