7/7 Gold Cup: US vs. Cuba Post Game Thread [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dark knight, Jul 8, 2005.

1. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    4-1 USA

Goals by Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Damarcus Beasely and Donovan again.

For all the Fire Bruce jokes, he got the result. Anyone want to eat some crow after all the whining about the lineup? I won't hold my breath...

2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    The 4-1 scoreline doesn't change the fact that we played terribly.

3. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Dear Bruce,

Please stop playing Beasley in the middle of the field. He is much more dangerous roaming outside than in getting beat up in the middle.

Additionally, please thank Tony Sanneh for a great World Cup in 2002. It's now 2005 and he is clearly finished as an international player.

Also, thank you for having the conviction to select Santino Quaranta who was the MOTM until Donovan's inclusion.

While your at it, also give Conor Casey his walking papers too. He is clearly hovering below the Ralston Line.

4. reddog694

reddog694 Member

Jun 1, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The score does not do justice to how poor our play (read offense) was in this game. We were 2 minutes away from a 1-1 tie with Cuba. We were bailed out by Landon Donovan's free kick.

A win's a win though...

5. nimitivd

nimitivd Member

Mar 27, 2005
    las vegas
    yeah.. worst played 4-1 win ever.

donovan saved our butts tonight

6. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. 4-1 wasn't deserved until after Cuba was down to 10. Then they were overwhelmed.

7. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad I stayed up for that result, depriving myself of sleep that could have added to my productivity at work tomorrow. Good result, poor match for 90.32% of it. Good night fellas.

8. WFU03

WFU03 Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Singapore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Donovan kid...he seems ok.

9. smock7

smock7 Member

Aug 4, 2004
    New York City
    The C team played horribly together, and DMB isn't much of a leader to tie it all together.

Our Captain just earned his wings, again.

10. dws3665

dws3665 Member

May 30, 2005
    Charleston, SC
    Major props to Dark Knight and others for the excellent pbp! Thanks, guys!

11. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Soccer is a crazy game. We should beat Cuba by 3 goals, yet we didn't deserve that result tonight. I'll take it.

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Yeah -weird game. Like the first day of a 2 week convention where everyone is getting to know each other.

Boy did it get frustrating in the second half. It seemed like Dempsey and Quaranta were doing everything but score.

Amazing though how the offense went north when LD subbed in for Casey.

I'm copasetic.

13. Yank22

Yank22 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    NYC
    To play the way we did against players who arent even professionals... Its a disgrace!!!!! And wat is wrong with Conor Casey???

14. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to point out that I was quite impressed by the play of Tino. Aside from the one slip on the pitch he seemed to be our most dangerous player for most of the match -- I think he clearly justified his inclusion which is much more than I can say for Sanneh, Armas and Olsen.

Also, I thought Dempsey has played better. He seemed to always want to go 1 v 1 instead of working more with his teammates -- when he did the latter he did seem to have good success.

Landon is good.

15. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Fire Bruce?

:)

Yeah, first half was terrible. Second half much better. I thought Quaranta had a good match, probably the best player who went the full 90.

16. Hayduke

Hayduke Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Pleasanton, CA
    As long as Bruce is making random placement decisions, along the lines of "Beas in the middle", let's put Kasey Keller at target forward. He sure is big, and he knows how the keeper is going to react.

Congrats to the U.S. for eeking out a victory against a side that was vastly superior for 86 minutes of play. Here's hoping Mexico doesn't actually watch the tape. If they do they will laugh until they wet their pants.

17. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    This game shows that Clint def has potential. He ahd a lot of good plays...but also lots of mistakes. In a topclass international match he wont get as many chances to shine as he did tonight so he needs to be more consistent

18. DMunited

DMunited New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Austin TX
    I am just about ready to give up on Casey. The guy simply does not score, or even look like he's going score. Why he keeps getting chance after chance while guys like Buddle and Twellman are shut out is just beyoned me.

19. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't underestimate the "he plays in Europe so he must be good" factor.

20. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Buddle? He's been horrible this year. Take it from someone who's had to watch him every game.

21. Hayduke

Hayduke Member

Jun 12, 2003
    Pleasanton, CA
    Might have had something to do with a dubious straight red.

22. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think LD saved the game. Getting Olsen and Casey off the pitch saved the game. A nine-man US squad would have beat Cuba. Those two made it a seven-man squad. :(

23. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I'm proud of Tino tonight, that kid has had more bad luck before the age of 20 then any other US soccer player

24. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Sanneh was fricken brutal
    Olsen and Davis and Casey poor (quality subs by BA this time)
    Quaranta, Armas, Hanneman, O'Brien, and Wolff were o.k.

kudos to Landon, Demarcus for showing their class.

Hejduk was outstanding..should have had 3 assists

Conrad absolutely rock solid

Dempsey MOM

25. pkwin

pkwin New Member

Mar 22, 2004
    in the trap
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it is amazing that bruce and i agreed on something. i said aloud to myself, were i to sub three guys after that first half it would be casey, olsen, and davis. of course i thought that dmb was playing horribly, as was sanneh, but those three weren't doing much of anything that impressed me. i was glad to get to that group of guys out there together at the end of the game. quaranta seemed to belong out there. i truly hope we get to see him again. dempsey just showed to me some of his true promise. granted we played cuba, but the ideas and much of the execution was good. just add ej (and remove sanneh)...what a mix. who needs those first 87 minutes anyway?