49ers' Tony Parrish Thoughts on Soccer

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by mike mcclellan, Sep 18, 2003.

1. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose
    I just read a column on the 49ers website on their defensive back Tony Parrish (Think of Eddie Robinson in a Scarlet and Gold helmet). It's at www.sf49ers.com. He said he grew up playing soccer and still loves it, though he seems to follow the international game. Dreams of attending a World Cup match. Someone ought to tell him that he's missing some great soccer right under his nose....really.

Too bad he went to the dark side, probably would have made one hell of a defender or goalkeeper.

2. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice pick up. Good to see some crossovers giving soccer some good print.

3. Rumbler

Rumbler New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    San Jose
    As a 49er fan, I'd love to see him come out here and kick the first ball before the game.

4. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an Earthquakes fan, I'd like to see that.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I remember that back in 1996, Dana Stubblefield and Bryant Young (both with the 49ers at the time, although Young still is) kicked out the first ball before a game. :)

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

6. Rumbler

Rumbler New Member

Feb 6, 2003
    San Jose
    I believe Roger Craig also kicked the first ball. I think this was after he fumbled the ball against the NY Giants with only seconds left of the game.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp I believe that Roger Craig also kicked out the first ball to a game back then, although it must've been several years after that fumble which occured in the NFC Championship Game in January, 1991... the last time Roger Craig (and Ronnie Lott as well) ever played for the 49ers. :(

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp GO EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

8. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great article. I hope that now we have a professional league, more atheletes will realize they can play soccer for a living. Of course, the top atheletes will always go to where the top money is, and that's not MLS or even European football, compared to the NFL...

9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, how about a Quakes vs Local Celebrity Soccer Match as a fund raiser?

Even better, let's have the next All Star Game against Hollywood Celebrities. We could have the match at the Playboy mansion and the cheerleaders could be...

I love Friday's...