6 goals in 5 games and other weekend musings

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Northside Rovers, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wooo.

Very uninspiring for this playoff push. And speaking of playoff pushes, I didn't like it back in January when it was announced and I don't like it now: The Top 4 in the conference format has made it rather a dull affair this season.

Due to Dallas' ineptness, LA locked up a spot weeks ago while Columbus, who has exactly the same record, will likely miss out. You want conferences, fine, but if 8 teams are going to be in the playoffs they might as well be the best 8.

Chicago Fans - hats off to you guys - you looked and sounded great. It is GREAT to see you back at Soldier Field.

I know this home and home thing for the last 2 games of the season sounds good on paper (except when the teams have locked up a playoff spot) - but LA and SJ and DC and NE play each other 2 times in the last 2 games and likely will face each other in the playoffs. 4 games in a row? Oh boy. Is anyone like me and think that might be a bit boring?

These away solid white uniforms are slowly killing me. And KC gets fined $1250 for trying to mix it up a bit. I can't get past this for some reason: Red v White, Back v White, Blue v White.

Or maybe I'm just in a bad mood since I've been up since 5:30 and right now The Wiggles are on.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Now you know how San Jose fans felt back in 1999 when (with the same "top-four-teams-in-each-conference-to-the-playoffs" system) SJ finished fifth in the Western Conference despite having a better record than the #3 team (Tampa Bay) and #4 team (Miami) in the Eastern Conference. Even taking the shootout "wins" into account, SJ would have finished at about #7 overall. :eek:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Granted, San Jose most likely wouldn't have made it to MLS Cup '99, but a playoff appearance that year would have been great for fans of a team that had already missed the playoffs for two straight seasons up to that point.

-G

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Member

Dec 17, 1999
    Washington, DC
    Actually it's NE playing the Metrostars the final two games. DC plays Columbus and KC.

4. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    3 regulation 0-0 games and other weekend musings

I think it's better to have in conference playoffs. The rivalry aspect of playoffs serves MLS better that an E v W pairing in any round. If MLS is going to have the neutral-loving bastard stepchild of all playoffs in the 2 game aggregate (it isn't a series); then at least give an assist to backstory and interest by having a rival in the biggest games.

This season it pobably will work out that the worst two miss the playoffs. If it doesn't, then it's LA violating. If you are going to have a team "sneak in" without deserving it, the defending champ should get a pass. Many titles in many sports have been won before by defending champs backing into the last spot.

Also misssing will be the win or die game that DAL at dc was a the end of last season. Both teams had to have a win and the 4-3 OT thriller was the result. Worth mentioning is that the game would have been an exhibition in a 4 team playoff system.

Speaking of OT thrillers: Two GWG's in the ties over the weekend. Especially rewarding is the NE goal to kill one of the three dreaded dour scoreless draws. Reason enough to at least keep OT the same if not add 10 minutes. For those scoring at home, OT in '03 has produced 11 winners from 39 ties trhough this weekend. That's a not insignifigant 28.2%.

Low scoring: At least the defenses are up to playoff intensity. 3 pks hit in the Metros game wouuld not have improved the weekend much. Conservative play all around MLS on balance.

5. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: 3 regulation 0-0 games and other weekend musings

That's a bit of a cop-out IMO-every time this topic comes up, there's always a chorus of, "no, you don't understand, marking is just tighter in MLS."

MetroStars are a perfect example-a team with no depth and little quality in midfield, which leads to possession breakdowns in the offensive third. No one (not even Guevara, really) can consistently make that final pass to split the defence and make plays. You only have to review the creation of their goals this season to see this. And although I haven't had a steady diet of all of the teams this year, from what I have seen, what the Metro suffer is part of a larger league picture.

Maybe I'm having selective memory here, but it seems like every ESPN match w/ Wynalda, he notes the same thing: the play is too centered in the middle of the pitch; a lack of pace and width; an the absence of players who can make that killer final pass. And I agree with him. Part of it is the size of the pitches-we all know that. Part of it falls on the quality of the players. In the case of the Metros, the cure may simply be the matuaration of the kids, but that's not a given.

So yeah, you could say teams are playing a more conservative style, but IMO it's for all of the wrong reasons.

6. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't understand why MLS schedules games this way, it doesn't make any sense. It could be because we don't have a fall/spring schedule and its all just a big mix up. Even in this situation they should brake the season in two parts maybe with a 2 week in between have the ALL-Star game They could have Rounds 1 thru 30 and round 16 would be excatly as round 1 but the away teams would be hosting. Simple !!! why does it need to be so complicated and teams forced to face eaach other back to back is beyond me.

metros had to play DC 3 times in one week, and now it appears they will play the Revs 4 times in a row. This things need to be avoided . Northside Rovers is right and people will get bored watching the same teams over and over again.

7. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right you are. I knew that but my brain did not leak that information down to my fingertips.

2 weeks to go and 7 of the playoff spots are locked up. I think it would have made for much more of an interesting season finale to see Columbus and LA scrapping for points instead of LA just riding on into the playoffs - and play San Jose 4 times in a row.

I just liked last seasons single table format for deciding playoff spots and this year just confirmed why.

We could be playing the final game of the season and there may be absolutely nothing to play for. Will teams be able to get a big late season attendance increase just to help the team get home field advantage?

8. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I would point out that if that's the case, then it would be the exception that defines the rule. Every other year, somebody's had something to play for on the final game of the season, and usually that "something to play for" was "trying to get in the playoffs."

9. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I don't think it's a mix up at all. The home and home for the final games of the season against division rivals has worked great before.

Even in this situation they should brake the season in two parts maybe with a 2 week in between have the ALL-Star game They could have Rounds 1 thru 30 and round 16 would be excatly as round 1 but the away teams would be hosting. Simple !!! why does it need to be so complicated and teams forced to face eaach other back to back is beyond me.

Why? Because I don't think they're "forced" to play each other back to back. They've decided (and I agree) that it's a good idea.

Your idea of "rounds 1 thru 30" is nice, but the reason MLS scheduling isn't "simple", like you say, is because MLS doesn't control 10 stadiums-- especially not this time of the year. I think what you want is probably nearly impossible right now and certainly, I'd prefer to minimize midweek games (as MLS is trying to do) rather than trying to impose that structure.

metros had to play DC 3 times in one week, and now it appears they will play the Revs 4 times in a row. This things need to be avoided . Northside Rovers is right and people will get bored watching the same teams over and over again.
    And how often do you think it's going to happen that metros and united will have to play each other 3 times in one week? Probably not for another 8 years. Same thing for this year's playoffs-- it's just not going to happen that much-- especially after more expansion.

You've got to think about what happens most of the time instead of throwing out the rule when you come across the exception. This year's finale won't be great, but next year?

10. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    I agree the end of the year theatrics were better last year, but I think I see value in both the end-of-season double headers, and the East-West format. At the beginning of the season many, many people thought that San Jose-LA would be what it was last year -- head to head for the league title. So, bad luck that LA sucks worse than they were supposed to this year.

As for the playoffs, there is something more compelling to potential matchups like Metros vs. D.C. and L.A. vs. San Jose -- rivals already -- than perhaps New England vs. Kansas City. The playoff results will likely lead to further heated competition next year. (Think Cowboys vs. Redskins, Sox vs. Yankees, Duke vs. UNC, etc, etc.)

So, maybe it's a choice. Would you rather have the league engineer a playoff race, or would you rather have the league promote rivalries?

11. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    First off I just wanted to say I thought the Dallas Metrostars game was very exciting. Sure it was 0-0, but there were tons of great saves, shots off the woodwork, etc. There have been many Metros games more boring than that.

As for the playoffs, I think they should use a ladder system.

As it stand today, there's little difference between the metros finishing 2nd and 4th. If instead we had a system whereby:
    • 4th plays at 3rd midweek
    • winner plays at 2nd on weekend
    • winner plays at 1st on following weekend

you would see all teams scrambling down the stretch for playoff position, even though none of the five teams would be eliminated yet. This would be great for fans.

Also, you would have a reasonable degree of fixture certainty unlike with first-to-five (Though the current system is excellent for fixture certainty as well), so there would be enough time for teams to market playoff tickets.

12. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say this past weekend in MLS has been of the lowest quality I’ve seen all season…And I have watched a great deal of games….The Metro-Dallas game was not good until the late few minutes, and a so-so Metro effort midway through the second half…My biggest criticism however, has to go to Dallas….I wonder what were you trying to show Saturday: an improved defense? (2 penalties allowed? Nice)..An improved offense? (let’s see: no shots on goal from the 25th till almost the end of the game?-Awesome!) This from a team already eliminated!!!!
    If the guys on the team were playing afraid of losing their jobs for next season, then maybe it’d be better to show what they can do, instead of seeing them show almost exclusively how to stop the opponent (which would have totally backfired if not for two very good saves from the GK-not a normal occurrence it must be admitted).
    Chicago- Crew…Hated the game as well…It’s not Chicago’s fault though…The Crew again played way too conservative….Maybe I should have remembered what Andrulis said pre-game (paraphrasing): “We’ll sit on the back and hope we can get them on the counter”….Ok, fine…but HOW can you play the same way when down by one goal? Didn’t they need all 3 points? Lose 6-0 in the end, who cares! The margin of goals does not matter at that point, the Crew had to GO for the tie at the very least….
    KC-LA Another game hurt by the pathetic, uninspiring attitude of the visiting team….LA has gone how many games w/o a W on the road? 13-14? And they keep playing like they can’t wait to get back to the HDC….Enterprising, courageous attacking play on the road is not forbidden. Maybe Mr. Schmidt thinks so…I mean, all the other options have been tried and have not worked out, judging by the record….
    BTW to LA and DC fans….The PKs were good calls….If they have other complaints well fine, but it would appear that too much attention is being given to the PKs as opposed to the teams’ performance as a whole…
    Most weeks I get to tape at least 2, even 3 games- and watch at least one game I can say was an OK/good game…This week the games I did see were not to my liking at all….This had nothing to do with the lack of goals, but the attitude I saw out there…It was not pleasing to the eyes at all….
    I keep faith in MLS because it is getting better, no doubt, but this weekend was not a good advertisement to the league....Often i believe the coaches are too conservative considering the playoff system

13. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually thought NE v. DC was very exciting and would hardly describe it as "dour". It was pretty much end to end with great chances for both teams. Warren had to come up big several times over to stonewall the Revs and Big Adin had to control his area to stop United.

Not the perfect game, but hardly "dour".

To me the Metros v. Burn game, which I only saw the 2nd half of, was largely a snore until that Polish dude came on the field and he flicked a few dangerous passes into the area. Then of course came the two PKs in the latter stages which was pretty good drama (albeit in a game largely devoid of meaning).

Really, every time I hear Wheelock start off MLS Wrap by describing to "Harkesy" how important all these games are and how hard the players are battling, which he's done about 4 straight weeks now, all I can think of is that the opposite is true.

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I am still an MLS fan after this season is over, then I will know without doubt that I am a hopeless soccer fan.
    Games have been dreadful. I haven't been able to watch an entire match in weeks. I'm really sick of it.

And, no, I'm not a "Eurosnob." I've always cared a lot more about the games played here than the games played overseas. It's just that, lately, I find myself caring less and less.

The sport, in general, needs some work. 6 goals in 5 games is pathetic. MLS needs to loosen up even more.

I've really enjoyed being a soccer fan, and I wouldn't trade the last few years for anything. Honestly, though, it's stuff like this which explains why, lately, I'd rather just read a good book or go for a walk. Watching soccer--especially MLS, the only league I've ever cared about--just isn't much fun anymore.

PS--If anybody who happened to see my 'farewell' message catches this, then--OK, yes, I said I was finished with BigSoccer, and yet, here I am, reading a thread and posting a reply. Busted. Old habits die hard.

15. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    don't take it so hard. we have had some really good weeks as of late in MLS if you had watched, but this past week was admittedly dreadful. hang on in there. the calvary will be on it's way in the form of expansion soon, and by that time we'll also have a couple of more SSS's as well. don't abandon ship quite yet!

16. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bigredfootbal , you need to relax

after that think of no soccer and ask if that is better then we have

there is a lot of soccer going on, not all is good, but then depends what you looking for and expecting

yes the metro - burn game was 0-0 but who is to say it was boring, i don't, scoreless tie could be very entertaining

things will improve just need to go with the ride and the flow, soon the season will be over and it will be a long winter

all the best to you

17. The Artist

The Artist Member+

Mar 22, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to change the playoff rules each year to ensure that the final week of the season is as exciting as possible.

TV schedules should be altered at the last minute, taking into consideration injuries to star players as well as positions in the standings, in order to insure the most attractive game is always available to the casual fan.

Though we might incur the wrath of Fifa, MLS needs to make drastic changes to the rules to insure that coaches never play conservative soccer. Perhaps we could simply award the championship to whichever team produces the goal of the year.

Just like in Europe.

(I'm glad I finally understand that that gutted feeling in my stomach that ruined my weekend was not because DC had blown yet another game in OT, but simply a natural human response to dour, conservative soccer)

18. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was checking out the MLSNET best goal vote this week as I do every week, and I was thinking that their choice of the best five goals was lame. I mean, come on, they included a PK as one of the best five? Then after watching all five, I scrolled down and realized why; there were only six goals from which to choose! And the sixth was also a PK.

So I had to take back everything I said about whomever chose the best five goals this week.

19. cpwilson80

cpwilson80 Member+

Mar 20, 2001
    Boston
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great points here. The playoffs are supposed to reward excellence through the season, whereas MLS playoffs allow for mediocrity.

I'd love to see the top two in each conference make the playoffs. How intense would the Revs v. Metros home and away be this year? You'd have DC v. KC potentially fighting for their playoff lives on the final day.

San Jose and Chicago clinched going away this year. While it made for less playoff "drama" this season, they were the two best teams in the league and earned the top spot. I'd much rather see two quality teams than a bunch hovering around average.

It's bad luck for Columbus fans if LA gets in with fewer points, but honestly, both teams have sucked in a year when they both should have challenged for the Cup.