8/10: Freedom v Power PRE-GAME

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by FearM9, Aug 7, 2002.

1. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Well the Freedom have secured one of the four playoff spots but there is an outside chance that come August 17th, the Freedom could be playing at home. What is Jimmy's strategy for this match? Do you give some of the players some well deserved rest? Do players like Meredith Beard finally get some playing time in the last regular season match? How is Mak doing? Blah blah blah.

I don't think the Power pose any sort of serious threat now. They got whupped this past weekend 4-1. Boston outshot them 20-4! :eek:

Oh yeah...this match will be reaired on CSN at 1am on 8/11. Don't know the reairing date/times for MSG.

2. asfoolasiam

asfoolasiam New Member

Jul 2, 2001
    Takoma Park
    Club:
    DC United
    After tonight, that chance may be nil. Carolina plays NY, and if the Courage win (as they should), they clinch the home game.

3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Start Milburn and Rigamat!

4. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Well, we now know we have nothing to play for Saturday, we are locked into third place no matter what. Other than not playing anyone nursing a nagging injury, I feel strongly that we should not change a thing. Keep doing what is working - we have a week between the ATL and NY games and a week between NY and the semifinal, so there's no need to rest anyone. Besides, we DO have something to play for - who wants to be known as the team NY beat twice in 2002?!

5. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point! :D

6. soccerbabyusa

soccerbabyusa Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Virginia
    Play Kathy Hoverman! :)

If we gotta secure spot why don't we start all the subs we can?

7. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually asked Kathy about that, and she said she can't play unless Siri or Erin is injured. She's available for any postseason exhibition games, though, so maybe we'll see her on the field this fall.

8. GoFreedom

GoFreedom New Member

Mar 24, 2002
    Maybe you'll see her, but I doubt the other reserves. Once the season ends they stop getting paid, so if they play it is on their time. Rigamat and Sarah kate also cannot play unless there is an injury. With Cookie being out I am sure Sarah Kate will play this weekend, but probably not Rigamat.

Personally, I hope Little and Beard get the start this weekend. After a long seaon of working hard, they deserve some time.

9. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  10. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to go along with that. Jacqui's made some good things happen for the team that aren't immediately obvious from the highlight reel (like forcing the corner kick that led to the winning goal on Sunday and stealing a throwin that led to the winning goal against San Diego). Beard at the very least deserves more of a chance than Milburn.

11. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    No way - Play Siri the full 90.

Siri didn't play against Atlanta. She needs to play a full 90 against NY or she will be rather rusty when called upon in PHI/CAR.

12. sebakoole

sebakoole New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    I thought I read somewhere that Gabarra wants Mak and Mia to both play a full 90 to get them in match shape for next week's playoff. Can't remember where I saw that...

13. OnTheSidelines

OnTheSidelines New Member

where are they now?

Nice little Kathy Hoverman note: She was named the W-League's goalkeeper of the year for the time she spent down playing for Hampton Roads. She gave up 5 goals in 7 games for a GAA of 0.80.

By the way, Kacy Beitel and Amy Gray, who were on the Freedom's reserve roster last year, are playing for the Denver Lady Cougars in the W-League and are playing tonight in Vancouver against the Boston Renegades for a spot in the championship game. Kacy is the team's leading scorer. Keri Sarver also had a good season for Maryland, with 9 goals and 7 assists.

http://w-league.blogspot.com

14. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: where are they now?

Thanks for the info - I was wondering what happened to some of these folks. I actually went out to see Keri Sarver play for the Pride some weeks ago, but I've only seen her play about as much for the Pride as for the Freedom because she sprained her ankle early on in the game and had to come out.

15. soccerbabyusa

soccerbabyusa Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Virginia
    Re: where are they now?

Sweet! Congrats to Hoverman!

Good point! We need our starting keeper ready for that game.

16. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A sleeping giant awakens

Heck of a way to refer to our Abby!

Meanwhile, I don't see any great surprises in the starting lineup - looks like the same one as for Atlanta except for Siri instead of Erin.

17. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Regardless of the outcome of today's game against the woeful Power (3-16-1), the Freedom won't know whom they will face in the playoffs until tomorrow night, after the Courage's game at San Diego."

Not true - if the Charge win today, they're in first place due to the tiebreaker, and we'll play the Courage.