50a Copa Libertadores 2010

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by JAIME CHILE, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pingudo

Pingudo New Member

Nov 18, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

What will the groups look like?

For example, group H could be:

Flamengo
    U. Chile
    Caracas
    Lanus/U.Catolica/La Serena/Colo Colo

2. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    I was just curious to know does Boca Juniors get a free pass to this 2010
    Copa Libertdores? I haven't heard much about them being in the competition?

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It's very unfair. Punish the teams from the two nations that didn't want to play, not hurt the chances of the other 28 teams.... :mad:

But this is Conmebol, so we should be used to it.....

4. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    So it's Fla, U. de Chile, Caracas, Lanus/U. Catolica.

Yep.

5. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Since only 14 teams will qualify from the group stages, being in the top 2 in your group isn't good enough.

My guess is that the 8 group leaders will qualify and they'll probably just rank the best runner-ups based on points, where the top 6 out of 8 will go on to the next stage.

6. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Neither Boca nor River qualified to the 2010 Libertadores.

7. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lanus? So Colon doesn't have a shot?

8. The Antigua Ganja redded

Oct 13, 2009
    Club:
    Estudiantes De La Plata
    Estudiantes, Velez Sarsfield are already in the group stage.

Colon, Banfield, Lanus, and Newells are in. However, who would be Argentina 3-6 is still unknown until the end of this week.

We already have our 6 qualified teams mathematically. It is just a matter of seeing who goes where.

9. nopalnation

nopalnation Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I agree and most Mexicans agree with you.. but it was a Conmebol decision not a Mexican one..:rolleyes:

10. Gustav

Gustav Member

Nov 14, 2004
    here & there
    To anybody who knows about the Libertadores rules and regulations: Is there a rule that says that no 5 teams from the same country can make it to the quarterfinals?

The 5 Brazilian teams look very strong, (Corinthians will buy good players for Libertadores) I can see them easily winning their respective groups. If that's the case they could all potentially defeat their weaker second placed rivals in the round of 16. Thus ensuring 5 Brazilian teams in the quarterfinals! And the possibility exists that 2 of them will reach the final which conmebol doesn't want.

I know there's a rule that if 3 or more teams from the same country make it to the quarterfinals they should play among themselves... BUT I think there should be another rule that says that if 5 or more teams from the same country make it to the round of 16, at least 2 of them should play among themselves thus ensuring that no country has more than 4 teams in the quarterfinals!

11. CharlieBrown

CharlieBrown New Member

Nov 14, 2004
    FL
    I was wondering the same thing. All I've seen is Chile3, Peru2, Venezuela3 etc. but no real team names

12. The Antigua Ganja redded

Oct 13, 2009
    Club:
    Estudiantes De La Plata
    Not at the momment. That rule only applies to the semifinals.

Still........that's a really gay rule that CONMEBOL should get rid of. Why should a league be punished for other's deficiencies?

13. The Antigua Ganja redded

Oct 13, 2009
    Club:
    Estudiantes De La Plata
    Group 1
    Corinthians (
    São Paulo)
    Cerro Porteño (Asuncion)
    Colombia 2
    Colombia 3 or Racing (Montevideo)

Group 2
    São Paulo FC (São Paulo)
    Paraguay 2
    Once Caldas (Manizales)
    Mexico 2

Group 3
    Estudiantes (La Plata)
    Bolívar (La Paz)
    Peru 2
    Juan Aurich (Chiclayo) or Mexico 3

Group 4
    Argentina 4
    Blooming (Santa Cruz)
    Peru 1
    Deportivo Táchira (San Cristóbal) or Paraguay 3

Group 5
    Internacional (Porto Alegre)
    Cerro (Montevideo)
    Deportivo Quito (Quito)
    Argentina 6 or Emelec (Guayaquil)

Group 6
    Argentina 3
    Nacional (Montevideo)
    Deportivo Cuenca (Cuenca)
    Monarcas Morelia (Morelia)

Group 7
    Vélez Sársfield (Buenos Aires)
    Colo-Colo (Santiago)
    Deportivo Italia (Caracas)
    Real Potosí (Potosí) or Cruzeiro (Belo Horizonte)

Group 8
    Flamengo (Rio de Janeiro)
    Universidad de Chile (Santiago)
    Caracas FC (Caracas)
    Argentina 5 or Universidad Católica (Santiago)

14. ElMuneco

ElMuneco Member

Jun 27, 2004
    Encinitas, CA
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    If Cruzeiro disposes of Real Potosi in Group 7, which most likely they will, Group 7 in my opinion will be the "Group of Death" with Velez, Colo Colo, and Cruzeiro all fighting for classification. Deportivo Italia will probably be the whipping boys of the group.

15. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

This is sooo crazy and weird at the same time not to have Boca or River in this huge tournament. I already can tell you that the winner of Libertadores is gonna be a Brasilian club Flamengo and Corithians are gearing up for this tournament they really mean bussiness! Flamengo is gonna buy that guy from Shalke, Ze Roberto, I don't know if Adriano is gonna go to Roma yet. Also Corithians is strengthing their midfield I forgot who their buying as well?
    You can't forget about Sao Paulo.

16. The Antigua Ganja redded

Oct 13, 2009
    Club:
    Estudiantes De La Plata
    Ok, let's all clear this dangerous myth spread by gloryhunters and plastics since the early 90's.

A "group of death" is a group in which ALL teams are considered to be at the same level. It is NOT when there are 1 or 2 teams with strong preformances in the tournament in discussion and having 1 or 2 teams that can spring a "surprise".

For example, a REAL group of death in the Libertadores would be this (THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE REGARDLESS OF HOW THEY ARE DOING TODAY):

• Sao Paulo
    • Nacional
    • Olimpia
    • Boca Juniors

In that group alone, you have 15 Copa Libertadores, 10 CWC/ICs, 9 Recopa Sudamericanas, 5 SS/CS, and a whole number of cups that aren't really taken seriously as "great" titles. The funny thing is that, given the right circumstances, that group I mentioned can happen even today.

We have no groups of death this year (we haven't had one in years) so we'll see how it pans out.

In the World Cup, we have had only ONE real group of death and that was in 1982 when in Group C of the second round it was Argentina, Italy, and Brazil. However, the term "group of death" wasn't invented until 1986.

Today, we got idiots claiming Italy, Ghana, Czech Republic, and facking USA is a group of death...my god! Has the sport been affected that much by the gloryhunters and plastics?!

17. nopalnation

nopalnation Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    First time since 1983 that none of Argentina's top 5 teams make it to Libertadores.. River, Boca, San Lorenzo, Independiente, and Racing are all out..

damn..:rolleyes:

18. The Antigua Ganja redded

Oct 13, 2009
    Club:
    Estudiantes De La Plata
    Top 5? Don't believe the hype of the media that much.

River, Boca, and Independiente are definetly bigger than us but San Lorenzo and Racing?

Racing is no different then Velez in which they have won a handful of national titles and had a really great international year...just ONE year.

San Lorenzo only has a big following due to being one of the first clubs created in a big city...that's all.

19. nopalnation

nopalnation Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    San Diego CA
    Club:
    CA Monarcas Morelia
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Blame FoxSports en Español, that is where i got it..:rolleyes::D

But I hear ya, In Mexico is Chivas y America for sure.. after that, it depends who you ask for the other 3 as the top 5..

20. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA
    So I guess the last teams to complete the groups for the whole copa Libertadores are the
    Mexican clubs that are in Inter-liga depending who those winners are?

21. Arthur V

Arthur V Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Brasilia, BRASIL
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nacional x Libertad.

One of them will be in the group of São Paulo.

Wiche one is better? I haven't watch any game of them lately.

22. ROMERO879

ROMERO879 Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Universitario de Deportes beat Alianza Lima to become Peruvian champions today.

Universitario de Deportes to Group 4.
    Alianza Lima in Group 3.

23. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Based on international cups San Lorenzo is nowhere close to be in the top 5, if it was based on that then Estudiantes would be bigger than River... then Vélez and Argentinos Juniors who aren't considered "big" either won the Libertadores at least once but San Lorenzo never came close.

Nevermind, so the 6 argentines in order are:

Group
    1- Estudiantes
    2- Vélez
    3- Banfield
    4- Lanús
    Qualifying Round
    5- Colón
    6- Newell's

The two red-black sides go to the qualifying round, Colón will face Universidad Católica and Newell's will face Emelec. Notice that a single team from Buenos Aires(Vélez) qualified this year.

Notice how similar is the distribution of teams for Group 2 and 3. If Lanús doesn't reach the Round of 16 this time... And Group 6 is the only group that is complete by the time being.

24. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    well lanus and banfield are based on the south, which i suppose is part of the BIG BUENOS AIRES, but not the CAPITAL FEDERAL.

25. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exactly. Banfield and Lanús are in the southern zone of the greater Buenos Aires area(Lomás de Zámora and Lanús respectively) which are the southern surroundings of Buenos Aires.

Also Newell's is from Rosario in the province of Santa Fe, Colón is from Santa Fe, the city, note that the capital of Santa Fe is called the same, Santa Fe, occasionally Rosario is mistaken as the capital of Santa Fe.