7/1 deadline is coming up ...

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by GoRapids, Jun 28, 2005.

1. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    If a player isn't cut by 7/1 his salary is guranteed.

Seems to me ... it's time to let Cooke go.

That would free up two SI slots.

Brilliant was released by New England ... if we have no plans to fill our SI slot ... then I say bring him in - cut Cooke or Wolde.

2. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would cut Wolde first especially since we now have Fabrice who can be emergency forward and start using reserve players (Gotsmanov right?) as the back up to JPP and JC.

Cooke, also seems like he might be eternal dead weight, but if he gets healthy he is at least a true winger, and some of his crosses have looked mighty fine. I would rather gamble on him than Wolde.

3. nowar99

nowar99 Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Wow...so many players....

I agree with cutting both Wolde and Cooke. Sadly, I think Cooke can be a decent player who contributes, but his inability to avoid injury and play means that we shouldn't be subsidizing a bench warmer.

As for Wolde, the shakin' Jamaican should be shakin' hands with someone in a career office for counseling on "what to do now that you're no longer good enough to be a professional athlete."

I'd cut Denton. Don't know what his salary is, but he should be gone.

I'd cut Cullen. Don't know what his salary is, but he should be gone.

Cutting Cooke would leave us another SI spot, which we can fill. If we must have another constantly injured washed up or never-was European, I am sure we can find them. We're good at that.

As for Denton, Cullen and Wolde, these guys can ALL be replaced with prospects. Kotschau can return to starting, which is where he belongs.

I suspect that Wolde is most useless and most likely to be gone, followed by Cooke. I'm guessing that Cullen and Denton are the least likely to be cut.

4. askum33

askum33 New Member

Jun 2, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    YES! good job and go FC!

Darnit Nowar, it has been over a dozen games and you just don't get it, do you? We cannot cut Wolde. What he gives up on the pitch, by not even trying for 50/50 balls and not running in full speed, he makes up for in veteran leadership. Duh!
    Denton?!?!?!? He is the ONLY guy on the squad that can kick a corner kick for us, not to mention free kicks. He IS our set piece speciallist, and apperantly the best photographer on the field.
    And Cullen???? you want to cut a promising d-mid player that is educated and experienced in MLS?
    What got in your head? Are you looking to make improvements? Those cost money. No chance in Hades that we do that. Not as long as Clavijo is in charge.... Hmmm.... Calvijo NOT in charge... I like that cut! :D