7 Nation Army

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by wu-tang beez, May 23, 2007.

1. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    Anyone notice the fans humming the White Stripes, "Seven Nation Army?" at the CL final today? The 1st time I heard this was the wk after edgefest from our section started by Cupcake. Since then, it's parsed our old songs in every match-including the televised home and away matches. Last wk I noticed Chitcago Section 8 using the same 7 nation army song on TV. Now I hear Beatles fans faintly doing it at the Champion's League final. What gives? Who started this trend? Could the influence of the 116ers be that far reaching?

I'm for doing AC/DC's riff 'Black in Black' everytime Toja does something noteworthy. Afterall, we already have Thunder Struck for Shaka.

2. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As nice as it would be to claim that, it just isn't the case.

I was watching a 2006 World Cup documentary on sopcast this moring (which is really good, go watch it if you have a good, fast connection) and there were fans doing the 7NA chant during one of the matches.

Also, go to youtube.com and search for 7NA videos, it is a pretty big deal in Europe and is getting big in the U.S. now too.

It seems to be the new "ole, ole, ole."

3. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently our FO would rather us learn Clay Aiken songs to sing.

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I wonder if Jack White had any inkling that this song would have such an effect?

I do enjoy the 7NA chant, but I feel it's been overdone recently. It's damn hard to do for a long time. Too fast paced, takes the breath out of ya.

5. I had some ideas for US(M/W)NT songs ... maybe kinda corny but isn't that what makes them great? How do I "audition" them? Does anyone even care? At least they would be our own songs and not some rip-off of Brazil or Europe ... and they might spark some more ideas from people more talented than me. Hmm?

6. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Can they be applied to FC Dallas?

7. Yeah, they're pretty generic, just fill in some blanks and you're there .. I "made them up" (words only, tunes are not made up) with the MNT in mind, esp. WC02 and WC06.

8. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Alright, well post some ideas here, we can always try them at FCD games. We are always looking for new chant ideas. You should also hop over to www.the-inferno.net and join the forum. Lots of chant and song ideas over there.

9. Thanks for the tip, I'll try to do that.

10. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Don't mean this in a bad way at all TheDallasPerspective(welcome to BigSoccer by the way) but as one of the leaders of the Inferno the songs are much much more dependent on the tunes rather than the words. If there's too many words it's too complicated. That being said just let us know what the songs are and we'll do our best to integrate them in.

11. Thanks for the welcome, I don't take it in a bad way at all. For all I know, my ideas suck but you never know till you put them in front of someone.

The tunes are all familiar/easy, patriotic marches, fight songs, American folk music. Pretty easy, nothing unfamiliar.

But .. do I just go to an inferno tailgate and meet "Joe" and audition? How do I get my ideas in front of the powers-that-be? Here's one idea:

For (M/W)NTs, to the tune of Semper Paratus (or the Coast Guard March or the North Mesquite HS fight song):

Land of the free, home of the brave!
    God bless the U - S - A!
    Her purple mountain majesty
    Above the fruited plain!

O, sing for the Yankee football team
    For Yanks, we're proud to be
    Red, white, and blue, we'll e'er be true
    Let's roll on to victory!

Heck, I even made up some lyrics to the Snow Miser/Heat Miser song from that old Christmas special.

12. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES - go to the tailgate, introduce yourself!

Choose a beverage, chat for a while, ask for Boomer or Warren or Gordon.

As far as 'auditioning', the best way is to join the Inferno in 116 and just get a couple of people to sing / chant with you. But if you can teach it to a few people at the tailgate it is more likely to catch on quickly.

Or go on the bus to Houston on June 3! Captive audience and all that...

14. Thanks for the tip. Maybe no one will like it but oh well, beer still tastes the same. I'm glad I finally get to tell some folks the idea.

15. FCDfan

FCDfan Member

Apr 23, 2007
    McKinney, TX
    According to an NPR story I heard last year ... The 7NA chant started with domestic supporters of the Italian National Team about 2 years ago, leading up to the 2006 WC ... A spokesman for the band was aware of the phenomenon but had no idea why or how it started ...