8/17: Beat v Courage [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FearM9, Aug 17, 2002.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Stone is an excellent coach at getting the team to the game ready and able and well prepped.

He is absolutely HORRIBLE, mucht of the time during the game. His bellowing from the side lines sounds like a moose in heat and does no good. He is trying to play the game for the players instead of coaching it. He needs to learn that soccer is NOT basketball and, during the game the coach should not have constant input into play.

In fact much of what he does is in DIRECT violation of FIFA laws. Those laws allow NO technical coaching and only limited tactical coaching. That is it is ok to say to the team "Switch to the 4-4-2" and to call out the positions to do it but it is NOT allowed to say something like "Sawa, go back and cover Riisa."

In fact the best soccer coaches pass almost all of their instructions to the players through players off the ball and away from the play and you never see or hear them doing it.

Soccer is a PLAYERS game. It is NOT basketball and the coaches should SHUT UP!

In the best coached soccer teams world wide the coaches are almost never heard from during the game.

If the WUSA refs had any guts at all Stone and the other loud mouthed coaches would be ejected for at least half of the games and the games would be better because of it.

Again, Stone is excellent at getting the team to the field ready to play he just behaves stupidly on the sidelines and costs his team a lot more than he gains and he, and the Beat, paid for it this year with much poorer game play than if the players were allowed to play the game and make their own technical decissions.

2. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll have to disagree with this interpretation of the FIFA LOTG. The latter statement would be considered "tactical", too. In fact, FIFA has gone so far as to allow coaches to leave the bench area to pass instructions to their players as long as they immediately return to the bench (aka "technical area").

OTOH, I agree wholeheartedly with the next statement.
    Amen.

At the youth level I have told the puppetmaster-style coaches that micro-manage the game to "zip it" and watch their players play. Most times they thank me after the game. They are surprised to see how well their teams play without the constant barrage of commands. :)

3. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just 120 degrees in the air. :)

When's the next hurricane due?

5. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nsa,

You misunderstood what I meant when I said that an instruction like, "Sawa, go back and cover Riisa" was not allowed.

I was not talking about a tactical change as in telling Sawa to man mark Riisa rather I was talking about a run of play technical instruction where Sawa was being told how to play her position by being told when and how to recover or where to run to during active play, both technical not tactical.

Also Stone does NOT return to his position. Once he gets started he stands on the edge of the technical area and bellows continuously.

He is obnoxious during play and his instructions are unable to be implemented in time to do any good they only bring the sport into disrepute and lowering the level of his team's play.

By the time the players hear his technical instructions and interpret them and try to execute them it is almost always too late and the instruction is wrong at the time.

At the speed any team above U11 plays the coach only hurts the team by ANY technical instruction during the run of play.

Of course the worst instruction I ever hear in youth soccer is SHOOT. When the coach or a Mom or Dad yells "Shoot" it is almost always exactly what the poor kid was trying to do and he/she hears a voice of authority and looses concentration and the shot goes WAY off target or is even whiffed.

Maybe refs should be given the same authority to use restraints as judges. I would LOVE to see some coaches and/or parents sitting on the sidelines in gags an a straight jacket. This is true at ALL levels of play.

6. One_Ahead

One_Ahead New Member

LOL :)

7. Poirot

Poirot New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    USA
    I was wondering if any of you guys observed Tom Stone after the game - after he lost. Does he show any emotion?

8. flix

flix New Member

May 22, 2001
    best kept secret
    Not sure about this past Saturday, but as norm (at least what I've observed), Tom is usually very excited after a big win. Jumps up and pumps up his arms to the crowd. When they lose, he usually is pretty calm. Other than those few BIG GAMES you can't tell from his mannerism whether they have won or lost.

9. flix

flix New Member

May 22, 2001
    best kept secret
  10. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    I certainly haven't been able to get it down yet... ::sigh::

11. melbrown

melbrown New Member

Aug 27, 2001
    After the game ended, he (as well as most of the team) came over in front of our section and clapped and cheered for us.

Nikki Serlenga did the "we're not worthy" bowing motion to the crowd. That was pretty funny.