$5 for Wiz - Gals this weekend

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Bambule GK, Nov 1, 2004.

1. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I don't think Kansas is going to make the Big XII championship game. Though the north division is rather week this year.

2. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Granted this was for the US/Pan match, but I had to buy a ticket for my four yr old, and lied about my two year old and said he was under two. I thought it was pretty funking ridiculous to pay $90 for the three of us to see a match that only one of them MIGHT remember attending. I am pretty sure the DC ticket policy is the same, though the cutoff might be four. I think anyone under the age of 6 or 8 should at least be able to buy a half price ticket.

3. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U2 played a concert in Arizona (Sun Devil Stadium -- Seats 76k) where the tickets were $5. Did that have an adverse affect on them?

It's a Friday night game with less than a week's notice. We draw crap crowds for a weekday match, and that's even with a normal promotion time.

We also make fun of teams that can't fill the stands. Maybe having some folks in cheap will make them think about attending matches next year.

If they only manage to draw their average attendence, then you can jump all over them.

And why the hell would you pay over $5 to watch a HS Frosh Basketball game?

4. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They actually did it two nights in a row (I was at both) and had already played the same city on that tour. Come on, they were filiming a movie and got people to pay to be "the crowd" -- how smart is that? -- at least they could sell out a basketball arena at regular prices, just not a football stadium two nights in a row. Not really an instructive example.

5. T Nitty

T Nitty New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    MD
    It's funny that this thread is 4 times the size of the one in the Kansas forum.

If I was a LAG supporter, I would organize a buyout of all the $5 tix.

6. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    I think you are in denial about the state of soccer in this country.

Reality is chosing between the lesser of two evils -- terrible attendance for the biggest games of the year vs. heavy promotion.

Pick your poison.

DC clearly has a stronger, deeper, more loyal fan base than KC, so maybe they have the luxury of making a different choice.

7. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I paid 5 more than 5 bucks to see my high school beat the living crap out of a bunch of pansy thought they were king of the world team from a rival high school. Well worth it.

Your U2 arguement, give me a break man. U2 can do that because they already have the popularity (not like they are hurting for money or fans like KC or MLS is) and then add Atouk's arguement.

8. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sounds like you guys are just jealous.

9. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably. We have to pay twice that just to park in broken glass and potholes :)

10. michael greene

Oct 31, 2002
    With Arenas, Kwame and Steve Blake injured, I wouldn't pay even $5 to see the Wizards play.

We are talking NBA, right? :)

11. dcuinvermont

dcuinvermont Member

Sep 8, 2000
    Burlington VT
    I'd rather pick my Poission.
    How about free fish night next year when DC plays the Gals!

12. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The U2 concert was for Rattle and Hum, they actually did it to cut down on scalping.

KC could use a nice attendance boost. For what I pay to see United on Saturday, a family of four can say "what the hell, let's give it a try".

KC had 10k last week. With a few weeks of buildup (they knew they were going to be in the playoffs for some time), they managed 10k in a huge venue. With less than a one week's worth of promotion and on a wacky night, they're going to be hurting.

Is it more legit to have an empty stadium? The team will take a $ hit either way. They can have empty $20 tix, or maybe a few hundred or a few thousand more @$5......maybe give their team a boost that they've got fans who care.

If we were talking about United, LA, or the Crew, I understand that the team would be selling itself short. But I think this concept works for a team that struggling (maybe not really struggling but they could do better) at the gate for a situtation that put's them in a hard place.

13. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jealous of what, that your team practically has to pay people to come out and watch the conference final? Of the 'Zard tard and cheeleaders? Of cartoon noises and music during the run of play?

I don't think so.

K

14. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Enough said! Rep has been given!

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this idea. Kudos to the Wizards. Remember May 17, 1998.

16. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Amazing. More people in KC would pay $65 to see a guy named Priest than pay $5 to see a Serb named Preki and a goalie named Fat Tony.

17. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Both of whom are injured, genius.