7/2 USA v Paraguay: Defense and Goalkeeping [R]

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by NoodlesMacintosh, Jul 2, 2007.

1. NoodlesMacintosh

NoodlesMacintosh New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. elephantstone

elephantstone Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    I'm paying for a premium membership so I can killfile anyone who defends Keller after this.

3. RedAndBlack

RedAndBlack New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Maryland
    If Bradley lets Keller ever play again he should be fired!!:mad:

4. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    What defense? This group SUCKS. Fire them all

5. fifa010

fifa010 Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Keller sucks our defense was lackadasical

I sure hope they learned a lot today cause im mad as hell

OH YEAH and drew moor come back when u can finish a wide open header

6. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    This is another example of letting down the guard for a moment and a world class team makes you pay. We have to keep our heads in it for 90 min and we have to have send our players to finishing school.

7. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanks for embarrasing the country, you bunch of jackasses. you all sucked.

And Keller why don't you just pull the plug and die, you sorry waste of space.

8. Brandon313

Brandon313 Member

Aug 14, 2006
    Raleigh NC
    me waiting for the free kick

"if this makes it over the wall, its a goal, keller wont get to it"

GOL GOL GOL GOL GOLAAAAZOOOO

"told ya"

He sucks, forced retirement

9. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Conrad and Moor were spectacular all game long.

Bornstein has been the pleasant surprise of this tournament, despite a poor backpass which he shares joint culpability on with DeMerit and Keller.

I think DeMerit's been awful, but we've just gone head to head with two of the best three teams in South America on their continent and held our own for the majority of the game.

To expect anything more with the squad we brought is pure insanity.

10. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    KK was at fault on both goals. He's waaay past his prime. If Guzan was in net, we'd have won.

11. FCmagic01

FCmagic01 Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Keller-whens the last time u made a big save?? guzan better start next game
    Bornstein- after such a good game how does one do so bad??
    Conrad- see bornstein
    DeMerit- see Conrad, look'd to be hurt as well
    Moor- was the bright spot which is sad....oh and btw, LEARN HOW TO HEAD THE BALL!!

Califf- bad, should've stood that guy up at the end and fouled him instead

12. Turboduck01

Turboduck01 New Member

Feb 21, 2002
    San Diego CA
    Keller is Killing me!!!

13. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Moor's services were really great.

Apart from the missed header, and scaring us a bit here and there, was very, very good.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Excuse me, but how the hell was that DeMerit's fault in any way?

I gotta say, man... I don't agree with anything in that post.

15. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Agreed. It was Conrad and Bornstein on that side. Miscommunication. [obvious] Can't have that at National team level. [/obvious]

16. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, I dont know if Guzan will be any better, but I have a much easier time of stomaching young and bad vs. old and bad.

17. Stanman09

Stanman09 New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Milwaukee
    I thought Conrad was the one who watched the hospital ball. Correct me if I am wrong but Demerit wasn't near the backpass at the time. Bornstein also lost track of his man on the first goal I thought.

I thought Conrad and Bornstein played godawful today. Demerit was consistent with the exception of maybe a couple of clearances in the funnel. Moor was hot and cold all game.

18. Dave216J

Dave216J Member

Aug 1, 2001
    DC
    Keller is old - Howard comes for a couple more crosses, and probably clears the terrible backpass that sunk us.

Bornstein was having a balanced game until that one decision, but you don't get to do that as a defender.

Conrad and Demerit looked good to me, stepping up well, decent distribution, and caught out more by midfield errors/giveaways than on their own. Made Cardozo and Santa Cruz look average, and they're quite good.

Moor was better on the distribution than on the defensive end, but other than a couple tricks too many, a very solid game. Looks promising, if not a world-class talent.

Califf did fine when inserted, but he was as much responsible for urging his men on as for doing any real defensive work. Maybe a step slow for an international.

19. elephantstone

elephantstone Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    The supposed benefit of playing Keller would be that he organizes the defense better and provides veteran leadership. Well, neither of those is happening. Put in the shot-stopper at least.

20. bostonf4lyf

bostonf4lyf Member

Mar 18, 2006
    wmass
    im done expecting our defense to keep a clean sheet. well technically i never started..wow we suck..bornstein, you were doing so good... the backpass... am i rambling..i need a drink..shit, im underage...might have to steal from the old man's stash...isn't this a style of writing

21. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Why all the hate for Drew Moor? OK, he didn't score on a wide open header. At least he was on target (Here's looking at you Sacha). I thought he was a rock at the back, and his distribution was A+. I thought he was Man of the Match, along with "Ricky" Clark.

22. autogolazzo

autogolazzo Member+

Mar 4, 2007
    No way does Bornstein "share" that responsibility with anyone else except teh Paraguayan goalscorer. That was a horrible pass and wasn't his only one during the match.

As far as the rest of the US team, I have never seen so may unpressured errant passes (out of bounds, no pace whatsoever, hospital balls) made to players who didn't have anyone within 10 ft. of them.

23. Cousin Dave

Cousin Dave Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect I'll be in the minority, but I thought Califf played well, winning balls in the air (one header led to a decent scoring chance). He's the only guy on the team that can man mark. He chased his man across midfield in order to prevent easy passes. He also deflected a potential goal that Keller caught. In extra time, he stayed with the ball carrier step for step until Conrad retreated to assist. IMO, Califf and the forward both stumbled and they took each other down. No foul.

24. Nermalthecat

Nermalthecat Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Avon, CT
    I said the same exact thing to my wife. The sad part was it wasn't even a great free kick. Keller's just a slow turd now. Golazos come cheap these days, I guess.

25. dsnipes1

dsnipes1 Member

Aug 12, 2005
    i've said it before and i'll keep saying it as long as bradley keeps playing bornstein (which we all know he will). bornstein is a mortal lock for giving away at least one goal per game to the opposition. whether its being caught out of position, making a poor backpass, or whatever; you can guarantee that he gives up at least one per match.