8/18 Kirovski: Arsenal vs. Birmingham City [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by nadpolice9, Aug 15, 2002.

1. nadpolice9

nadpolice9 New Member

Nov 26, 2001
    Boston , MA
    will jovan get in the match sunday

against arsenal, maybe he'll come on for like 15minutes?

2. owendylan

owendylan Member

May 30, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    I think he'll get more time than that. I would say he's 50/50 to start.

3. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    If I was a betting man, I would bet he would start. Partly because Bruce likes him a lot and also because of injuries to the Birmingham midfield.

4. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    after missing all of preseason training? Was he training with Palace?

5. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    No, he was not training with us. The last time he was with the Palace squad was on a trip to a tournament in Spain a week after the season ended. However, as he has been out of contract, there has been nothing to prevent him from training with Brum since they started their own pre-season, whether he had actually signed or not.

Assuming he is 100% fit, I would think there is a chance of him starting because, if Bruce does the same as he did with us, he will actually build his team around Kirovski, rather than fit Kirovski into his team. He is the lynchpin player that makes the system work. Also, given that Sunday is a big game for Clinton, I would imagine that it would help him to have service from someone with whom he's familiar with playing.

Kirovski will not be an impact player in the Premiership as he was with us (largely because he's probably half a step behind the pace at the higher level) but he will do well. He's got a football mind and he reads the game well.

6. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Do you see his role then, as holding the ball up in the forward third and then distributing it with the hope of creating chances?

7. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets hope that Jovan starts. The beginning of last year seem encouraging after watching years of this mans career slip away. It seems as though Bruce knows how to use Jovan to get the best out of him, something few others have figured out.

8. Scrandal

Scrandal Member

Nov 5, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Morrison Losing Fitness Battle for Sunday

with some comments and quotes regarding the Blues forward situation for Sunday.

http://www.soccer365.com/US_home/Americans_Abroad/page_40_37419.shtml

Looks like Jovan will likely get a chance to get in the game.

This is the PPV match on Sunday but does anyone know if FSW will show a replay. Usually they do but it's not on their schedule.

thanks, rgr

9. mik_smith

mik_smith New Member

Feb 5, 2001
    London
    I can argue (maybe not convincingly, but here goes) that he'll benefit from better pitches, more balls played in to his feet, and more protection from the referees. Of course, if I were Kirovski, I'd rather be passing to Dougie Freedman than Stern John!

10. BarbS

BarbS New Member

Feb 24, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I think he'll get a shot to play this weekend, maybe even start. He has all the tools to do well in the Premiership. Whoever said he'll benefit from the better quality of field, better refs, etc. hit the nail on the head. He can't create in a vacuum, but with good teammates and superior surroundings, he should be able to display his passing and creativity. He really could be a "poor man's Bergkamp" (no disrespect) this year.

11. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    I checked for the next two weeks and no mention of it. Looks like they are airing ManUre-WBA (the Saturday PPV match) midweek.

With Morrison now very doubtful Jovan has a great shot.

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I don't think they ever list replays of ppv games until after they air live.

13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    8/18 Kirovski: Arsenal vs. Birmingham City

Turning this thread into the game thread. This game is on ppv on Sunday at 11:00.

I thought this report by CPFC.co.uk of Kirovski's signing was kind of funny. One minute he's scoring the winner that puts CP at the top of the table, the next he's only getting cameos under Francis as Palace plummet:

http://www.cpfc.co.uk/today/view/breaking_news_detail/0,,10323~256827,00.html

14. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    I'll be rooting for the blues all season, I think Kirovski got a lot of good soccer in him. I think he's finally in a situation that will bring it out of him. I think after a couple seasons playing with BCFC he'll be a dangerous man in Deuthchland for the nats. He'll be in his prime.

15. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  16. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be wrong but from what I can tell, neither the Arse nor Birmingham City have free commentary.

Pisser.

17. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Match Preview and Team News

Trio in line for debut

Aliou Cisse, Kenny Cunningham and Jovan Kirovski are set to feature for Blues trip to Arsenal but Robbie Savage and Clinton Morrison miss out...

TeamTalk

Arsenal match preview

History of the Arsenal v Birmingham City fixture

Blues travel to take on Arsenal at Highbury on Sunday afternoon, needing to turn around their fortunes at the ground. The Blues will be hoping to improve upon a record which has seen them taste defeat on 35 occassions, and draw 16, from the 55 games played...

Singing the Blues

Kenna urges Blues to stand up to champions

Birmingham City's stand-in skipper Jeff Kenna has warned his team-mates not to run scared when they open their Premiership campaign away to champions Arsenal on Sunday...

The Beautiful Game

We'll show them!

Geoff Horsfield today warned that Blues are determined to prove the pundits wrong on their return to the top-flight at Arsenal tomorrow...

icBirmingham

Clint's day is made

It was somehow inevitable that Clinton Morrison and Kenny Cunningham should end up playing together at Birmingham City...

icBirmingham

Blues aiming to catch Arsenal cold

It has taken Birmingham City 16 years to drag themselves back into the top flight yet Steve Bruce's side will realise in a few, short weeks the mountain they must climb to simply stay there. Birmingham open their campaign away at last season's Double winners Arsenal today and their next four fixtures include matches against Leeds and Liverpool...

Independent Sport

There's no place for fear, says Kenna

Skipper Jeff Kenna has urged his Birmingham team-mates to travel without fear into the cauldron of Highbury tomorrow...

Express and Star

Warning signs from the Gunners

Arsenal have fired an ominous warning shot across Birmingham's bows on the eve of tomorrow's Double Winners v New Arrivals showdown at Highbury...

Express and Star

Bruce enjoys the smell of success

Steve Bruce can smell the hot dogs again. When he was a Manchester United centre-half, striding around the dressing-room as the clock ticked down towards a massive match, Bruce would declare that he could "smell the hot dogs" - for him, the scent of a special occasion. "We always used to say it before big games," Bruce reflected this week, sitting in the manager's office at Birmingham City's training ground...

The Telegraph

The Times: Match Preview and Team News

Live on PPV tomorrow at 11am EST. Price: $14.95

Come on Brummies!

18. Rowdie

Rowdie New Member

Jan 27, 2000
  19. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
  20. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    so is he in the first 11?

21. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Game doesn't start for another 40 minutes.
    No announcements as of yet.

22. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I keep forgetting England is an hour earlier...

23. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to planetfootball, JK does not even make the bench.

So much for that.

24. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
  25. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Well, he did have a knock in training on Friday--oh well.