News: 40 man preliminary Roster for the Copa

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Footsatt, Apr 13, 2016.

1. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondo/Zardes over Morris is kind of a btch slap.

#JurgenRaus

bballshawn repped this.
  2. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Payback for Morris choosing the Sounders over Werder Bremen?

ussoccer97531 and John McGuirk repped this.
  3. John McGuirk

John McGuirk Member+

Jun 12, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many goddamn Defendive mids does it take?? Kitchen is a positive addition but will get zero minutes for the entire tournament. Would've liked Morris and wood to get playing time together, but unfortunately will have to settle for the deadly Zardes/Dempsey combo... ooooh scary. Our #10 is Nagbe. The guy who just started with us a year ago, maybe less. Jermaine Jones is an old man. This squad is all fked up. Klinsmann will live and die by the sword of his WC vets, yet again. And we are knocked out, yet again.

Beckerman, Wondo, Zusi, Orozco, Zardes, Jones and Chandler will all be on the plane to Russia. You can take that to the bank.

#klinsiFKINraus

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, Zardes --> Deuce is pretty dangerous

pepinointer repped this.
  5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric Lichaj is a class act!

734542813652779011 is not a valid tweet id

GiallorossiYank and truefan420 repped this.
  6. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disgusting short-term thinking - Wondo, Dempsey, Beckerman and Jones should not be involved. Build for the World Cup finals. Excluding Jordan Morris is a crime.

Excellency repped this.
  7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondo and Beckerman shouldn't have a place but I can understand Dempsey and Jones.

8. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I'm with you on Wondo and Beckerman and Jones, but if you don't bring Clint you aren't going to score.

Mr Martin repped this.
  9. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm ok with any and with picking the best to win with the best players now and introduce youth as needed. However, I'm not sure and am actually skeptical that some of those are even the bet players anymore at this very moment.

Footsatt repped this.
  10. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    While I fully agree with your hashtag, is it a bitch slap at Morris? Based on MLS Wondo and Zardes are playing better. Of course both will disappoint in the tourney (heck, who won't with Klinsi as manager?).

11. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Month? Boy is Eric the optimist.

Suyuntuy, ussoccer97531 and tab5g repped this.
  12. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Wondo has really been practicing his dramatic misses the past couple of San Jose games. Hopefully he can achieve Belgium level catastrophe by the time Copa arrives.

John McGuirk and tab5g repped this.
  13. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree... This tourney is in 2016. You don't play a tourney in 2016 to build for a tourney in 2018. There will be time in the next 2 years to build for the WC roster.

Besides, some of the old players that people don't like are playing really well... the only guy I question is Beckerman ( I am hoping he will be bench depth)

Wondo (33) 7 goals (2 assists)
    Dempsey (33) 2 goals (0 assists) - He hasn't produced yet that much for club this year... but you can not justify leaving him off a roster at this time.
    Jones (34) 3 goals (2 assists)
    Beckerman (34)

There will be time to integrate younger players when needed.

14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondo's in better form and I rate him more than most, but if Morris would be better off the bench. That's not really Wondo's game.

Mr Martin repped this.
  15. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How do we know that is Morris's game... he has what 12 games as a pro. How many times has he come off the bench and succeeded?

16. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    It's pretty stereotypical to say that a speed forward is good option late in games. I think Morris did well against Germany.

17. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    And Green did well against Belgium in 2014.

Surely Morris could have (in some real way) ably filled the "Green role" in the Copa Centennial.

(Note, Wondo didn't do that great of a job in the "Wondo role" in 2014.)

18. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dempsey has to be there. He is still the US's best pure finisher and not too old for a huge event like this, especially with Altidore out. BUT, may not want to play him 3 consecutive 90's though.

Jones' recent MLS form also puts him on the squad in my book, but again, not for 3 consecutive 90s.

Beckerman and Wondo are the questionable ones. Beck's form has slipped some and the important transition at DM really should be well underway already, now half-way between WCs. Cameron should be the starting DM, Kitchen the sub and Bradley the emergency guy (and I still like Williams in this role, but he hasn't played DM for club recently). Wondo probably made the squad due to Altidore's injury (and Johannsson's longer-term injury problems). But with Dempsey, Wood, and Zardes on board, I'd have taken Morris as the 4th striker. (And I would have put Sapong on the 40 as an option.)

This squad isn't as old as some of JK's rosters, but I'd have gone a bit younger still at a couple of spots.

bsky22 repped this.
  19. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hee hee something tells me Klinsi is going to keep on calling up Demspey until he breaks the USMNT goalscoring record from a certain someone else...

.... just kidding, just kidding.... :cool:

20. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    In order for me to agree with this sentiment, I would have to believe that some of the formal WCQs that lay ahead will be used as part of this integration effort.

If the inclusion of some "younger" players is not accomplished through game minutes in qualifiers, and instead is undertaken only in friendlies, there will not likely be more than 15 friendlies between the end of Copa100 and a "send-off series" in late spring 2018 (which would only be for the 23 chosen).

Given the question marks everywhere except CM and CB (where there is adequate proven depth), I would need to know that some calculated risks will be taken during WCQs to give meaningful time to our upper-most up-and-comers (so that the friendlies can be used to evaluate the less elite prospects) in order to feel like there is plenty of time.

21. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually... I think Wondo did do well in the Wondo role in 2014. Everyone says he did bad because of one missed "sitter".

He linked up well... he just had one bad mishit which happens all the time in soccer.

Here is an example of a good play by Wondo. If Dempsey has a slightly softer touch or if he one times into one of the corners then this is a goal.

[​IMG]

22. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    I see your point. But I said Wondo "didn't do that great of a job."

He was involved and contributed, in the minutes he did earn.

A "simple" finish vs Belgium and he would have had a "great" tournament and would have turned himself into a national hero (being being just some MLS star/hero).

I think his boat probably should have sailed by now, here in 2016. That he's being given a roster spot (and some assumed minutes) at the Copa and that a player like Morris (or arguably Finlay, or Sapong or who knows who else) is missing out on that opportunity, might not be the best long or even short term planning for the program, imo.

23. SamsArmySam

SamsArmySam Member+

Apr 13, 2001
    Minneapolis, MN
    Was watching LA-SJ and came away impressed with Zardes -- particularly his heading ability setting up teammates, and his work rate in the final third forcing turnovers.

I am expecting him to be a meaningful contributor to our goalscoring in the Copa America: Hold-up play, flick-ons, clearing space for fellow attackers, assists, and maybe finishing chances directly himself. He adds to our combination attacking play, and he brings more than he gets credit for.

ChrisSSBB and Footsatt repped this.
  24. Attackflapjack

Attackflapjack New Member

May 24, 2016
    West Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zardes does many things well (sometimes), but his first touch is a liability. I think he has potential and all the physical attributes needed to be successful at this level, but he needs to really work on his first touch.

25. GiallorossiYank

GiallorossiYank Member+

Jan 20, 2011
    NJ/Roma/Napoli
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just took lunch dont make me throw up...

orcrist repped this.