5 events since 1900 that changed the World

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Scarecrow, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What 5 events would you say changed the World since 1900? Please avoid the Generalizations like WWII and such, lets try to focus this on particular events such as 9/11, or Hiroshima. The murder of Arch-Duke Ferdinand, things like that.

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Birth control pill

3. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    1) Bolshevik revolution
    2) Hitler takes power in Germany
    3) Nuclear bomb invented
    4) Television invented
    5) USSR invades Afghanistan

4. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DynamoKiev_USA: I echo your list except for #5; I believe the development of the computer chip had more of an effect on the world than the Russians in Afghanistan... additionally the development of the Monroe Doctrine and how it ushered in the USA as the world's benefactor should factor in one of these "events"!

5. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    1. Wright Brothers at Kitty Hawk
    2. Hiroshima Destroyed
    3. Bolshevik Revolution
    4. Human Genome Project
    5. 1st Television Broadcast

6. DynamoKiev_USA

DynamoKiev_USA New Member

Jul 6, 2003
    Silver Spring, MD
    Russians in Afghanistan has, arguably, led to both the collapse of the USSR, end of the Cold War, and rise of Al Qaeda...

As for the Internet, I guess it can be grouped together with the development of TV -- both led to an enormous number of people suddenly having access to all kinds of stuff that never used to concern them before, for better or for worse.

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In no particular order:

The discovery of penicillin (well, the discovery that led somewhere).
    The successful testing of the first atomic weapon at Alamogordo.
    The invention of broadcast television.
    The emergence of AIDS.
    Ferris Bueller taking a day off.

8. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    the advent of television.
    central air.
    pizza delivery.
    my dad sleeping with my mom.
    listerine breath strips.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vaccine for Polio

10. Hard Karl

Hard Karl New Member

Sep 3, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    in no order cause I don't roll that way

-invention of the integrated circuit
    -the summer of 1968
    -first combat deployment of nukes in Japan
    -the rise of the third reich
    -the missing white girl in Aruba

/pulled out of my ass

11. Claus KJ

Claus KJ New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Aarhus, Denmark
    I think the foundation of Israel would have to be considered in such a top five.

KJ

12. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Treaty of Versailles (Edited)
    Opening of the Ford Motor Company
    1939 Wold's Fair with the 1st TV broadcast
    JFK Assasination
    Sputnik

13. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Chronological order:

1. Assasination of Arch-Duke Ferdinand. WWI started digging formal Imperialism's grave.
    2. UK high-tailing it out of the middle-east, leaving Israel holding the bag, and Palestine wanting what was in it.
    3. Alan Freed using the words "Rock" and "Roll" to describe a type of music.
    4. Assasination of Bobby Kennedy. For what might have been.
    5. The release of the RFC that standardized DNS.

Honorable mentions: Arnold Schoenberg liberating the dissonance. Rosa Parks refusing to leave her seat on the bus. Albert Einstein theorizing that E=mc^2. Nelson Mandela's election as President of South Africa. (A larger event, but: ) The global economic collapse of the 1920s and 1930s. The fall of the Berlin Wall. The attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon in '01.

14. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't you say that the RFK assasination was a result of actions put into motion by the JFK assasination?

15. DamonEsquire

DamonEsquire BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 16, 2002
    Kentucky
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Black Tuesday= Inflation never release bite on country and even worldly matters (National Debit). http://www.snopes.com/quotes/brazil.htm http://www.epinet.org/content.cfm/issueguides_minwage_minwagefacts
    2. Treaty of Versailles= Marks end of war only to see it rise. http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/imt/partxiii.htm
    3. Black Death= twenty five million dead in five years' couple that with end of The Crusades; you see why England could deny Mr. Christopher Columbus. http://www.insecta-inspecta.com/fleas/bdeath/bdeath.html http://www.themiddleages.net/plague.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenth_Crusade
    4. Computers= Informational transition to The Space Age. http://www.maxmon.com/1973ad.htm
    5. Independence Day= It happens periodicaly throughout time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Day_%28United_States%29

16. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Unfortunately, Matt, he was assasinated 3 years before I was born, so I don't have the kind of first-hand sense of event-sequencing that comes from seeing them happen (to wit: I knew we were going to war in Iraq in '91 when the late-night talkshows began to proactively complain about high gas prices...). What hindsight gives me is a wistful "what-if?" point of view that looks at his actions in a historical context and plays them out into today's world. From my vantage, an RFK administration would have had a larger positive impact on the United States (and by proxy, the planet) than another 1.5 or 5.5 years of JFK.

A long way of saying: you may be right, but I couldn't assert that with my knowledge set.

17. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
  18. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    1. 1916: Nathan Handwerker opens nickel hot-dog stand at Coney Island.
    2. 1943: Frank Powolny takes pin-up photograph of Betty Grable.
    3. 1958: Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin begin selling both the Hula Hoop and the Frisbie.
    4. 1981: Luke and Laura get married.
    5. 1999: Dean Kamen founds company to build the Segway, which 4 years later fails to kill President Bush.

19. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    See, I think a lot of people might jump the gun and go with JR getting shot here. But clearly Luke and Laura getting married is the right selection.

20. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

All classics! :)

I don't see how JFK's assasination is that big of a world event. Seems like the yank-colored glasses are being worn on that one.

a) Communism (rise in Russia / fall in Russia): The rise and fall is leading countries to things they would've thought silly 50 years ago. It rose with a belief that economies were things that could be planned and controled. And with it's collapse in eastern europe and Russia, it seemed to finally show to the world that too much control choked everything off.
    b) NAFTA : Clinton's signature signaled that globalisation wasn't about being on the right or the left; maybe lump this in with the EU since it also challenges the paramters of nationalism after it had such a strong run in the 20th century. But for the latter, maybe the birth of Israel.
    c) WWII : not just for the number of people that died nor the areas it occured in, but what it resulted in. Africa being abandoned and divided up into countries that would be difficult to run; the cold war; the unresolved spilt of korea; the split of Germany; China/Taiwan; etc.
    d) Airline "deregulation" : finally, middle class and lower middle class people can afford to fly so the world truely feels smaller for everyone and human interaction across the world is greatly increased. It's only just now gettin started.

21. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    The Giant Puppet industry would damn near go out of business in Europe if it weren't for complaints about US foreign policy. Things that happen here are important, if for no other reason than we have a whole lot of cash, a whole lot of guns and the seeming inability to stay the hell out of other countries' business.

22. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    (1) Apollo 11
    (2) Re-Creation of Israel in 1948
    (3) Red Sox breaking the Curse
    (4) Pong
    (5) Arena benching Clint Mathis against Germany, costing America its first World Cup

23. zverskiy yobar

zverskiy yobar BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 10, 2002
    5. The Birth of Elvis Presely
    4. Television
    3. The Bomb
    2. Kittyhawk
    1. The First Ford to roll off an assembly line

24. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Silly me. And I've been blaming it on Sports Illustrated placing Mathis on the cover. That or the unholy love-triangle of Torsten Frings, Olli Kahn's glovemaker (making the fingers 2cm longer) and Hugh Dallas. Damn you, Arena... Damn you to hell!

25. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    1) TV
    2) Computer
    3) America won the WWII
    4) America won the Cold War
    5) The Internet