8/15: Sky Blue FC @ Freedom 4PM

Discussion in 'NJ/NY Sky Blue' started by soccerboy8815, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    *Runs around in circles* Who?!? Sky Blue!

2. Peg Hopper

Peg Hopper Member

Aug 4, 2004
    On the Border
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats......I was puzzled at the beginning of the season when NJ picked up Branam after being released by Chicago, with the other keepers they had, but as the season wore on, I got it.....very nice game today! I hope she is OK to continue playing on Wed. Branam and Kai are clearly MVPs for the game. Congrat to Rapone on a big time win, as player coach.

3. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be interested to see what kind of shape Branam's in for Wednesday. She wasn't taking any free kicks or goal kicks because she was hurting so bad at the end of the game. She's a tough cookie, that's for sure. With Bardsley playing for England, that leaves Alexander with no playing time as the backup.

4. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
    I figured it out today after a season of agony. Jen just insults herself so much by talking that I can't insult her any worse.

5. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If for some reason Branham can't go then St.Louis just got a playoff bonus and the game just may have gotten a little easier.

6. Mille_RULZ

Mille_RULZ New Member

Dec 1, 2006
    New JACK City, NY
    But Sky Blue was in the Blue kit today..... I'm not a orange shirt fave. Orange trim on Blue works (New York City, The Mets...etc)

7. CoachJon

CoachJon Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Sky Blue earned the victory, especially due to the play of the mids and forwards working together and Branam being MVP. Rampone has done a fine job as coach.

BTW I really like the orange kits, and it has nothing to do with me going to Syracuse:D.

8. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks pretty orange to me:

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, congrats to Sky Blue. They were definitely the better team on the day and came more ready to play than the Freedom.

9. cobi13

cobi13 Member

Aug 16, 2004
    NY
  10. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree that using Kai and Francielle as supersubs was a great idea - reminiscent (for us old-timers) of how Gabarra used Mia Hamm in 2002 when she was still recovering from knee surgery and wasn't 90 minutes fit. Disagree about the out-coaching. I think it's more about out-rostering because the Freedom simply have no depth at forward and are therefore unable to make similar substitutions. The best the Freedom could have done would have been to save De Vanna for the second half, but then they'd have to put a converted midfielder like Moros or Long up top.

11. Stepup

Stepup New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Congratulations to Sky Blue on beating a good Washington team. Bompastor was missed. I have said all season that Sky Blue can play with anyone. I give them allot of credit with all the off field distractions that went on. I watched the weekly predictions and many people always had Sky Blue losing if only by 1. I attended 8 home games and knew what they were capable of. They are a good team with speed and a great defense. They have one of the better midfields with Averbuch and McCallum while Parker,O'Reilly, and White are very versatile. Kai has become a much better all around player since her early days with the WNT. Branam has been a great surprise and I hope she is ok.

12. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and the game got easier a few weeks ago when McLeod was playing for Canada and Spisak started and then Nicci Wright came in for the last 30 minutes for Washington. I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily, but it doesn't always work that way. We've seen it from backup keepers all year. They've all stepped up their game when they get in. It might be okay for fans to think that way, but if players think that way, it's the quickest way to end up watching the final on television.

That being said, Branam is quick and fearless. Outside from a few mishaps early on (the fumble on the Kelly Smith goal against the Breakers), she has been tough in goal. And to me, she will be facing far easier forwards to deal with against Athletica, than she did today with Wambach and DeVanna.

So Hanks scored the game winner against Chicago. Francielle scored the game winner today. Isn't it Walsh's turn now?;)

13. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    agree and good point.

14. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    agree great tactical moves by coaching staff...using Kai to bring energy in the 2nd half...having collete at attacking mid and rosanna up b/c she likes offense and moving white to the mid where she has played mostly before joining sky blue prove to be huge for sky blue. Good job rampone:)

just read the above article..i not sure he knows positions..rosanna didn't even play midfield today....and I personalyy thought averbuch controled the middle quite well and played one of her better games..now she did take some long shots that she probably shouldn't have and the outside mids played patient and the possession game like the staff wanted. Hanks hustled but nothing out of th ordinalry... diiference in this game was Kai's energy and the 4 mids pretty much outplayed thier midfield. Washingtons main offense is from either the goalie to the forwards or whitehill to the forwards! they still have chnaces with that.

15. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alexander was their #1 draft pick but had a preseason injury, which I think made Ian go looking for a replacement and get Branam.

16. dianamo-superstriker

Sep 30, 2007
    California