7/2 USA v Paraguay: Post-Match [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NoodlesMacintosh, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perumericano

perumericano New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Hell yeah

2. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was. But some coaches don't learn their lesson

3. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no need for this. We're all tired and frustrated; personal attacks are just going to make it worse.

4. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Ricardo Clark needs to give our forwards shooting lessons. If he can put blistering shots on frame, why can't they? If he doesn't chicken out on shooting, why do they?

Twellman cannot compete at this level.

EJ made some nice passes but he's useless in front of goal.

Keller is a joke now--he can barely move and got caught in no-man's land on the first two goals. So much for his "audition".

Guzan absolutely gets to that second goal.

Big props to Olsen for leaving it all out there.

Drew Moor played a solid match and had some spectacular crosses (who knew? I've never seen him cross it that well for FCD). His play was a great revelation. I don't blame him for missing the sitter--our forwards did that all night.

I'm sorry we didn't have MORE newbies on the field. Guzan would've been an improvement over this broken-down Keller, and I'd take Herc Gomez over what I saw from Twellman any day.

Pfft. Wasted opportunity, this tournament. Not because we took our "B" team, but because Bradley stuck with Twellman and Keller against all evidence that the latter can't compete at this level anymore, and the former never could.

5. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Change "your" to "you're" first. :D

6. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    How many quality chances did we have in this match? 8-10. Vs probably the 3rd best team in South America known for their defense. The buildup play was excellent. Some of the best you'll ever see from a US team. Quick decisive passing moving into the final 3rd. It was great.

Unfortunately, the finishing was bad and defending was worse.

Liked Clark, Moor, Benny, Benny and Johny

7. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Some of those we didn't even need a quality finisher, an above average one would have done. At least test the keeper.

8. PantsB

PantsB New Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Whats with the TT hate? Didn't his pass set up the goal? When the ball went to him, he got it to the open man either inside the box or immediately around it. He didn't play well, but he was better than all but a handful of the Americans out there.

9. cory

cory New Member

Aug 7, 2004
    wow i very disapointed fielhaber was great at times and showed great potential at other why could we not bring 1 good forward moor was a very very pleasant suprise and there is so much potential in mapp and johnson but the latter needs the best damn sport psychologist in the world keller is done is he starts the next game there should be a revolt against bradley

10. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goodnight. Will watch, and hope for the best, against Colombia. But this is goodnight for the USA in Copa America.

Until another time;)

11. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    Hey look on the bright side. If we had our A team we would probably have smoked Paraguay (even with some poor finishing). And in South America no less.

12. FreedomJess

FreedomJess New Member

Nov 7, 2005
    AZ
    What the hell is wrong with you guys? We all said before the tournament that we were going to get killed. Remember 3 and out? What are all you guys all of a sudden so pissed. Jeeez. Get over yourselves and lets look at the positives. We found out several things. Twellman, Keller are done. Benny, Rico, Johnson, Bornstien are studs. Nguyen is freakin' slow.

13. Cut it with the potty talk, mother********er! :D

14. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    He's talking about the quality of the competition. The Copa America is a greater test that Gold Cup.

15. sysco76

sysco76 Member

Oct 11, 2004
    Potomac Falls
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA played a great game. We can hold our heads up high. All of S. America thought that they were going to sweep the floor with us. We missed our chances and at least deserved a draw. Oh well, Americas B team has played a great tournament so far. I look forward to our game against a tough Colombia.

16. guyy

guyy Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Americah
    You know, I want Colombia to beat the US. Beat them bad. Let the bad run go all out. I don't need any excuses that they won the third match... beating Colombia.

17. SignGuyDino

SignGuyDino New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Fletcher, NC
    No, I was thinking of posting exactly as it was. Then again, I'm quite the bastard...

18. UConnRadioKid

UConnRadioKid New Member

Apr 25, 2005
    Hartford, CT, USA
    This has "imagine if we sent the A squad over, since the B squad looked so good at times" written all over it. It is what it is.

The problem is that we've seen the A squad blow chances before. The sad reality is that too often the A squad doesn't nearly get as many as they did tonight from the B squad.

I think it's more an overall frustration over a percieved lack of forward progress. It's a wish that we could just get it together in a big tournament again like in 2002.

They'll pop the company line of "Oh, we have to send the A squad to the Gold Cup, it's our federation, it's more important!" But the truth is, this provided a (pardon the pun) golden oppurtunity to send our best to a tournament that has far greater competition. Instead we won the Gold Cup again, but has it really progressed "the program" that far?

19. LetsGoYanks

LetsGoYanks Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Dirty South
    The problem is that the idiots in charge thought sending this squad could be a good idea in any WAY, SHAPE, or FORM.

YEAH, LET'S GET EMBARRASSED AND HAVE OUR YOUNGSTERS LOOK LIKE AMATEURS IN FRONT OF THE ENTIRE WORLD, THAT'S A STELLAR IDEA.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

20. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    News Flash!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All teams, even Argentina and Brazil don't score all the time.

Was it frustrating watching miss after miss tonight? Yup it sure was.

I'm willing to bet Brazil felt the same way against Mexico. But they are much better than us so it's OK for them I guess.

That's the nature of the beast in soccer my friend. If it were so easy, games would have lacrosse scores.

21. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    when have we stopped letting the "lads gain experience"

i hope suinl gulati has hard times sleeping after this result.

So now I have to deal with all my mexican friends saying "see, see, the USA sucks!"

The real regret is that we would have blown this paraguay team out of their boots with our A squad.

22. shocksofmighty

May 6, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    And a right foot.

23. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, FIFA doesn't agree with that.

24. Karras

Karras New Member

Oct 26, 2005
    Salt Lake City
    Absolutely 100% agree.

I'm happy that we outplayed them, but I'm infuriated with the inability to finish. This may be the best the U.S. has ever looked losing by 2 goals.

I for one wish Kenny Cooper and/or Chris Rolfe could have been our "B" forwards brought to this tourney. I'm betting they were in the running before getting injured.

25. paintgreen

paintgreen New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    Miami, FL
    I feel that the first two Paraguayan goals could have been stopped by Keller. He looked like a deer staring down oncoming headlights on both occasions.

I love Keller, but it's time for him to go back to his castle.