8/14 Champions League -- Inter v. Sporting (R)

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Selecao2002, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    I figured I would get this thread up and running in anticpation of the game Wednesday at the Alvalade. Eight Sporting players missed training today due to injuries (physical and mental), including Marcos Paulo, Tello, Paíto, Nélson, Custódio, Sá Pinto and Jardel.

2. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Sporting gets somewhat of a reprieve in that Ronaldo will miss the match. Still, the Lions will be prohibitive underdogs. Cannavaro may make his debut for Inter, who lists its available players as:

Goalkeepers: Fontana, Toldo

Defenders: Adani, Cannavaro, Coco, Cordoba, Materazzi, Pasquale, Sorondo, J. Zanetti

Midfielders: Almeyda, Conceicao, Dalmat, Di Biagio, Guly, Morfeo

Forwards: Corradi , Kallon, Vieri, Recoba

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/aug12f.html

3. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Norwegian official Rune Pederson to preside over the game.

4. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
  5. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Sporting’s list of players for today’s game incluyes new signee (on loan from Milan) Kutuzov.

Starters (probable) Tiago, Beto, Quiroga, Contreras, César Prates, Rui Bento, Paulo Bento, Rui Jorge, Ricardo Quaresma, Niculae and Pedro Barbosa.

Bench (probable) - Nuno Santos, Hugo, Ricardo Fernandes, Toñito, Carlos Martins, Danny, Cristiano Ronaldo, Luís Filipe and Kutuzov.

6. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Starters announced:

INTER - Toldo, Javier Zanetti, Córdoba, Materazzi, Coco, Sérgio Conceição, Di Biagio, Dalmat, Morfeo, Vieri and Kallon.

Reserves: Fontana, Guly, Cannavaro, Corradi, Recoba, Almeyda e Pasquale.

SPORTING - Tiago, Contreras, Beto, Quiroga, César Prates, Rui Bento, Pedro Barbosa, Rui Jorge, Toñito, Niculae and Quaresma.

Reserves: Nuno Santos, Hugo, Kutuzov, Ricardo Fernandes, Paulo Bento, Luís Filipe and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Great to see Sergio among the starters for Inter; you never know with Cuper. I am surprised that Paulo Bento does not start.

7. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Danny and Carlos Martins were left off the roster for the game.

8. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    These last minute announcements are really annoying. I have been checking the RTPi programming guide for days, and couldn't find any listing on Sporting x Inter. Boom, all in a sudden this game is televised live. I mean, I didn't find out about this telecast until 2 hours after the final whistle.

I suspect they put the telecast on the listing only on game day. This is the type of non-planning that turns viewers off.

9. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Sporting Clube de Portugal 0-0 Internazionale FC
    Sporting stifled by Inter

Internazionale FC emerged the happier party from their UEFA Champions League third qualifying round first-leg match against Sporting Clube de Portugal as they held their hosts to a scoreless draw in Lisbon...

UEFA
    [​IMG]

10. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Tell me about it. What's worse is when they something is going to be on, and don't show it.

11. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    Sporting squandered a great opportunity last night to gain an advantage on Inter Milan. I thought Sporting held play for most of the game, until Recoba entered and completely took over.

Sporting fans are still angry over the non-call on Niculae, who was pulled down in the box by Cordoba. Pedro Barbosa was all over the field, but probably should have done better with an opportunity late in the first half, when he tried a chip to Niculae who was on a far post run rather than taking a shot himself.

Sporting keeper Tiago made a couple of brilliant saves to preserve the shutout. All in all, not a bad effort from Sporting since it was missing its two key offensive players -- JVP and Jardel.

12. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA
    BTW, for Sporting fans who saw the game (if anyone is not on vacation), you have to be encouraged by just the sheer talent of Quaresma and Christian Ronaldo, who was a second half sub. Both of these teenagers promise to develop into something special. While they still have a ways to go and much on which to improve, you can argue with the inherent skills that are already there at a very tender age.