5 a side as a Winter Olympic Sport

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by YankHibee, Mar 12, 2006.

1. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I admit I don't follow the Olympics much, but I was wondering if indoor had ever been considered as a winter sport. Seems like they should if they haven't before.

2. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    why winter olympics? it's not as if it's played on snow or ice.

3. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    To make the winter games interesting, I guess. No real reason, but winter is what I always associated it with because of the time of year we played.

4. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    well, whilst i have no doubt that it would make the winter olympics better (mind you, so would axing the winter olympics), 5-a-side would be horribly out of place amongst all that sliding down an icy track on 4,523 slightly different forms of sledge.

plus the winter olympics is in the middle of the football season, so you can just watch football instead anyway.

5. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

Good points all, though I'd still be intrigued to see what turned up.

6. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Are you talking traditional five a side, or futsal? I think futsal has tried before (to be included in the Olympics), but to no avail. Although I'm a fan of futsal, I think traditional fives would be a better bet.

7. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

Either, I guess. Whichever would get more participation.

8. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I think that one reason it would be interesting is that so many more countries would likely send teams.

9. Sumadinho

Sumadinho New Member

Jan 1, 2006
    The Strangest Places
    Its interesting this topic is brought up; I was talking with some people during these past Olympic games from Torino about the idea of adding futusal to the Winter Games, since its played during the winter months in many countries and it could be played in the same arean as Hockey, just keep swithcing the surface. Anyway the Winter Games could use a few more team sports and Summer games are too crowded anyway, but I guess it has to be a sport played or performed on an ice or snow surface, still it would be a nice addition. If I recall correctly, Hockey is the biggest draw ( my personal favorite event of the Winter games) so it would seem that adding a team sport would increase fan interest to balance out the individaul events.
    One idea, the ladies figure skating is fine, but I suggest replacing faggy 'male' figure-skating with futusal.:p

10. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    The Finns made a game called Snow Soccer.

around 5-a-side played (obviously) in snow. pitch is alot smaller, and penalties are punted from the hand.

this was on futbol mundial.

it could be a winter olympic sport, as long as it's done finnish-style.