7/7 Gold Cup: US vs. Cuba Post Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dark knight, Jul 8, 2005.

1. OneArmSteve

OneArmSteve New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    It's simple. Lando kicks ass and Dempsey will be a player very shortly.

2. danny_mac3

danny_mac3 New Member

May 19, 2005
    France & USA
    Forgive my ignorance, but I have been out of the US for a while and haven't seen Eddie Johnson play. I must ask, is he that good? He's got to be better than Casey, but is he a target striker or just crafty like LD?

3. smock7

smock7 Member

Aug 4, 2004
    New York City
    Game after game, and still no left back. Is JOB here to stay? Tony Sanneh looked like a wet asparagus out there.

4. nimitivd

nimitivd Member

Mar 27, 2005
    las vegas

yeah when you put it that way your right... :D

5. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dubious?

Nothing dubious about that. After he kicked the ball notice how his foot then shot out into Olsen's chest? He did that on purpose.

6. reddog694

reddog694 Member

Jun 1, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually thought Davis did okay out there. He seemed to be the only one out there with ideas/offense in the first half.

His dead balls needed to be better and he tired in the second half, but I wouldn't mind seeing more from him.

7. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone else find it kinda retro that at the end of the game we were playing a 3-6-1. :)

Wolff
    Beaser O Brien Donavan Dempsey Santino
    Armas
    Sanneh Conrad Dude

And that we played the entire game with just one true centerback.

Donovan changed the entire game for us and we played 10X better once he came in and Beasley moved to the left.

Say what you will about the starters..perhaps to many new faces at once.

8. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second half was better..what a relief, since out of those 45 second half minutes, we were a player up vs. Cuba for 37+injury time....Vs. a team comprised of many nonprofessionals not used to play a full 90 of soccer at great level, much less whatever level you want to place them at....never mind minus a man.... and we score till the 87th minute.. yeah ,great ...awesome stuff..... Please extend Bruce contract till 2010..We all need the stress... :)

9. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, I didn't think they played horribly (or hot mess as someone elsewhere put it). One mistake in the back that was punished, and just lots of crap finishing until Donovan came in. I mean most of the game was in the Cuban end.

I see why Bruce went three in the back. Cuban D under pressure gave it up more than a frosh Delta Delta Delta. That said, it shouldn't have been that difficult. And LD should not have scored the go-ahead : either the wall was totally messed up or the keeper was out of position and reacted late. I think the guy to the right (LD's left) of the wall took a poor angle charging, but I'd have to see it again. Still, great placement.

Guys who impressed : Conrad (won pretty much every one on one he had), Dempsey (all over the place), Hejduk (who showed himself to be surprisingly frisky and effective going forward tonight)

Guys who sucked raw eggs : Sanneh (doing a wonderful Corky impression on the goal "I'm thorry I missed the ball Becka"), Casey (stay in Germany for good please), Davis (uh, I see why Bruce doesn't call him up)

Others : Donovan played well, but then he should be doing this all the time. Bease I thought was hit or miss - got much better once LD came on. Wolff impressed in his few minutes, and I'm just happy JOB didn't get hurt. Olsen had a lot of energy and was involved, but not always to great effect, but still above average. Armas did what he had to do, didn't notice him which was a good thing. Sonny - I liked him hugging the right touchline, but anytime he got into the box, oi vey. Hahnemann I was just glad that he got some work in, no chance on the goal IMO and didn't have to make any great saves.

10. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not happy with three in the back when 2 of them are Sanneh and Heyduke that can get caught up the field and the other is Conrad who is inexperienced.

11. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently you did not watch the match cause we were not outplayed for 86 mins of this match. Cuba had what 3, 4 actual quality chances on goal the whole match? The US had that many every 5-6 mins. it seemed. The US played sloppy, bad soccer most of the match, but they were far from outplayed.

Would like to see some younger guys get a go in the Defense. What they had out there were way too old and slow.

Looking forward to the next match.

12. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    He's very good, but injured. He's tall, extremely fast and a great leaper. Think of him as the young, pre-injury Josh Wolff with Brian McBride's size and leaping ability.

13. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Casey's getting a bit of a bum rap. He had some nice efforts showing to the ball at the top of the 18 and making quick passes back or lay-offs. His nice layoff to Quaranta, whose shot was brilliantly stopped by the Cuban keeper comes to mind.

Still, he didn't score, which is what he is supposed to do. I suspect a partner at forward may help his game.

14. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    I've seen better passing from U7 teams.

Whatever happened to playing simple? Always trying the cute through doesn't always work.

Oh... and when you want to pass or cross the ball, try not to kick it right at the guy wearing the different colored shirt.

That wacky Arena with his 1-2-5-2 formation... poor Conrad got stuck playing as our only defender. But handled it nicely once he changed studs at halftime.

15. Joel Kennedy

Joel Kennedy New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    ATL
    I think that sums up the first 85 minutes of this game perfectly. It seemed to me the US wasn't lacking in skill but rather leadership & chemistry.

Additionally I thought the straight red was deserved ... didn't realize that people thought it was a dubious call.

16. Bacchanal

Bacchanal New Member

Jul 4, 2004
    New York
    My running thoughts:

I'm surprised this didn't get more play in the mainstream press (read: non-sports press) because it's America vs. Cuba. Certainly I mean before today's events in London.

• They played the Cuba national anthem before the game! That's gotta be a first in a recognized setting. I know that the Cuban baseball team <a href="http://www.cubanet.org/CNews/y99/jan99/20e5.htm"><strong>played the Orioles in an exhibition game</strong></a> in 1999 but I don't know if the Cuban national anthem was played before the game at Camden Yards.

• Someone tell Tony Sanneh the game started.

• The U.S. looks uninterested in the first five minutes. The three-man backfield looks weird.

• Someone tell Tony Sanneh it's ok to jump for a ball.

• Brad Davis! What are you doing shooting from 30 yards out!?!

• Bones is by far the most skilled player on the field. It's a shame no one can seem to get him the ball.

• 'Tino has looked pretty good so far. He's going hard after the ball and making some creative runs.

• Ben Olsen? Hello? You there, lad?

• Goal Clint Dempsey off a great Bones feed. Excellent replay confirms Clint is onside. 'Bout time we got a goal.

• Tony Sanneh ... I know you want to be a midfielder, and you can cross the ball decently well with your left, but if I watch you out of position one more time, I'm taking back your kit.

• This second half has been totally devoid of anything noteworthy except that we continue to miss wide open chances.

• Looks like <i>Il Bruce</i> wants to win as <a href="http://la.galaxy.mlsnet.com/MLS/players/bio.jsp?team=lag&player=donovan_l&playerId=don474618"><b>The Talisman</b></a> enters the game in the 65th.

• Look, Frankie Hejduk drives me crazy, too, but nothing shows more why I love having him on the team then him delivering not one, but two great crosses all while MISSING HIS RIGHT SHOE! I found that incredibly impressive.

• Great to see John O'Brien back on the field. A bit unlucky for Brad Davis to be the odd one out because he had an admirable game but Ben Olsen, I'm sorry it didn't work out.

• Goal for Landon Donovan on a brilliant free kick from 20 yards out! My question is this ... if <i>I</i> saw Josh Wolff point at Wolff's right shoulder while looking at Donovan (put it in the left upper 90, he seemed to say), then how come no one on Cuba's team noticed that?

• Uh oh, here comes the prison break. Goal for Bones (who deserves one tonight) on an assist from the Talisman.

• Donovan's free-kick goal is what one would find if one looked up "back-breaking goal" in the dictionary (assuming that term were actually in the dictionary). Goal for Donovan on a pretty little number from Bones. Let's see Donovan's line: 25 minutes played, 2 goals, 1 assist, seven points. Nice fantasy numbers if you had him.

• Wrapup: Everyone in the world knew we should win this game except the Cubans. Valiant effort by them but, really, we should have scored the touchdown Tino Palace predicted. I think Dempsey's miss almost rivals Vagenas' against RSL or what's his name from West Brom who missed off the goal line.

• What we learned: The U.S. doesn't have the manpower to run a three man backline just yet. <i>Il Bruce</i> has not lost his mind calling up Quaranta but 'Tino is probably two years away from regular senior team callups. We can play well with our C team but we can't win with it. As goes Donovan, so goes the U.S. Beasley has developed tremendously since going to Holland. You listening, Eddie Johnson? Brad Davis has a future on the left side ... excellent crosses. Tony Sanneh? Done. Unless we need a really, really slow midfielder. Goalkeeper? Please don't get hurt, Kasey.

17. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, three out of four isn't bad.

(and I think he wanted to see if Brad Davis was up to snuff. It's called an expirement. We now know he isn't. He just disappeared after the Cuban goal.)

Sonny wasn't MOTM until that point. I thought he played well enought to warrant another look-see, but not MOTM

18. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    If you consider shooting blindley from 30 yards...then yeah... he had ideas

19. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to laugh at the comment "please don't play Beasley in the middle" To that I would say, "does Beasley even have a position" He's where ever the all is ... period. It's a waste of time even trying to describe a position for him.

Casey - biggest contribution was getting hurt. Arena better just forget about him. I'm betting he gets one more chance to show something or else he's history

I for one was not too impressed with Quaranta. He did some good thngs but many bad things. Not giving up yet but he didn't show me too much. I will say that he was willing to try and attack which was more then others.

My MOTM was Dempsey. He played hard for the full 90 and was the only dangerous one until the subs, fatigue and being a man down all kicked in. He could have had 3 goals with some luck and was a part of everything good that happened.

Armas - see ya, get a group travel discount with Sanneah and Olsen

20. Diego Pasley

Diego Pasley Member

Jun 26, 2005
    Lake Ozark, MO
    How did Wolf look...Im a KC fan and he kind of gets lost sometimes...was he lost tonight or was he actually a factor
    ?

21. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matt Reis would have stopped the Cuban goal.

:)

22. Hayduke

Hayduke Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Pleasanton, CA
    Why, are Goose and Ernie Stewart playing?

The only reason we won tonight was because of a dubious straight red.

23. Newman

Newman New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Madison, WI
    Eddie Johnson has size and tons of pace. Most notably, he scores goals in internationals and WC qualifiers at a pace previously unheard of for a US player. Combine tons of athleticism with evident results....Grown Ass Man.

24. brandnew_de

brandnew_de Member

Jun 18, 2005
    CT
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Fleetwood Mac #1 again.