6 Very Southern Teams In A!!!

Discussion in 'Italy: Southern Clubs' started by RegginaFan1, Jul 14, 2006.

1. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Friends,

For those of you like myself who are fans of not only a penalized northern team, but also pull for southern team, there is a bit of a bright side with these penalties. There will be 6 very southern teams in Serie A this coming season (if there aren't any appeals)!!!

When was the last time you remember 3 Sicilian teams in A at the same time? Those games will be fierce! How about the "strait clashes" with Reggina
    (especially with Messina)?? It's too bad we didn't have Bari in position for a nice derby with Lecce, but there will be some cool games just the same. After all with Cagliari mixed in A, there will be plenty of Islander battles.

Of course for me, I'll be pulling hard for Reggina...

2. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004

The Reggina fans would be pissed after doing the Serie B cheography, against Messina.

3. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you root for Juve? Juventus has more fans with no ties to Turin than they do within Turin itself. It is sickening.

- Paul

4. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Hey Aussie,

Well, this will be a new season. Yes, Messina gets a second chance at A and hopefully Reggina will play a bit harder against them this time around.

5. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Bright,

Actually, I was raised a Juventino. My father used to live and work in Milano when he worked with Alfa Romeo. He used to drive to Torino to watch them play. I also have family in Torino and the ones that don't cheer for Torino are Juventini. So it's more than just being a Juventus fan. Juventus has been my family's team for decades.

After all, it wasn't until recently that Reggina gained Serie A status.

6. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay, sorry I made you justify yourself. I just see so many southern Italians root for Juve, and it bothers me, but that is my problem.

Sorry for the threadjack, back to the topic at hand. :)

- Paul

7. cipro

cipro Member

Oct 9, 2005
    PhuckHead
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    I agree with your disgust of Juve supporters from other parts of Italy, especially the south. I hope many will change their loyalties when Juve play in serie B alongside Napoli and Bari.

8. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    No prob. Actually, Juve are like Man U, Celtic, and Real Madrid for example. They have fans worldwide.

9. cipro

cipro Member

Oct 9, 2005
    PhuckHead
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    True. Napoli is not well like outside the city. Pretty much hated during the Maradona era.

Almost everybody has a second team after their first. I root for Roma or Juve when they are playing in Europe. You obviously are a Reggina fan first and you have reasons to support Juve.

10. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Yeah but a lot of bandwagon fans as well.

11. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Thank God i'm not part of that almost everybody. If Ascoli are in C i follow C. When Ascoli were in C and B, i would know more about the going ons in Serie C or B than A.

How can people support two teams?
    How bout if they play each other?

12. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    It's very common for people to support a local team as well as one of the bigger teams, and I don't see a problem with it. The lower levels and the top level are almost different leagues in practice, so there really isn't any contradiction.

Why should someone be permanently deprived of the opportunity to follow and care about the Champions League or the scudetto race just because they happen to come from a small town rather than a huge city? That seems pretty unfair.

13. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Personally if I support another club, i feel i'm backstabbing on my own. 100% commitment.
    For a small club, winning Serie C can be just as big as winning the champions league.
    I don't think its unfair, i don't feel any of the big clubs better (in terms of the clubs not the trophies) than Ascoli because their bigger.
    How I see it my family are Ascolano, and the Ascolano is who we are, no-one could replace that. We are a people older than the Romans. So a club that is not asscoiated to the Ascolani people, is a club not worthy of my support personally.

14. cipro

cipro Member

Oct 9, 2005
    PhuckHead
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Couldn't have said it better. Usually the teams are in different leagues and when they do play each other then you support your local team. The second team is usually fun to watch like when many people support Brazil after their country gets knocked out.

Hey aussie_ascoli, do you know if Foggia will be with Ascoli next season ? I am watching highlights of Ascoli on GolTv and that kid can fly. He reminds me of Messi; a short, pacy, left footed player who plays on the right and can shoot. Probably not as good as Messi, but damn he's one for the future. Give him 2 seasons and he'll make the squad for Euro 2008 when he's 25.

15. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Palermo, Messina, Catania, Lecce, Cagliari and Reggina. If only Catanzaro could be there. :(

The Sicilian derbies will be interesting and the Calabresi will be doing more spitting than usual.

16. RegginaFan1

RegginaFan1 New Member

Mar 4, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    dor02,

I know! I wish Catanzaro were there too. They were the B/C team I followed too. My father went to school and played soccer there. Catanzaro, Cosenza, and Reggio are the 3 cities in Calabria, so I have a interest in them. I too am not a fan of "bandwagon jumping" especially the ones that would be fairweather fans!!

All this talk about the reasoning about supporting multi-teams is almost silly. Like I said before, Catanzaro was in A long ago for a short time and Reggina as well as Cosenza were in B until Reggina got a promotion. No one said we didn't follow them before. Living here in America before the internet age and satellite TV, was not what it is today. All we had was ESPN and an Italian-American newspaper printed in NJ. Not much news.

Wanna hear my system about who I support in A? Well, unorthodox or not, I support both Reggina and Juve. When they play eachother, I support the team of my family's region, Reggina. They would obviously need more points than Juve. Plus, when on TV, I used to try to see if I could spot my cousin pulling security detail with the Polizia Di Stato.

Anyway, I'm hoping to see a Catanzaro or Cosenza game sometime when I go visit Italy again. I know it would be impossible to see Reggina.

17. sportfriend

sportfriend Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Canada
    sorry guys...but i feel i have to show my Juventus hate here.

i can't stand this team, first...the fans never seem to be real fans, infact i only know aout 2-3 good Juve fans out of about 50...
    i find the atmosphere is really boring in the stadium...Plus they couldn't fill it for the life of them. Don't get me started on the bandwagon....

but the main thing is....how much coverage they get, it's really annoying for us good fans who support teams that aren't full of players who are stars to the rest of the world. In my opinion, we're the real fans! it feels like the only time i'll get to see Reggina play is when they play a big team against Juventus...

Now i used to get 4 Serie A games every weekend on this cable channel...Now it's just 3, and the time took away was usually the time they'd show the smaller teams. All i see on TV is Juventus, Inter, Milan, Fiorentina, and Roma...

so i decided to get the magazine soccer Italia, the official english guide to Italian football, i got this to stay up to date on Reggina and other clubs, to read about things i won't see on TV...Well i found out after 3 issues it's the official guide to Juventus, Inter, Milan and francesco Totti. The exact same as on TV

I even emailed the team asking for more Reggina and smaller clubs...But that hasn't happened :rolleyes:

18. forzareggina

forzareggina Member

Reggina
    United States
    Aug 24, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Reggina Calcio
    i was looking at that but the euro conversion rate made it too outrageous. glad i didn't get it!

19. sportfriend

sportfriend Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Canada
    it's a good magazine, but theres been NOTHING on Reggina or any smaller clubs

i have....4 issues, and the only Reggina thing there was....was a small article about Cozza passing something with goals...it was a couple lines with a really small picture :rolleyes:

all the other small teams get the shaft too, it makes me sick

20. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004

He's owned by Milan, but might go play for his home club Napoli on loan. Last season was his first real year with constant game time. Before Ascoli he was on the bench for Crotone and Empoli in Serie B.

21. aussie_ascoli

aussie_ascoli Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I would like to see those Juve fans dod what i did when Ascoli were in B and C. Cold mornings listening to italian radio, then spending an hour each night on the net to try and find little information. When Ascoli were in Serie C, i probably knew more about the team and system of play more than these bandwagon so called Juve, Milan, Inter etc. supporters. I know so much about the history of the club and the city, which to a juve supporter they'll reply by saying we've won this amount of Serie A.

HONOUR TO THE SMALL CLUBS, OUR FIGHT WILL FOREVER CONTINUE.

22. forzareggina

forzareggina Member

Reggina
    United States
    Aug 24, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Reggina Calcio
    let's start our own zine for english speaking fans

23. sportfriend

sportfriend Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Canada
    these last 2 posts are some of the most brilliant i've seen on here :D

and ascoli mate, i totally hear ya.
    my number one team is SC Freiburg....i sit on my ass every matchday, following livetickers, talking to other fans, searching for German language news, and ANY video i can find. The glory hunters don't even know what it's like to support a real team.

With Reggina, i do get a little luxiory with occaisonal matches and highlights for every match, thank the lord.

but if anybody doesn't know...my last name is Bauman, my relatives on my dads side come from Baden, on my mums side...from Reggio, so that's why i support these amazing teams.

Not because i'll be getting a lot of insurance for winning :rolleyes:

24. sportfriend

sportfriend Member

Jun 24, 2006
    Canada

yes and HONOUR TO THE SMALL CLUBS, OUR FIGHT WILL FOREVER CONTINUE can be our catch phrase :D

25. Le Zebre

Le Zebre Member

May 10, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    hahahah..i was just thinking that...CATANZARO!!! They'll have trouble getting promoted back to B this year. Crotone on the other hand has a pretty good team yet now they get screwed because of Juve/Fiorentina/Lazio.

I can remember my great uncles going to Torino to work when I was young. Alot of my family and people from the town I was born in went to work there. Most didn't have money to go to the games and would just send their earnings back to their families but they were gone for long stretches so while they kept their love for Catanzaro and Reggina they started to follow Juve and passed that down to my father, cousins and myself.