7/7 Gold Cup: US vs. Cuba PBP/In-Game Chat thread 2nd Half [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dark knight, Jul 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smock7

smock7 Member

Aug 4, 2004
    New York City
    Beasley - 6 - Assist adds +1. Playing very withdrawn. Seeking. Seems out of it.

I hope Hiddink isn't watching this game.

2. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Worst. Line-up. Ever.

OK, maybe not, but it's probably the worst starting XI we've fielded in a competitive game since 2001.

Go USA! :)

3. alexdergrosse

alexdergrosse New Member

Jun 15, 2001
    Northern VA
    Man, the team looked awful out there. We don't really deserve the tie at this point.

Conrad should not be out there alone (or maybe at all, but we'll see) in the central D.

Sanneh sent many many worthless balls upfield and looks out of position constantly.

Hejduk is holding his own.

Armas does nothing remarkable. His defense has been circumspect, however, and has put the Cubans in dangerous positions.

Not sure about Ben. Especially since the announcers always call him someone else (I think). Running around a lot but generally ineffective.

Dempsey seems lost and then shows up in top form. A maddening performance from him, but par for the course I guess.

Davis can send in some nice crosses, but also seems lost on the field. After playing many balls up the left side, we quickly switched to the right once the Cubans shut him down.

Quaranta is playing well, I think. Best out there so far. Really strong along the wing, comes back to get the ball, gets involved in the attack.

Beasley is trying to organize the team more and more, and over time, it showed. Still not a great half from him (but not awful).

Casey was worthless out there. I wish I didn't have to write that, but he's barely gotten into the attack.

Hahneman has been fine. Only real chance to shine was all but unstoppable.

What does all this equal? Crappy play and complete confusion. US players running into each other, players passing directly to Cuba, blown coverage, just ugly soccer overall.

At least they showed progress over the half.

4. Soccer_Lancer

Soccer_Lancer Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What pos does clint usually play? I can see him as an attacking mid or withdrawn forward in the future. He's got skilz.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thank you, I said the same thing, Keller would have made the save. The cross was nice, and he struck the ball well, but it still went right at the keeper.

6. mathiaslg

mathiaslg New Member

Mar 13, 2004
    To be perfectly honest, I think we will end up winning this match. That being said, such a result would mean very little, for a number of these players are either not ready for the Nat's (and, in certain instances, may never be) or are far past their prime and shouldn't play again.

7. regulator

regulator Member

Apr 25, 2004
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who do u guys thinks need to come on/off at the half?

i say JOB for olsen fixes alot of our lethargic play in the midfield right away

8. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where does the US play if it comes in 3rd in the group?

9. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he's been released to play for the Rev on Saturday. :)

10. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That didn't last. About halfway through he swapped Beasley and Dempsey and now Dempsey's up top while drifting back into midfield occassionally.

11. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder why Bruce doesn't try running a 4-3-3 here since he wants to toy around with things.

12. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Before the 2nd half starts I just want to say something that most of us can understand.

WHAT THE ****** WAS THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was the most disgusting display I have ever seen. I can care less if that's a B+, B or B- side.

THIS IS ****** CUBA FOR GOD SAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY WOULD RATHER SHAG A FLY BALL IN THE OUTFIELD AND YOU ALLOW THEM TO TAKE OVER THE MATCH?!

Conor Casey, GONE!, Santino Quaranta, GONE! AND THE WHOLE LOT OF THEM IF THEY DON'T SHAPE UP AND BRUCE BETTER BRING IN LANDON FOR THE START OF THE 2ND HALF!

I HAVE NEVER BEEN SO TICKED OFF IN MY LIFE AT THAT DREADFUL 1ST HALF PERFORMENCE!

Oh look. The 2nd half is about to begin.

13. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Casey is a Clydesdale and should try rugby.

Quaranta has his moments....but, this is just poor stuff...where can we go but up after Sanneh, Conrad and Hejduk?

That backline is possibly the worst I've ever seen in the last 7 yrs. WTF Bruce???

14. Mainer5

Mainer5 Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Topsham, Maine
    I think Connely wrote, that Bruce will be looking at people who might not be able to perform up to snuff for 06 along with some core members of that team. I think he probably has seen some of that tonight.

Also, everybody has to realize that we play 3 matches in 5 days, so Bruce needs to put this type of team out there against what he preceived as the weakest of our opponents to rest the "regulars"

15. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Wine for me :)

16. Stars&Bars

Stars&Bars New Member

Aug 13, 2004
    Looks like Clint will get his favored #2 back. Hejduk isn't going to be needing it anymore.

17. stats

stats New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    usa needs to get their in gear. this is unacceptable.

18. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I also think Bruce will fire em up at half. Bruce is pretty good at doing that.

19. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    JOB doesn't even exist anymore in my mind as far as the current US team goes.

20. smock7

smock7 Member

Aug 4, 2004
    New York City
    Clint's gorgeous step over down to a cross would have hit someone's forehead if they weren't 5'7".

21. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta get Quaranta, Casey, Olsen, and Sanneh off the pitch.

How many subs can we make? :)

22. BobyOne

BobyOne Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't get too excited about this game. Bruce obviously wants to give bunch of new blood a chance. This carries a bit of risk, since guys that haven't been on the nats before don't play with each other often. Arguably, Cuba is the weakest team in the group and that game will get the most experimental lineup which explains the 3-5-2 and the fact that most first-cap players are playing. I understand that we should be beating these guys easily, but I'll take games like this if it helps us build a better team for next summer.

I wouldn't be surprised to see JOB in later, in for one of the D-mids or Sanneh at LB.

23. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Is there some secret value to having Ralston-line-negative veterans looking disorganized as opposed to Ralston-Line-positive youngsters?

24. stats

stats New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    is the game delayed on tv? livescore.com has the game in the 56th minute already....