$5 for Wiz - Gals this weekend

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Bambule GK, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    In the old days, most baseball stadiums let kids in free with an adult. That helped build a long-lasting relationship between kid and team. One could make the, admittedly thin, argument that this would be along those same lines, except this doesn't limit the benefit to children. I could see a scenario where folks who went to this match and had a good time would think about what a great deal it was and come back for more, regardless of the higher (than $5) ticket price.

...ahhh who am I kidding. This is desperation city.

2. Bambule GK

Bambule GK New Member

Aug 16, 2000
    The ATL

Well, E, if that's yours in the photo, you'll soon be able to avail yourself of the fact that kids under 6 currently get into DCU games free already.

3. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    (It is)

Huzzah!

I love that policy.

4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How old are these old days that you are talking about? I went to my first baseball game in 1968 and I remember it costing a buck-thirty to sit in the top deck of Shea Stadium, where you could almost reach out and touch the planes taking off from LaGuardia. The Yankees cost a whopping buck-fifty for the top deck, but a dollar for the right field bleachers which were pretty close in the pre-renovation stadium, and 75 cents to sit in the left field bleachers where the first row was about 450 feet out. These prices were the same, regardless of who was using the ticket. In Jarry Parc in Montreal, you could pay C$1 (80 c)to sit in the "estrande populaire" (LF bleachers) or a dime (8 c) to swim in the pool beyond the RF fence, where you could watch the game through 2 chain-link fences

Of course in those days, the top priced box-seat was no more than $4, unlike now when it's roughly the same as a downpayment on a modest starter home....

Anyway, hopefully the Whizzers will get a decent crowd. Since it's their last home game, they could position it as a "fan appreciation night"

Tom

5. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I could have sworn I saw a sign at the stadium last weekend that said any child over the age of two needed a ticket. I thought this to be a ridiculous policy so hopefully it was put up by mistake.

6. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I wish I could buy a beer for $5 at RFK!

7. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    What a great post.

8. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Everyone needs a ticket to get in.

If a parent purchases a season ticket, DC United gives a kid under six, a season ticket for free (I know I have two daughters and have been doing this for years, for one of them I now pay half price for a youth season ticket).

As for the playoffs, I think everyone pays the same price.

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Gotcha. I hope none of this comes into play for me for a few years, but it's good to know anyway!

10. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    I hope it works for KC. They probably had their first playoff game as part of their season ticket packet and everything on top of that is gravy for them on the money side. Being a Friday night game and only one week to advertise they are doing everythign possible to get fans in the seats.

11. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    :)

12. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Exactly. They are helped by the fact that because of their ownership, they get a larger cut of the ancillary revenues like parking, food, and merchandise sales.

13. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep for you!
    :D

14. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    hmmmmmm lap dances $5 ? ? ? ? hmmmmmmmmmmmm :rolleyes:
    " hello Michelin...about those Radial high-speed extra stong condoms ?"

15. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Will the people who prepaid for the game get $5 tickets? If not, I'd be pissed off if I were one of them.

16. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you checked out his post count? :p

I think he posts everywhere.

17. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    Apparently, they get a credit of some sort. Just think of it, 30 dollars to spend on beer. Nevermind that would buy you exactly two. :D

18. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    hmmm $30 for a beer IV....not bad...hmmmmmmmmm

19. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Not sure exactly, but it was probably ended around the time the Dodgers left Brooklyn.

20. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the last non-interfered game at rfk should be celebrated with $5 upper-bowl tickets.

21. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Actually, I don't think the playoff game last week was part of the package. The Wizards season ticket is 18 games. 15 MLS games plus 3 "special" games. The Wizards hosted three US Open Cup games.

Friday will be the Wizards 20th competitive home game this year.

22. scarshins

scarshins Member

Jun 13, 2000
    fcva
    I'm going to guess some honchos saw the decent crowd and great atmosphere last weekend at RFK and thought, how can we get 15,000 to go to Arrowhead to support Kansas, who deserves it.

23. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crap I paid more to watch my high school's freshman basketball team play in in 1997 as a student! This is the ultimate in degredation of professional soccer in this country I have ever seen. And I can't believe that MLS would let this fly.

And I hope and pray that DC United never has to sink that low. Fan appreciation is one thing, but $5 bribe seats is a whole new low KC is just desparate, maybe they should look at relocating to a city that actually wants a soccer team.

24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh. Interesting feelings here the last few days.

I tend to like the idea, what a great way to get people out on a Friday night.

When you buy something on sale, do you feel cheated, or that the product was less appealing because there was a price break?

So if they had $1 beer at the stadium, you wouldn't buy it?

25. Cantankerous

Cantankerous New Member

Apr 15, 2003
    United country
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is this any worse than putting on a fireworks show, or handing out cheesy plastic lunchbags?

If the people come to the game, bribed or not, and fill the stands (at least within view of the TV cameras) that might get the casual viewers interested enough to show up in person the next time.

Sometimes a marketing ploy is just a marketing ploy, and not a nefarious attempt to scuttle American soccer's chances of survival.