4 Expansion Teams?

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by DLite, Aug 28, 2002.

1. USRufnex

USRufnex Red Card

Tulsa Athletic / Sheffield United
    United States
    Jul 15, 2000
    Tulsa, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    ...got in a hurry typing... again...

NASL stats above are per game avg. outdoor attendance figures... the records next to them in parenthesis (win/loss... no ties, just shootouts--yuk!).

2. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Exactly right. Any time the US plays a Latin American team (especially our amigos south of the border) we are constantly outcheered and sometimes even outnumbered. Even though it sucks that this is capable of happening to Sams Army, it's the truth. So an area with a large latino population would be OK for MLS, but horrible for National games. Lets get some real support.

3. irvine

irvine Member

Nov 24, 1998
    S. Portland, ME
    Perfect 16:

Eastern Conference

East Coast Division

Revolution
    Metrostars
    DC United
    Miami/Philadelphia/2nd NY team

Great Lakes Division

Fire
    Crew
    Detroit
    Cleveland/Milwaukee

Western Conference

West Coast Division

Seattle
    Portland
    SJ
    LA

Southwest Division

Kansas City
    Colorado
    Dallas
    Houston/San Antonio/OKC

And I'd do something similar to what the NHL did with regional rivalries: play teams in your division 4 times each (12 games), the other teams in your conference twice (8), one division in the opposing conference twice (8), and the other opposite division once (4). 32 games, good solid season. Or randomize which teams from the other conference you play once and which twice.

Please, nobody start the utopian whining about a single table. We're in America; if we're going to have soccer, we're going to do it the way we do all of our other sports.

4. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

First of all, I like the sound of Central Division better than Great Lakes Division. A minor bother. Secondly, I like having 3 divisions for at least right now. Also, we need 12 teams to start with (16 is going to be a long and hard road.) A team in Arizona wouldn't be bad for the Western division, maybe a switch with Portland. Just my opinion though.

5. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if MLS bought the Sockers and advertised them right way they would get really good attendance for their games. It would be better than just starting from scratch with a team that no one has heard of and expect a great fan base. Even though this isn't the San Diego page, I still wanna post it here :)

6. torquemada

torquemada New Member

Sep 6, 2001
    Tampa Bay, FL, USA
    Re: Re: 4 Expansion Teams?

. . . until Colorado turned off the water.

7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: 4 Expansion Teams?

...and Washington turned off the power...

8. PirateNBama

PirateNBama New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Alabama
    Re: Re: mls teams

Actually, Phoenix kinda does have a stadium with a dome: the BoB, home of the Dbacks. wonder how scheduling could be worked out?

9. AriesFlame

AriesFlame New Member

Nov 28, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Re: mls teams

What's the average temperature in Phoenix? It may be difficult to schedule afternoon games given that summers are terribly hot in the southwest.

10. AriesFlame

AriesFlame New Member

Nov 28, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Re: Re: Re: mls teams

Answer: When pigs sprout wings. Either that or if Jerry Colangelo puts some cash in the team.

11. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Re: Re: Re: mls teams

Yeah, but I don't think MLS would want to play on a baseball diamond. It just wouldn't be suitable for a soccer team to play during baseball season.

Check page 2 of this thread. I already posted the average temps for Phoenix.

12. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Re: Re: Re: 4 Expansion Teams?

Cali doesn't rely totally on Colorado river water. A significant portion of CA's water actually comes from Northern California. Anyway, Colorado would turn the water back on, after they couldn't get any agriculture from CA. ;)

Same as Colorado, they'd starve to death. ;)

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: 4 Expansion Teams?

Sorry, I live just above the Skagit Valley, I don't need the farms in California. :cool:

14. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 4 Expansion Teams?

Nevertheless, I'd be willing to bet that a lot of food from your local supermarket is grown in CA.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 4 Expansion Teams?

A lot of the pre-packaged stuff, probably. Most of the fresh produce is local, except for things like citrus fruits and other plants that can't grow in the area.

OK, we are way, way off-topic now...

16. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 4 Expansion Teams?

Ok, SoCal needs another team now, damnit!!! I nominate San Diego for a team.

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 4 Expansion Teams?

Fixed your post...