7/4/05: Blowed Up

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by jmeissen0, Jul 4, 2005.

1. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
  2. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing against the kid, but Metro don't need him now... His coach seems to be doing him no favors, but that should not mean we have to babysit him instead.....

3. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia
    I guess the Landon-is-a-traiter thing is working so well to get fans out to see games that MLS is thinking about trying it again with Adu next year?

4. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    metros CAN use him. Yes they can. I for one would like to see it. In fact, it is probably as good as done. Freddy is 16 now. He wants to play. Bradley has a GREAT rep with youngsters.

Consider it done. If this doesn't happen by next summer, I'll eat my hat.

5. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    The team that needs to be going for him is Chivas. I'm a huge DC fan and love Freddy but he needs more PT and that's not gonna happen with Esky, Moreno, and Gomez around. Chivas blows and needs anybody with two feet. They might even take someone missing a foot. Of course what is Chivas going to offer DC that they need. Aside from the ChivaGirls I can't think of a thing DCU might want.

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Personally I would have written Lalaz acquired two players with pizza's- Tony Meola and Ryan Suarez who accidentally spilled some cheese on his head gear.

8. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I can think about is "Blowed up, Sir!!!" from Stripes, a truly great American movie about freedom, liberty, and goofing off in the army.

9. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I dont know where Freddy will end up but I get the feeling this is his last year with United. Its pretty obvious Nowak doesnt want him around. He subbed him off for David Stokes last game. Ouch. He needs to be playing in order to develop. It almost seems like all of Nowaks pulling him in and out has affected his confidence. Bradley would be a good person for him to play under because he is really good at developing young talent but unless he goes on a playoff run this year with Metro I don't think he'll be back next year.

10. chessplayer

chessplayer Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Hey now, Moreno & Gomez are both 31 and won't be playmaking forever. I can see Moreno's mobility is already not what it was before his back injuries. Adu is the future, and when his defensive work and field vision and work rate come together with experience, he will be the Man in a year or so in DC. He needs to learn as a role player for now and keep growing. I can't see DC giving up the future, and besides I bet his mom still wants Adu to stay around until he is older than 16 before he stays on his own somewhere. Freddy is the future, and the future isn't that far off if he is willing to work and wait a little while longer.

11. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    My thoughts exactly.

12. chessplayer

chessplayer Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    If Bradley was so good at developing young talent, how come the Metros failed to make the playoffs the first year they had Gaven, McGee, etc and then last year they made it only to lose twice in a row to DC, after losing to them twice in a row to close out the season? Zach Wells hasn't come along enough for them not to take a chance on a former all-star goalie who is a month away from walking without a limp. The young talent they did have they traded away before they could really capitalize on it (Brad Davis, Ricardo Clark), and they shipped out their best defender (Pope) for one five years older and just as injury-prone (Agoss). Unless Djourkaeff pans out big-time in the second half of the season and Razov goes bananas (which looks promising, I might add), I don't see the Metros going anywhere this year either and Bradley is out the door.
    Please don't send Adu away! Next year he will take on a bigger role. The Metros have two playmakers already in Youri and Amado, they need an effective defensive midfielder to take the burden off their defense of stopping up the middle and Adu isn't that.

13. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I certainly am no Bradley defender. I dont think he'll be back next year because I dont see us winning a playoff series. I can understand Freddy's frustration by not playing especially when he sees players he was in Bradenton with playing all the time and he is still a sub. It doesnt surprise me if he is strating to get antsy. You say he will play more next year, for whom? I don't see anybody in front of him now not coming back next year.

14. chessplayer

chessplayer Member

Sep 12, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I think Moreno and Gomez will both be back next year, but how effective will they be? Nowak's 3-5-2 vision involves the mids covering a lot of ground, and you can see the times he played Adu and Gomez together the intent was for one of them to play behind the other and do the dirty work to link the back to the front (the 3rd central mid pretty much iced the center of the field by backing both of them up and not having the same offensive responsibilities). But they haven't been effective because Gomez has the more mature field vision but will defer to Adu, but can't go both ways all game anymore. This doesn't hurt the defense but blunts the offense by leavin Moreno with the lion's share of the playmaking up front. I didn't see the first half vs the Crew but it seemed like our possession was awfully effective when Gomez had the center to himself out there. Vs NE earlier in the year, the same blunting effect happened (the only other time I know of that both were on the field together) and neither of them were very effective at creating offensive chances. Next year, I think that Gomez will cover less space than he can now as he gets older, and his deference to back up Adu will lead to Adu being able to run the field up top more like the attacking midfielder that he is naturally, and this role confusion that they have now will be at least partially resolved. With his speed and pace, and the maturity of vision he is clearly developing now (vs last year the difference in his distribution and decision-making are noticiable, he is growing), he will be more suited to the role then too. All of this depends on Moreno's strike partner scoring effectively, as if Alecko stays cold then defenses will shut Moreno down and his declining physical abilities will make him less able to hold and distribute the ball like he does now. He already can't run away from players anymore and must rely on ball-savvy to get himself space, eventually his savvy won't be enough because he can't give himself enough space to work with (goals like his weave vs NE two weeks ago will not be possible anymore, and he will have to dump the ball off quickly instead of try to drive by folks). Thus, DC's offense next year, absent a younger, faster Moreno type up top (another place for Adu should Moreno's injury bug come back), will sputter worse than it is now if they don't have someone up top besides Jaime who can sting a team.
    Which means that if Jamil Walker or Tino can grow their ball skills and vision, we will finally have some depth up top and an effective lineup for when Alecko and/or Moreno are out.
    I can see Adu getting some much increased responsibility next year, and if he learns and bides his time he can break out big time. Besides, he's only 16, another year of weights and growth and he'll be another inch and 10-15 more pounds than he is now. Think Landon Donovan with better upper body strength.

I just don't see him leaving DC for another team in a big city like New York or LA, his mom probably wouldn't allow that and she is still in charge I think. I also don't see Nowak leaving, even though his intensity worries me. I can see him going to a smaller-market team like RSL, though, and being reunited with John Ellinger. With Mathis fading away, they might be able to use a Freddy type. But even outside DC, I just don't think he is mentally mature enough to start anywhere (his soccer talent is beyond question, he'd start anywhere in MLS if it were just basd on that) because he would never be expected to just start. He would be expected to carry a team, which is more that he can handle right now. The only right answer it seems is for his attitude to be humble until his maturity matches his talent, which would be in at least another year I think.