5 top wnt players accuse ussf of wage discrimination

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by luvdagame, Mar 31, 2016.

1. Germerica

Germerica Member+

May 2, 2012
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    The two primary fallacies these ladies are maintaining:

a) there is a dis-equity simply because they have vaginas and the men have dicks

b) they completely ignore the developmental and financial advantages they are given compared to other women's soccer players around the world and are arrogant enough to think that their 'success' is solely their own doing

Simply put, I root for the USWNT, but believe me, the federation is not trembling over a possible strike. I can't see them responding with anything other than a yawn.

DoyleG repped this.
  2. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    I'm sure someone either has or can reasonably quickly find out how big a percentage of MLS' player pool consists of college soccer players. My guess is that it's somewhere around 1/3 to 1/2, with both foreign-born and American-born players using that route. It might even be more than 1/2.

Also, it is interesting to note that mens' programs are strictly limited to a maximum (I believe it's a hard limit) of 9.9 scholarships - and very few schools ever give a full ride. Despite this, MLS gets a very large portion of their talent from this group.

I'm not sure if womens' programs are subject to a hard limit, but I do know that the big schools have more spots to give, and there are entire conferences that do not exist on the mens' side. Not sure the total number of programs, but I suspect the womens' side at the DI level has 50%-100% more teams than the men.

3. RUfan

RUfan Member

Dec 11, 2004
    NJ
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That language was in March 2001 so we don't really know if it is still the current membership rules. But your premise may be valid that newer WNT players have at least a vote in the contract approval or strike process. Are they as "radical" as some of the older players? As much as Solo was? The newer players have made it to the big show and making money; would they be willing to strike and give up a season of pay? Are the newer players thinking "it took a bunch of older players to finally retire/forced off the team before we got a shot at the team, now some of those same players are talking of strike? No way. "

4. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's in the legal case, so it's unlikely that it would be changed without the updates also being included.

5. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    I'm sure what he meant by 'preferred developmental path' was 'best way to develop as player', not that people don't choose college.

Of course many go via college. If you aren't NT material / EPL level prospect, take the scholarship. It may not be best for your pro career, but if you are a borderline, MLS level talent anyway, get the degree.

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    The current 2nd place player in the USNT scoring list went to Furman for 3 years.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  7. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Finish your argument, please. Does that, in your view, prove that US college is an equal or better developmental path compared to professional path? Would Pulisic develop as well at Furman as he will in Dortmund?

I just want to understand what you are arguing here.

8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You stated that "if you aren't NT material..."

I'd say Dempsey is/was NT material. There are multiple paths.

Would Dempsey, as a 17/18 year old have developed at Dortmund? Answer: no, largely because Dortmund wouldn't have had him. There are special circumstances that made Pulisic attractive to a top-level Bundesliga team, not least of which is that his talent was expressed at a young-enough age AND he had lots of additional fortune in grabbing the attention of the right people at the right time.

Not everyone is a Pulisic. Not everyone is a Dempsey. There's only been one Landon Donovan (literally and figuratively) for a reason (actually, many reasons).

9. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    Oh, you didn't understand that part? Fair enough, let me explain it in more detail.

Yes, I said if you aren't NT material / EPL level prospect, take scholarship. If you are a borderline talent, why wouldn't you get a degree? Soccer career could be short, and you probably aren't going to make millions from it. Get the free degree, it can serve you well in life.

I think this is something that I and most parents would advise a kid, unless he looks like clear elite prospect who's likely to make millions.

And so many kids go to college, and then many of them still play in MLS. This is being safe and smart.

So this is what I meant. Now, somehow you seem to have read me saying "if Messi went to college, he wouldn't be a good player." Let me assure you, this is not what I meant.

Also I think the person you originally quoted didn't meant this either. He said "it is widely accepted that men's college soccer is not a preferred (albeit still possible) developmental path for professional footballers." To put it more simply, he says that college is not the best way to develop as a player (albeit still possible). Albeit still possible. Albeit still possible. I think that guy knew about Dempsey (or maybe he had some other decent college to pro players in mind).

10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Free degree? Hahahaha. No. Not even for scholarship soccer players on the men's side. Not even a little bit, really. And as far as I know, Dempsey does not have a degree. Yedlin almost certainly doesn't (picking another early departure). Some will no doubt go back at one point (Brian West did, and he legitimately got more than a couple of caps).

I'm glad you're telling me what I think, but you'll have to dial in your accuracy a bit.

A significant and un-ignorable portion of MLS' players (yes, even top players) were college athletes.

I actually don't really like the college model for developing players, but it's a reality and it seems to fill some gaps that perhaps a more traditional system would miss. It also still provides a significant amount of talent, and that's just something that cannot be hand-waved away.

11. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there many US born mens players that have taken advantage of foreign clubs for development? There has obviously been some, but my impression is that most that go over at a young age tend to disappear in Europe and have come back as damaged goods.

If my impression is accurate, it seems like arguing that women are uniquely benefitting fron a system that the men are also benefitting from is a bit moot at this point..

12. y-lee-coyote

y-lee-coyote Member+

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The top men footballers do not benefit from title IX or govt funding since the rest of the world has a different and much more accepted developmental model. There has been sufficient player development funding outside of govt channels in mens soccer for decades. As a general rule, with extremely few exceptions the "best" men footballers in the world do not play college soccer.

Our unique model funded largely by the govt for all sports, has uniquely benefitted the women since we we are the only ones in the world spending money to develop the players and the game. This renders Ms. Lloyd's argument of "we ought to make more because we win" moot.

No, You win because we spend exponentially more. Her argument is another layer of the web of deceit they are spinning.

I didn't really mean to get you guys off topic. The 60 minutes interview just got me twisted. She could have not made me any more angry had she been sitting in the room with me, and called me the most stupid person she ever met. Sadly she probably believes the BS she is spewing and I can't decides whether that annoys or saddens me.

13. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Where do you keep getting this government spending? In a lot of other countries, the government funds sports. Not here.

(Coincidentally, I just read a decade's worth of financial filings for U.S. Soccer. I've got finances on my brain.)

CoachJon repped this.
  14. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Women's D1 scholarship limit is 12.

Women's soccer teams: 328 D1, 267 D2, 439 D3 (1,034 total)

Men's soccer teams: 202 D1, 215 D2, 415 D3 (832 total)

bigredfutbol, CoachJon and Timon19 repped this.
  15. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    14 not 12

16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We aren't talking about the best male soccer players in the world here... Or at least we shouldn't be.. We should be talking about US male soccer players and many/most of them have gone through the college system with some variety of scholarship..

17. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    14 now? When did it go up?

18. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Always has been as far as I know.

19. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    It was 11 at one point, then 12. I thought I remembered a raise to 13 at some point, but the data I found from last year said 12.

20. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Taken from this year's manual. I know it's been 14 for at least 8 years, but I don't know how long prior to that it has been 14.

15.5.3.1.1 Men’s Sports. ere shall be a limit on the value (equivalency) of nancial aid awards (per Bylaw 15.02.4.2) that an institution may provide in any academic year to counters in the following men’s sports: (Revised: 1/10/91, 1/10/92, 1/16/93 e ective 8/1/93, 4/26/07 e ective 8/1/08)

Cross Country/
    Track and Field ......... 12.6

Fencing.............................. 4.5 Golf...................................4.5 Gymnastics ........................ 6.3 Lacrosse ........................... 12.6 Ri e................................... 3.6

Skiing ................................ 6.3 Soccer ................................ 9.9 Swimming and Diving....... 9.9 Tennis................................4.5 Volleyball ........................... 4.5 Water Polo.........................4.5 Wrestling ........................... 9.9

15.5.3.1.2 Women’s Sports. ere shall be a limit on the value (equivalency) of nancial aid awards (per Bylaw 15.02.4.2) that an institution may provide in any academic year to counters in the following women’s sports: (Revised: 1/10/91, 1/10/92 e ective 8/1/94, 1/16/93, 1/11/94 e ective 9/1/94, 1/9/96 e ective 8/1/96, 11/1/01 e ective 8/1/02, 4/28/05 e ective 8/1/05, 4/28/05 e ective 8/1/06, 1/17/09 e ective 8/1/09, 1/15/11 e ective 8/1/11, 1/18/14 e ective 8/1/14)

Bowling ................................ 5 Cross Country/

Track and Field ............ 18 Equestrian .......................... 15 Fencing ................................. 5 Field Hockey ...................... 12 Golf ...................................... 6 Lacrosse .............................. 12 Rowing ............................... 20

Rugby ................................. 12 Skiing ................................... 7 Soccer ................................. 14 Softball ............................... 12 Swimming and Diving........ 14 Triathlon ...... 4.5 for 2015-16;

5.5 for 2016-17; and

6.5 for 2017-18 and thereafter. Water Polo............................8

21. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    The economics are simply not there for the ladies much to their chargin.

22. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    345 hours 47 minutes 50 seconds to the Apocalypse, Misery, the End of Days, Catastrophe, Tragedy, Armageddon.

In 345 hours 47 minutes 50 seconds there may be no United States Women’s National Team.

[​IMG]

On or about December 29, 2016, if it starts raining, run don’t walk to the nearest Hardware Store and purchase the necessary materials to build an Ark.
    If you possess the technical equipment to monitor the heavens, I would suggest that you keep an eye out for a large asteroid that takes a radical turn…and heads right for us.

23. CrankyDefender

Apr 24, 2014
    I am far from Politically Correct. However I am unnerved by the specter of nuclear warfare. I dare say that most of the Christian world is looking to celebrate the birth of their Savior tomorrow and Armageddon is far from their hearts or minds.

24. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    So you're triggered by an obviously tongue-in-cheek post of a depiction of a nuclear explosion in reference to a labor dispute?

Fantastic.