7/2 USA v Paraguay: The Midfield [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NoodlesMacintosh, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    First of all, most didn't apparently share that opinion, as he got a pretty reasonable match rating in that game, and secondly that was also ten minutes worth of work. Don't get me wrong, I didn't like what little I saw in this match, but it's just not enough time to evaluate.

I have the feeling that people who want to see more of him have the misfortune to understand that part of the purpose of these matches is evaluation.

2. MichaelMc

MichaelMc New Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Good description on their mistakes on the first goal, not many have noticed this. It's discouraging that Feilhaber gets caught ball watching and looses his mark for the goal. This is a learning experience and hopefully they are fixing these problems.

3. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    If we can find 22 guys that the coach feels that we should find a place for them to play with this team. Then we will due pretty well in 2010 WC.

4. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    People were saying that we went into the toilet after they subed him out of the Argentina game

5. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    So what does this mean you have to be tall to play this game?

Tell that to Maradona.

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Duece and LD are both 'swing forwards' so each has played right midfield and and forward for club and country.

In the Fulham game I saw of him, Demps put the in the effort on defense.

7. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    That was tried by the metrostars without good results. Inside mid with a dangerous shot is a good thing. Benny and Ricardo have good shots from further out. Benny is not afraid to take his we need Ricardo to look to take them more.

When Ricardo was a Metrostar I felt the difference between him and the rest of the new mids Aerna was looking at the time was his shot.

However at that time the length of the season evidently got to Ricardo and he simply tired out and so went his chance to get called up at that time. Also what I noticed the longer the season went the less he played the ball away from pressure when he received a pass from the congested side he just tired out back then.

8. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    So you think Coach Bradley will sit his son who plays a good game for Ricardo who may play a better game? Good luck

9. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    "I'm not sure what the point of playing 4 two-way center-mids today was."

Well the days of the offensive mid and the defensive mid as two seperate positions are numbered in the modern game in my oppionion.

Eventually they will both be interchangeable so no matter who is up he will be a dangetrous attacker while the other will be a capable defender.

10. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    "As for the 4-4-1-1 not leaving a spot for Dempsey...why can't Dempsey be the guy up top?"

I am not sure he would be a great striker. I am sure from a further back position he is always up when the ball is up. That is a big deal and probably his best strength as a player. It takes a strong will to push your self to be up when the ball is up and to also get behind the ball when the team loses the ball he can do both .

11. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Because you play defense after your team loses the ball not while you have the ball.

Once you lose the ball you always want to be numbers up. What can happen is if the ball is on the flank and your attacking and their is an overlap then our far side mid should play defensive just in case we lose the ball then he can have time to fall back and become a temporary back until the rest of the team falls back.

A couple of our scoring chances against Paraguay by us our guys were unmarked and just missed their chance.

12. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what hapened to bobby convey

13. BigGuy

BigGuy Red Card

Apr 12, 2007
    Recoverying from injury. but he is also in our future picture at mid or even as a back.