6/4 US v CR US Supporter Info

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Bigdog, Mar 28, 2005.

1. cnaw

cnaw Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jul 28, 1999
    New Mexico
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could someone tell me what the policy on cameras @ Rice Eccles is? Thanks

-adam

2. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    all cameras are allowed i believe. here is the section on RES's policies:

http://www.stadium.utah.edu/stadium_policies.htm

i find it funny that it says no noise makers, except for soccer events. damn those plastic horns, damn them to hell.

3. rabble-rabble

rabble-rabble Member

Jul 26, 2004
    West Jordan, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plastic horns are not allowed (thank goodness as they sound like a sick cow!) but trumpets and drums are allowed and in fact encouraged.

4. wjarrettc

wjarrettc Member
    Staff Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Cliffs of Insanity
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UTA bus to Temple Square is $1.40 and runs about every 1/2 hour. Use the trip planner at www.rideuta.com for more details

5. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    crazy, i could have sworn i heard those stupid plastic horns in previous games. maybe it was an airhorn or bullhorn. i dont know, i guess im just going crazy. the trumpets are awesome. i should get one for all the university games i go to when im in school. we just have a 8 or 9 man drum squad at the university of portland.

6. TRUEAGGIE

TRUEAGGIE Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Plastic horns are definately not allowed because they're ridiculous. They're the epitomy of American soccer fans.

7. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aint that the truth. everytime i see a kid with one of those things BLARING non stop for an entire game i just want to take it from the kid and hit him with it. of course i would never do such a thing, but it runs across my mind every time :)

8. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    FYI - the CR team is at the Marriott at University Park. There are many ticos buzzing around here today. Saw a couple of the players. I'm not sure what floor the players are on, yet.

9. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    A fire drill might answer that.

(Just Kidding!
    :) )

10. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    Bring syrup. Or is that Vermont? Just what the h#ll does NH contribute to the Union anyway? I mean; besides a tax haven for Massachusetts liberals?

Just kiddin', Bra! I always get 'giddy' before a US match....I'll buy ya a 3.2 @ Iggys!

11. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    As an associate of Marriott, I can't be involved in any PM (if it exists) activity. Any discussions of such should be partaken in a non-public environment on Friday night.

12. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    I need some urgent information.

From Rice-Eccels Stadium, where is the closest state-run liquor store? What is the address? What are their typical hours? web site?

I was in Wal-mart today and they didn't have much selection and I didn't want to poison my liver with 3.2% (never know what will happen after that)!

Thanks!

13. MinnesotaScouser

Mar 29, 2005
    St Paul, Minnesota
    Bus # 50 (Airport/International Center-Inbound) will get you downtown.

14. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Went and bought my flag today! Leaving around noon tomorrow. See you all out there.

Oh, if any of the Loyalists bring extra beer, I'd be happy to give a few bucks to have a couple. I know it's 3.2%, but hey I like beer. We'll probably be toting soda/liquor, but a nice cold beer to wash it down helps.

See you all tomorrow!

15. Clinton AFC

Clinton AFC New Member

Aug 14, 2004
    Clinton
    The map I have has a 'gummint' liquor store located at 205 W 200 South. They sell that thar' "hard beer" (<3.2%)!

Dad & I will be stocking up Friday & carry 'the piss' on the TRAX up to the stadium for the match. He's a Notre Dame Alum so there must be real beer or even a win won't convince him that a win was worth the trip.
    :p

16. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    This is old information, but a taxi from the airport to down should be about $15.

The 50 bus takes longer, but is definitely a better deal.

17. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    OK, I did a little research. Here are the state liquor stores in Salt Lake City according to this page. I've mapped them.

I will be going to this one - since I'll be nearby visiting "This is the place".
    State Liquor Store
    (801) 584-8387 1615 Foothill Dr
    Salt Lake City, UT

The closest one to Iggy's is 3 blocks north.
    Utah State Liquor Store
    (801) 533-5901 205 W 400 S
    Salt Lake City, UT

Another one in the city center (just 2 blocks north of the city & county - what I'd call city hall):
    Utah State Wine Store
    (801) 533-6444 255 S 300 E
    Salt Lake City, UT

Now, I'm not sure what the hours are - but I guess I'll find out today.

18. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Can someone shed light on the "3.2%" alcohol content and what it means to drafts and bottled beer versus that found outside state (or is it city) limits? Can "normal" beer be found in drafts anywhere, or are we relegated to bottles?
    (Please forgive if this has already been addressed.)

19. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    From the state govt.

http://www.alcbev.state.ut.us/Liquor_Laws/liquor_laws_affecting_visitors.html#general_info

Wine, Liquor, and Beer Full liquor service is available in licensed restaurants, banquet and catering facilities, airport lounges, and private clubs. Patrons may order liquor by the drink, wine by the glass or bottle, and beer in bottles, cans and on draft. Packaged liquor, wine, and heavy beer (over 3.2%) are available in State Liquor Stores and Package Agencies.

In restaurants with full service liquor licenses, liquor, wine and heavy beer (over 3.2%) may be served from noon to midnight. Beer (3.2%) is available from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. Patrons must be dining in the restaurant in order to be served an alcoholic beverage. Patrons may be served at their table or in a waiting area. There are approximately 525 licensed restaurants in Utah, and most are located in the Salt Lake, Park City, Ogden, and Provo areas.

In restaurants with limited service liquor licenses, wine, and heavy beer (over 3.2%) may be served from noon to midnight. Beer (3.2%) is available from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. Limited restaurant licenses may not sell distilled spirits.

An on-premise banquet license allows the storage, sale, service, and consumption of liquor, wine, heavy beer, and beer for contracted banquet activities on the premises of a hotel, resort facility, sports center, or convention center. It also allows for room service in hotels and resorts. Alcoholic beverages may be sold on any day from 10 a.m. until 1 a.m.

In private clubs, liquor, wine, heavy beer, and beer may be served from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. Clubs sell alcoholic beverages with or without food, and patrons may be served at a bar or table. Many clubs provide live entertainment.

Although clubs are primarily for members and their guests, most clubs offer temporary "visitor card" memberships for a nominal fee (usually $4 for three weeks). The visitor card allows the visitor and up to seven of his/her guests to use the club. There are approximately 340 private clubs that offer full alcoholic beverage service. Most are located in the Salt Lake, Park City, Ogden, and Provo areas.

In airport lounges, liquor, wine, heavy beer, and beer may be served from 8:00 a.m. until 12 midnight. Alcoholic beverages may be sold with or without food, and patrons may be served at a bar or table. Airport lounges are located at the Salt Lake International Airport.

Beer
    Beer establishments sell beer to customers in a variety of venues. These include taverns, lounges, cabarets, nightclubs, cafes, bowling alleys, golf courses, etc. Approximately 500 businesses sell beer for consumption on the premises. Almost half are located in the Salt Lake and Park City area. The hours for beer sales in these establishments are 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 a.m. Beer may be purchased without ordering food, and is sold on draft and in bottles and cans. Beer sales to go are also allowed.

Packaged beer is also available at supermarkets, grocery and convenience stores. The maximum alcohol content is 4.0% by volume (3.2% by weight) for beer sold in taverns, beer establishments, and stores.

"Taverns" are beer bars, parlors, lounges, cabarets, and nightclubs where the revenue from the sale of beer exceeds the revenue of the sale of food. Minors are not allowed on the premises of a tavern.

Metered Dispensing
    Utah law requires restaurants, private clubs, and airport lounges to use a metered dispensing system that is calibrated to dispense no more than one ounce of primary liquor in a mixed drink. Secondary alcoholic flavorings may then be added to a mixed drink as the recipe requires not to exceed a total of 2.75 ounces of spirituous liquor.

Wine Service
    Restaurants (full and limited service), on-premise banquet licensees, private clubs, and airport lounges may serve wine by the glass (5 ounces) or by the bottle.

20. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Thanks PRK166. From that site, I found additional information. Here's the link. It looks like the state run liquor stores are opened from 11am to 6pm Monday-Saturday.

Also, the Utah State Wine Store on 255 S 300 E sells wine not alcohol.

21. Steve H.

Steve H. Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    One thing about "3.2" beer, there's not really that much difference between that and the standard beers you find elsewhere in the US. 3.2 refers to the percentage of alcohol content by weight or mass. IIRC, "regular" beer is about 3.6-3.8 percent by weight.

Bottom line: Drink a six-pack of 3.2 Squatters Full Suspension Pale Ale, at the stadium's altitude of 4600 feet above sea level, and you will be plenty drunk.

22. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Any other local or somewhat local recommendations?

BTW, I like how the laws distinguish between what they call "beer" (3.2%) and "heavy beer" (over 3.2%).

Question of the day: Is Guinness, which is lower in alcohol content than most beers, such as Sam Adams, considered a "beer" or a "heavy beer"?

23. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Elevation always helps. :D

24. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    I'm guessing you've not been to a game in Mexico City.

25. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Sorry if this has been covered already but what time does the tailgate begin?
    What time do the parking lots open?

My flight from LA arrives into SLC Saturday morning (9:30 am) and the game does not start until 5:30 pm. I will have a couple of hours to kill. Any ideas?

I'm looking forward to meeting up with you all.

Cheers and safe travels.

Edit: Never mind. I found the tailgate information, from earlier in this thread.

Tailgate Info: