7/7 USA vs Cuba pregame thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by scaryice, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Sandon, I don't know exactly where you live but on my DirecTV (Howard County) it's channel 14.

14 - Telefutura
    402 - Univision
    404 - Galavision

If you have local channels with your DTV, it should be the only remaining Spanish language channel that is not 402 or 404.

2. DonCorleone

DonCorleone New Member

Jun 21, 2005
    NY state.
    U have to figure it out yourself because it has no logo on the screen or local listing, i found it by mistake actualy, i found a channel beside Galavision, Univision and Telemundo which has spanish language speaking in their programs so i thought this must be the Telefutura, and i was right.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    IS it showing Police Academy 3, in Spanish, right now? That's the one I think is Telefutura.

4. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Wait, PA3 just ended. Now it's Harry y los Hendersons.

5. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't get it up here. :( Not on my cable,and the over-the-air antenna I bought yesterday specially to see these games does not help....

6. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    i live in orange county ca and have cox cable - i dont believe they have telefutura on any of their teirs. Is it possible to use the ole rabbit ears to get a feed from anywhere?

7. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    try searching the threads for 'telefutura'. i'm pretty sure u can use rabbit ears and get telefutura (it will be the only spanish station that's NOT univision or telemundo) on broadcast.

8. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

lol

that would be the one.

9. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

o.k..then I will wear some american t-shirt and join to these young players..
    would be fun to play with american players....i can pretend i was american:)
    maybe i will score for you......i would like to try it..

10. gohb

gohb Member

Apr 27, 2001
    If Lester Moré had the chance to develop outside Cuba, I think he could be better than Jason Roberts (who will be playing in the English Premier League next season). But even if he isn't as good as Roberts is right now, he's good, and has a much better supporting cast. Not that he's likely to go crazy against a team in the USA's class, but he's a legitimate threat. He was a handful against Costa Rica in the qualifiers.

11. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if this will help you, but I attached my radio antenna to my TV and I got great reception of Telefutura. I have no idea if a radio antenna is technically different than a TV antenna...but it might be worth a shot.

12. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    An antenna is an antenna. They're all the same 50 or 75 ohm impedance and deal with very small voltages so you can't hurt your TV by trying different things. Another possibility might be to pick up a cheap ($20 or $30) amplified antenna from RadioShack or some such place. (RadioShack has a pretty liberal return policy so you're not risking anything.) Telefutura is usually in the UHF channels which often are a bit underpowered.

14. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whats the over/under on defections?

15. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    How many does this hold? :)

[​IMG]

16. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought a 25db(whatever that means) "amplified" antenna for about $30, no luck.

Anyone in S. Fla north of Miami able to get channel 69 over the air??

17. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you have any Cuban restaurants with TVs in your area?

19. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Guatemala is vastly underrated as you mentioned, they'd be worth a small bet, as would Canada (who always seems to play well in the GC). On the other hand I'd stay far away from Colombia and South Africa at those prices. Aside from the fact that neither team is that great to start with, SA is bringing a weak squad and guest teams never seem to do all that well in the GC (even Brazil only won it once in 3-4 tries if I'm not mistaken).

In terms of single games (odds from VIPSports.com), draws between Canada-Costa Rica (+225) and Guatemala-Jamaica (+220) look appealing.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'll set it at two.

On the one hand, any life here is better than living as a communist in an economically depressed place where there are minimal civil liberties. So, why not defect?

On the other hand, these guys are soccer players and I'm guessing they like playing, both for their clubs and their national team. And, I'm sure they've seen what's happened to other Cuban defectors. The guys who played for the Rapids had to wait for like two years to get a team then got cut after less than a full season in MLS. Who knows where they are now.

Other Cubans have defected but haven't landed in MLS and as far as I know, there's only one - Eduardo Sebrango, currently with Montreal - in the A-League, USL-1.

So, they've seen that players who defect don't end up continuig to play. So, it comes down to whether they put soccer ahead of their lives as a whole. I'm sure at least one will roll the dice - this Lester More sounds like he has a real future in the game and could play over here - but after that I don't know, which is why I set the over/under at two.

One seems likely, three not so much. So, two would be the push, the safe bet that an odds-maker would set.

21. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    as red card points out, costa rica advanced over cuba on AWAY goals...

2-2 in cuba

and 1-1 in saprissa...

so, you want to get cocky about cuba, any team capable of going 3-3 with costa rica ain't a bad side...

saw the two matches on telemundo, and cuba reminds me of panama so much....

while usa should control the match, it won't be as easy as some imagine...

think haiti 1-1, and that's all we need to recollect....

22. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    And we beat Costa Rica 3-0. There is no way we score less than 3 goals against Cuba.

23. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    i'm just saying cuba is NOT crap...

and as someone pointed out, usa only beat cuba 1-0 in the recent past....

I'd agree usa should control the run of play and win by a couple goals...

arena could easily call off the dogs if usa is up 2-0......

he'd be more interestd in killing the match, then seeing it open up..

24. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    They are the worst team in the tournament.

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Try Ch. 53 out of Jupiter also.