7/31 San Diego game

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Mike Lane, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    The San Diegans hate us. They'd love to be the spoiler for us. We see them twice in the next 10 days. What should our strategy be? We need the points. We got some tired and injured players. Do we put in the B team on Wed and try to win at home? I think we should play all out to win all of these next three games... and then be spoiler for Philly. It might be interesting to see us in a reprise of last night in the playoffs.

2. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    We are in a battle for playoff position and we still have a decent shot at second. Go for the points both at home and on the road. We need them. If we lose both, we open up the door for San Jose.

3. flix

flix New Member

May 22, 2001
    best kept secret
    WUSA Matchup

4. flix

flix New Member

May 22, 2001
    best kept secret
    Roster Report

INJURY REPORT
    ATLANTA BEAT: PROBABLE - M Liping Wang (R knee contusion); F Sun Wen (left adductor strain); M Kylie Bivens (Plantar fascitis).

SAN DIEGO SPIRIT: QUESTIONABLE - F Zhang Ouying (pulled hamstring); GK Jaime Pagliarulo (strained knee); PROBABLE - D Fan Yunjie (pulled hamstring).

Suspension Summary 7/29/02
    Tiffany Roberts Carolina Courage 7/31 vs. Washington Red Card 7/27 at Atlanta
    :D just threw that one in

Warning Summary 7/29/02
    Shannon Boxx San Diego Spirit 3 Non-Consecutive Yellow Cards Accumulated (A caution in the next game will result in a 1 game suspension = 4 non-consecutive cards accumulated)

5. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Re: WUSA Matchup

I think this is pretty true. But San Diego is also flying back home from DC, so I'm guessing they will be pretty tired also. I think Saturday's game will pose much more of a problem.

6. Mr.Soccer

Mr.Soccer New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Maui
    M Kylie Bivens (Plantar fascitis).

What is this injury? M Kylie Bivens (Plantar fascitis).
    How serious is it? How long will she be out?

7. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Re: M Kylie Bivens (Plantar fascitis).

From a web site I use from time to time:
    The link is Foot Care Direct.

I have seen players play with this condition for years and others that seem to miss every other game.

There are effective treatments and, often, a slight condition is agravated by too long cleats on hard ground causing the foot to wobble while running. Also a bruse near the heal makes the pain MUCH worse.

8. Mr.Soccer

Mr.Soccer New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Maui
    Thank you. Wow, it sounds like it could be really painful. I appreciated the information.
    Mahalo

9. Mike Lane

Mike Lane New Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Atlanta
    I've had plantar faciitis... it can be very mild, or VERY painful. The problem is that top atheletes try to play (run) through their pain, and may exacerbate it. Stretching, NSAIDS, ice, and more stretching can help. Basically you have to lay off for a bit. The Beat has good trainers, and a woman orthopedic surgeon, and I'm sure Kylie is doing the right things.

10. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    I think we are deep enough to counter the "tired players" thing. We can use Cromwell and Dayna Smith in the back to relieve any tired defenders... Miller, Wang or Cagle in the middle for any mids that can't make it... Burtie up top with Hooper if CP needs some rest... I think we should be fine. Using any of these players in place of our starters isn't a bad thing...these are all quality players that could possibly be starting for other clubs. We are much deeper than SD and morale is on our side. We are coming off three wins and have the playoffs in site. SD is playing for pride, which can be dangerous, but our players know of the rivalry here and they aren't gonna let SD get the better of them.

11. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
  12. flix

flix New Member

May 22, 2001
    best kept secret
    Beat Not Looking Past Spirit
    by Jennifer Pfluke
    http://www.theatlantabeat.com/320818.html

13. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    Will this game be on the WUSA's matchtracker?

14. thegoofy1

thegoofy1 New Member

Dec 8, 2001
    Denver, CO
    If matchtracker is working, it probably will. I really think we need to start petitioning to get audio feeds of the games.

15. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes joyful joyful

16. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    This match is actually gonna be televised on COX4. I wonder if any COX4 folks down there in the SoCal would be able to do a PBP? I doubt it..they'll all be at Torero.

Just a lil' reminder for some of you folks...

I'll be doing two PBP's tonight. PLEASE DO NOT GIVE THE RESULTS OF OTHER MATCHES TONIGHT!!!

17. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Anyone know what is going on with this match? The match tracker has it in the 29th minute when it should be in the second half?

18. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    doesnt look like much rest for the regulars:

From the WUSA Matchtracker:
    Atlanta Beat -- Briana Scurry, Sharolta Nonen, Julie Augustyniak, Lisa Krzykowski, Nancy Augustyniak, Nikki Serlenga, Marci Miller, Sun Wen, Homare Sawa, Charmaine Hooper, Cindy Parlow.

all of them there except Kylie. Sun Wen still has that injury but I guess Stone doesn't believe that it's much of a problem now since she has recently started and played mostly through the games. Any speculations on 2nd half subs?

19. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG 27 fricken seconds into the 2nd half

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL HOOPS!!

20. Kim-GoBeat!

Kim-GoBeat! New Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Thugsville, USA
    Burt will be in at some point... for whomever looks the most winded. Expect Cromwell to come in for which ever defender looks like they need a rest. Maybe Cagle in for someone. That's about it.

21. Ludahai

Ludahai New Member

Jun 22, 2001
    Taichung, Taiwan
    Y'all. There is no [R] in this thread. There is another thread with an [R] in it. I suggest using it. Don't want anyone getting a yellow.