8/17: Beat v Courage [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FearM9, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    How did it happen?
    Was the Carolina PK legit?
    How about the red card and the continuing of play whan Sawa was hurt?

2. piper

piper New Member

3. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Sun Wen?

Why didn't Sun Wen play?

4. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    THe numbers up finally really showed up the extra player came unmarked after a Scurry save and Overbeck puts the ball away into an empty net.

THis is probably the correct result based on control of the game but it could have been so different if Julie had kept her head just a bit better.

It was clear that it was going to take luck to get to PKs as Carolina was much fresher looking and winning most of the loose balls.

2-1 Carolina and the final is set.

5. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
  6. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Nuttuck is at the top of the 18 and is surrounded by several Beat defenders and then she somehow lays off a pass to an unmarked Overbeck on the near post and she gets it in with her left foot.

Actually I think Bri deflected it and it ended up going to Overbeck.

Damnit!

7. piper

piper New Member

As mad as I am right now, I have to say that those girls played their hearts out.

8. piper

piper New Member

Oh yeah, I broke my brush and knocked the coat hanger thing off the wall when I slammed the door to come over here.

9. Mel10

Mel10 New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    in your underpants
    Oh well, what can you do. Nice season girls.

10. LomaB8

LomaB8 New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Hamilton,ON
    Damn that's too bad. Unfortunately we just couldn't hold on to that lead. I didn't think overtime would favour us. Damn shame though. Next year.........

11. piper

piper New Member

Exactly.

Just think, they're about 10,000,000,000 more times disappointed than we are right now.

But, they're are Beat and we still love them.

Christmas wish #1: Nut-tuck to tear her nuts apart while she's diving. That's a season ending injury, folks.

Chirstmas wish #2: For the Freedom to RIP THE CO-ED'S APART! I wanna see TR crying her wee little eyes out.

I'll think of more later.

12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The two teams that lost in the senis last year went in VASTLY different directions, The Beat need to try to emulate Philly's change NOT New Yorks!

13. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Oh well. I didn't see the match so I can't make much in the way of comments. I hope the officiating was fair. Each side got a PK, but it seems Atlanta got called for a lot of fouls (generally uncharacteristic this season).

I am proud of the team. My only fear is that the Beat might became the Braves of baseball. Get them next year.

14. piper

piper New Member

:|

*blinks*

I'm not saying the Beat didn't play phisical and that they didn't deserve any fouls to be called on them, but uh, the Carolina Co-Eds are a bunch of fish outta water flopping and diving all over the place.

Then again I'm biased.

15. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Does anyone have a copy of the match that they can send me so I can see it?

16. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The PK was BS (and I don't mean these message boards. Miller clearly had the ball first and then Risse flopped over her legs. God she is such a diver. Oh well, there's still the Freedom in the Final! Let's go beat the ************ out of the lions Washington!

17. AAGunner3

AAGunner3 Member

Feb 14, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should have lost the game anyway..

When Augustiniak stupidly carded out, that 'should' have been it. Thank God Carolina couldn't shoot worth a darn and we have the best goalie on our side. Took Carolina getting a late make up call for them to tie us. And then it was just a matter of superior numbers.

You're right, on replay it looked clean to me. No jersey pulling on the tackle, no sweep with the trailing leg, and a definite boot on the ball. The ref was probably looking for a decent opportunity for a make up call to even our righteous PK. Chalk it up to home field advantage for Carolina.

But this all begs a question of sorts: If Hooper hadn't let her ego get the better of her earlier in the season and gotten suspended by the league, would we have done well enough to earn home field advantage and maybe some of the breaks? By no means is this all her fault, but I'd much rather Hooper swallow her pride a little and ensure her presence on the field next year leading our team to our first championship.

Did anyone else notice the lack of ties in our results? Our state are mostly wins and losses. The teams ahead of us got a number of ties that earned them points and kept them ahead of us.

Thanks for a wonderful season ladies. Let's win it all next year!

18. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Re: We should have lost the game anyway..

Us get a break at Hearndon?!? What, are you kidding me?

19. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From the Durham Herald Sun:

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/soccer/48-258400.html

I know some of us love the fact that we are thugs....

Out of all the matches this season...how many times has the Beat out-fouled it's opponents? Is there a direct correlation between the number of fouls the Beat commit and the games they win/lose?

20. Poirot

Poirot New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    USA
  21. Weymouth Dave

Weymouth Dave Member

Mar 4, 2001
    Weymouth
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Atlanta pulled into too extreme of a shell at the end and it cost them.Have to blame the Human PA System for that.

22. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    THAT was called a penalty?!?!? You have to be kidding me!

I hate to say it, but perhaps "we was robbed"!

23. David

David Member

Jun 2, 2000
    It's tough to decide on the sequence from a single static picture. You also need more views from different angles. Rise is already well on the way down and Miller's right foot is almost in full view (meaning it wasn't in full contact with the ball). Unless there was no contact (which I doubt) I'm guessing Miller's left leg contacted Rise first before the extended right leg got the ball. Given the almost full view of the foot, it's hard to imagine it the other way around.

24. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    First of all:
    Yellow team sucks!

That said, the result was "fair". Maybe the call for the Carolina PK could have been not made, but then there were two earlier clear fouls not called for Courage PKs, plus Tsapos was clearly reaching for cards on both Hooper and Bivens, but stopped when he realized he was about to send off yet another Beat player. Tsapos never had control of the game.

But Atlanta can only blame themselves. They took one shot in the second half. That was in the 90th minute. If you allow the top scoring team in the league to attack for 75 out of 90 minutes, they will score a goal almost every time.

It's a tough loss. I never thought I'd see the day in which McDermott outcoached Tom Stone, but yesterday was that day. Tom Stone, a-hole that he is, is a very good coach. I completely disagree with the way the Beat played the game, though.

Tough loss. Assuming WUSA plays next year, you guys definitely still have plenty of talent, and I expect you'll free up some salary room if Wen is gone.

25. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    It was a great game, hard fought on both sides. Let's not fall into the loser's trap of blaming the refs. There were blown calls for both sides. Given that we were a man down for 40 minutes, we played very well. No shame in a loss in overtime to a talented team when you're one man down. The Founder's Cup should be a great game. At least it won't be 120 degrees on the field like it was in Villanova.