8/17 Freedom at Charge PRE-MATCH

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Freestyle2000, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Freestyle2000

Freestyle2000 Moderator

Feb 6, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Holy crap, kids, it's the playoffs!

No trolls. No flaming.

RS

2. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we play the way we did against New York (the defense, at least), we're going to lose.

If we go into "Mia will save us" mode in the first half, we could be in trouble.

If they play the way they did against Atlanta, they're going to lose (excepting the first two items above).

We coming into it not only as a hot team but as a team that's been facing must-win games and winning them. Philly's been coasting - if they don't remember darn quick how to play in big games, they could be in trouble.

On the other hand, Philly's got the best coaching staff in the league - can't see them not being prepared for this game.

No one's been able to stop our now-healthy "terrifying trio" (Mia, Bai, Abby) yet, but if any defense could, it's Philly's.

If both teams bring their "A" games, this could be comparable to the Washington-Atlanta game. I would be disappointed if either team played below its capabilities.

And if Mia makes her PK or Casey Zimny behaves herself, this game is at RFK. Bummer.

3. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    I really don't see any of that happening. Do you? I considered the NY game to be one of fun. They didn't play with the intensity they have been playing with, and that was most likely attributed to the fact that they knew they didn't have to win.

On the team relying on "Mia saving us", I don't see it happening. Four different people scored against NY (not exactly an accomplishment because it's NY, but you get my point). Also, does anyone actually see Mia coming off the bench in the second half? I'm assuming she's gonna start this match. We need her for 90 if she can go 90. I think she can and will.

If we play like we did against Atlanta, considering Atlanta whipped Philly's ass two days ago, I'd consider that an accomplishment.

Go FREEDOM!!

4. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I have two concerns. If you look at the last three games, which are three of our best games of the season, I note two things:

1. The defense is giving up two goals a game. This is uncharacteristic and not something we can afford in the playoffs.

2. The offense doesn't perform until Mia shows up, whether she scores herself or not. We scored 12 goals in these three games, but only 2 came without Mia on the field. I don't think we can afford this, either. We played a great game against Atlanta, but mostly in the second half - in the first half, the Beat were all over us, and we were lucky not to give up several goals and be out of the game even before Mia came in.

At the "Meet the Team" event Gabarra gave the impression that he wasn't going to mess with success and that Mia would continue to be a supersub. That being said, it wouldn't surprise me to see Mia come off the bench before halftime if the Freedom are faltering. And, as someone else noted, if Mia starts, she might need to go 105 minutes and then be up for taking a PK. I'm not sure she's that fit yet.

5. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    Yeah, dammit, you're right. Maybe 65 minutes? I really think she needs to come into the game before the 2nd half. I alway stress the entire first half hoping for half so Mia can come in and organize both the offense and defense. At this point, teams know that if they're going to beat Washington, they're going to have to do it in the 1st half. Honestly, though. 8-1-2 is pretty damn spiffy. I have confidence they can keep on keeping on.

6. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The final spot on the team had come down to Brazilian forward Roseli and rookie defender Casey Zimny."

One of these days I'm finally going to snap out and ask him what the heck he sees in Tracey Milburn.

The article also glosses over the Cookie-Frenchie trade, which is a lot more arguable (then and now) than the Jacqui-Pretinha trade that gets the verbage.

7. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Pat Farmer raised a stink about this right before the playoffs last season....

Can a traveling squad bring the entire team or are they still limited to only 16?

8. GoFreedom

GoFreedom New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Good question,

Because if you need a goal late in the game, it would be nice to have Beard as an option. Instead if only 16 travel, your stuck with Zimny as the last sub, because Mia, Little, and Gerardo will already have gone in.

You would think they would allow 18 for the playoffs, but I guess that would take away part of the home field advantage.

9. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a good point: with the restriction of 16, you have to have already decided who all your subs are going to be - you can't skew offensively or defensively based on the situation.

10. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    What is Mak's status? Will she be playing at all against Philly?

11. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Here's the thing about Mia. Her mere presence on the field gives her team tremendous confidence, as well as putting the fear of God in the opposition.
    I think letting the team play for 45 mins then bringing her in at the half is a good idea. This game has the potential of going into overtime. The only way she should come in any earlier is if it gets out of hand. Then they can sub her in just to calm things down and get the team to the locker room with a shot a winning.

Carrie Moore will be essential. This is probably the biggest game of her career. She absolutely needs to shut Pichon down. If you give Pichon an inch she'll score. If you go by our last meeting with them it looks good. Philly was at the height of their game, they were essentially unstoppable at that point, and we damn near won. Attribute that to our defense.

I'm going to be the mean one here and say it. Zimny needs to stay on the bench. I'm all for giving people a shot and an opportunity to learn but not this game. She's shaky and makes mistakes that lead to goals. Why is she always subbed in anyway? They put her in and take Sky or Carrie out. What do we need more; fresh legs or solid play?

Siri must be magnificent.

And I have a feeling that Abby and a healthy Bai Jie are going to give the Philly back line a hard time.

As I see it we have the advantage.
    1. Philly has been playing on cruise control.
    2. In our last meeting the Freedom was just starting to heat up. Philly has not faced a team like the "current" Freedom before. We're gonna surprise them.

12. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Well hopefully Carrie Moore can make it through the entire game without asthma/breathing problems.

13. Charge!

Charge! Member

May 7, 2001
    BSG 75
  14. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    Interesting suggestion, but doesn't really make sense. The same could be said of anyone. If this person had converted that chance, if this person hadn't made that mistake, etc etc. And if the outcome of that game were different, both teams' mentalities would have been different, influencing the results for the later games...

So no, Mia didn't cost the Freedom second place.

-Jen

15. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carrie seems to match up well against Pichon and had her best game so far against her. My impression is that Pichon is an opportunist and can destroy a flat back line with her timing. But put someone on her one-on-one, and she has a much harder time of it.

I thought Casey looked a lot better in the New York game once she had a few touches and could settle down. It's got to be tough coming in the last ten minutes - one mistake, and that's all anyone remembers. She went in for Carrie the one time because Carrie had asthma problems. Usually she goes in for Pu Wei as a late defensive substitution, not that that helped in the Philly game.

Certain Philly fans seem to think that Melissa Moore is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I think Siri's been challenged more and is better under pressure. I'd take her before Moore if it comes to PKs, too.

16. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    Re: Something to ponder, Freedom fans...

No not really. Not loosing any sleep over it.

17. Poirot

Poirot New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    USA
    I certainly hope that Philadelphia has been on cruise control, as you guys say. To me, watching the last few games, Philly's offense dont look so great. Pichon hasnt really gotten back to her "regular scoring self" since she fractured her toe. Usually, the key to the Charge's success is their possesion at midfield.

The statistics of the past few games favor Washington. I think this is potentially one of the most exciting games of the year. Its a pity - I would have really wanted to see these two teams in the final.

18. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me, too. Not to incite any Courage or Beat fans, but I see this as a bigger matchup than the final - I think whoever wins this game will go in as the favorite.

19. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Gotta agree with you on this SCF.

------------------------------

From Yahoo! Sports:

Hamm makes part-time MVP case as WUSA playoffs begin
    By JOSEPH WHITE
    AP Sports Writer
    August 12, 2002

20. Alana1079

Alana1079 New Member

Jun 9, 2002
    Backwoods, Florida
    It's only Tuesday and I'm already nervous about the game this weekend. When Saturday gets here I'll be a nervous wreck.

From what we've seen the last two times Washington and Philly have played, I'd have to give the AD to Washington. If C.Moore can shut down Pichon, which I have full confidence she can and will, and no one (Casey) makes a serious mistake, I think we're golden.

If anything, Washington can take a page from Atlanta's book in their match vs. Philly last weekend. That was an ass-whoopin.

How many people do we think Washington can bus to Philly so we have some support?

21. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    150 last I checked - call and reserve your spot on the Freedom roadtrip by calling 202-547-3137. Trip is $50, but it is FREE if you purchase 2003 season tickets.

22. outsidehitter

outsidehitter New Member

Jul 27, 2002
    PK list, anyone?

23. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  24. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States