7/1/05: Relax, Don't Worry

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by jmeissen0, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    RSL SSS story reminds of Harrison and MetroStars.

2. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on, give them 5 more years before you say that....

3. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From - Hahnemann returns to Seattle with National Team - Seattle Times

"Yesterday's practice at Nike headquarters ended a few minutes early because of a violent collision between F Josh Wolff and D Jimmy Conrad."

This reminds me of the Kovalenko yellow card worthy slide tackle from behind on then Fire teammate Beasley in the 2002 MLScup. ABC showed B. Bradley immediately after, just shaking his head in disbelief.

4. Pmoliu

Pmoliu New Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Princeton, NJ
  5. andrew

andrew New Member

Jul 3, 2001
    I didn't appreciate the the following comment:

"The team averages 12,000-15,000 in its first year."

This guy totally butchered their average attendance by 8,000. According to MLSNET, they are averaging 20,000 fans a game! Classless stuff by a writer who obviously doesn't want an SSS built.

6. Etienne_72772

Etienne_72772 Member+

Oct 14, 1999

I thought it was the All Star Game--which made the slide tackle even more ludicrous.

7. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    NOTHING is like Harrison and the Metrostars.

8. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really.

No other MLS team can fit in a day to play an EPL side? San Jose? Real salt Lake? KC?

9. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    That annoyed me when I read that also.

10. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he's one of those BigSoccer posters who want to ignore doubleheader counts when figuring average attendance.

11. andrew

andrew New Member

Jul 3, 2001
    To be honest, I don't think RSL has had less than 15,000 for any of their home games. Can anyone verify that? Thanks.

12. sprintjeløy1926

sprintjeløy1926 New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Madwaukee
    According to MLS.net: 12,581 vs. Chivas on May 18. Don't know how accurate those numbers are.

My question is how do you average 12,000 to 15,000? Now I'm not a mathematician (or very bright for that matter) but I would think an average would be one number. Add the attendance of the games played/number of games played = about 19,000. Maybe it's new math.

13. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Yellow card worthy? That was Red-card worthy. Also, IIRC, that was at the all-star game at RFK ...... Unless Dema did it twice to DMB.

14. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found the Houston article interesting/humerous. I find it funny that Club America wants to play at the Atrodome. I guess they really haven't been following what has benn going on in the league or the fact that Chivas USA really hasn't been drawing the crowds that they thought they would. It just seems like they haven't done any ground work for having a team.

15. rogue76

rogue76 New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    milwaukee, wi
    yeah, the LA Galaxy West Brom flap is quit embarrassing, to say the least.

16. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I disagree. I think they have done their homework and in particular have watched to see where Chivas has gone wrong. That is why they would rather have an existing team then an expansion team only made up of Hispanics. They can be competitive from day 1. They would rather be in a market that doesnt have a team and could market the team to the entire community not just Mexicans. The Astrodome is just for the time being while they get a SSS. I actually see them doing things completely the opposite of Chivas.

17. eejit

eejit Member

Jun 10, 2004

The mean average is inflated due to one or two "standout" datapoints i.e. double headers, which skew the data.

The median is a better measure as the unusual datapoints do not affect it.

If the guy would have said 14000-15000 I don't see hoe people could argue against that. 12,000 is a bit on the low side though.

18. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Unless the unusual data points don't reflect people who wouldn't have otherwise gone to games, but simply chose that particular one because of the special event. In that case, the fans at the outlying points ought to be counted the same.

I'd imagine that Mexican National Team game and USMNT game would fall on opposite sides of the spectrum of this. 40,000 Mexican fans that will never come to another MLS match until the next Tri DH compared to people who largely already go to MLS games.

19. Garincha

Garincha New Member

Apr 20, 2005
    St. Louis

Through 7 games RSL is averaging 20,901 with a median of 17,861. If attendance from the USMNT qualifier is not counted (though I would point out that the majority of the fans stayed for the RSL - FC Dallas match), the average is 17,619 with a median of 17,057.

(All attendance figures taken from mlsnet.com.)

FOR STAT GEEKS: Incidentally, the median is affected by all data points, because each observation you add or take away how it is calculated. Specifically, the median is simply the central data point when you have an odd number of observations and the average of the two middle data points when you have an even number of observations. But eejit is totally correct in the sense that because the median only measures the very middle of a distribution, the median is far less influenced by extreme observations and is often the best measure of central tendency, particularly when there are a limited number of observations.

20. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Write to the editor of the paper. If you are correct, the writer could be fired.

21. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Ooh ooh ooh! Pick Metros! Pick Metros! We have our own soccer ball and everything! Ooh ooh! :D

22. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and what friendly neighborhood park would you choose to play the game at?

23. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    I'd suggest the Walsh backyard in Chatham Township, NJ.

24. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    As long as Hunt still owns KC, no way they are playing the Wizards. They could hardly stand the thought of hosting the CCC game against Saprissa.