Post-match: 4/3 Revs @ DC

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by ngower, Apr 3, 2010.

1. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    What just happened?

2. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

3. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steve Nicol is the best coach in the league

Able to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse....I mean, who are these guys? No big name players and they come up huge. Such a high work rate for all of the Rev players all over the field and very smart defending.

Great saves by Burpo and I really like Sinovic at left back....needless to say , a magical substitution to put in Mansally...he should be the MLS player of the week!!!

Loved Jay Heaps comment about Mansally's second goal...it "sucked the air out of the stadium."

DC is still looking to score their first goal and have picked 6 balls out of their own net already this season

4. O'Dubhghaill Rules!

May 21, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Based on what I saw in the first half (I stopped watching, I'm a great fan), how is this scoreline even remotely possible?

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was not a pretty game to watch by no means but it was a favorable result.
    Mansally comes on in a supersub role and puts the ball in the net twice and wins my MOTM.
    I thought the second half they came out with a little hop in their step. The back four was good but if there was a weak link it was Osei. He was just not steady, had a could mis-queues but luckily they did not cost the Revs. I thought Desi had a pretty solid game, even better in the second half. Tierney, Gibbs and Alston all had pretty solid games. Hopefully Alston does not make the injury list next week.

6. The Perfesser

The Perfesser New Member

May 23, 1999
    AthensGA/NewburyptMA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, big props to Nicol. He really does know how to find players and gets them to buy into his system. In fact, he actually adjusts his system to fit the players he has (e.g. 3-5-2 when we had more talent to 4-4-2 now).

Just think how good we'd be if we actually had more talent!

7. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Goal Of The Week...that's what happened! Very nice to see. Nicol's reaction was the same as mine! I jumped of my couch in disbelief that the Revs scored a top drawer finish to put the match away.

8. Jayfil

Jayfil Member

Feb 24, 2000
    South Burlington, Vermont
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty even game in the second half (Revs started having possession, creating chances, etc), then Kenny Mansally came in and did his famous Lionel Messi impression. As bad as the Revs looked for the first 30 minutes, they looked equally good for the last 30.

9. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boring and ugly dump-and-chase (er...kick-and-chase) soccer somehow mutated into the Revs, judo-esque, flipping the pressure back on DC.

10. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We were better than we were last week (admittedly against a worse team).

But this is not a talentless team - not entirely -- some of it is just this has become an incredibly young team. Schiwalski, Sinovic and Boggs were playing their 2nd game as pros. Alston and Barnes are in their second season as professionals. Mansally and Nyassy are finally able to buy a drink in this country.

We had, what? one actual grown-up on the pitch the last 2 games?

11. Mick7184

Mick7184 New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Franklin, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hard game to react to, great to see Mansally pop in those 2 goals and the Revs get this road win against DC. Hard to see them play exactly like they did against LA for 85 minutes of the 90.

12. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mine too, and for playing like 12 minutes? Amazing! That second strike was definitely Goal of the Week material.

13. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The second Mansally goal was a bit similar to Dempsey's from a couple weeks ago.

14. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I'd just like to congratulate the Revs on defeating the evil, baby-eating satanists of DC United. Tonight, every Red Bulls fan was a Revolution fan for 90+ minutes. Those were two great goals from Mansally and a terrific win.

15. USRevolution2010

USRevolution2010 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Lowell
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    f*ck the pink cows

16. USRevolution2010

USRevolution2010 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Lowell
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and the bad news about the game, from kyle mccarthy's twitter:

"90' 2-0 N.E.: Barnes on, Alston off. Looks like he's limping a bit and chatting with the Revs training staff... "

17. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't get any better than that.

18. ngower

ngower foolish grin

May 24, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    After watching Dempsey's goal again, they do share some surprising similarities. If we ignore the talent level and the exact nature of each goal, they do share similar flight paths, range, power, etc.

19. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An ugly win is still 3 points. It will be interesting to see what this team looks like when the rest of the projected starters get healthy.

That second goal was world class.

20. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mansally looked like he was out to prove something. I think he did, and expect to see him starting next game. Schilawski takes a seat.

Odd to see Nyassi subbed out though. He was having a good two way game.

21. Werdman89

Werdman89 Member+

May 27, 2008
    Boston, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was pleasantly surprised by Nyassi's defense tonight. He played well and maybe he was just running out of gas.

How were the away game viewings tonight?

22. Voodoo United

Voodoo United Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Easton, Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know what Nicol said at the half but what a difference it made.

Mansally definitely MOTM, the second goal was a thing of beauty.

The rookies looked more comfortable out there. Sinovic is really impressing me. Makes me wonder when Barnes is at 100% who they sit, because this kid should be a starter.

I thought Phelan and Niouky had better games tonight but Joseph was missed.

Tierny really impressed me today as well, his crosses may not always be perfect but he was affective and he played smart.

Great win for our boys, great momentum heading into the home opener.

23. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an ugly first half with absolutely no midfield play by the Revs. I'm not sure I can remember a two pass sequence that didn't involve Burpo. However, once again, it was hard to break down us down in the box. I hope Gibbs stays healthy. His composure and positioning are terrific. It's got to help the young guys, especially when Osei is mixing great ball skills with some serious WTF decisions.

I wonder if Nicol gave his "lacked a wee bit of self belief" talk again. Seemed like the Revs were better from the start of the second half. Great goals by Mansally, but full credit to Tierney for his play and cross setting up the first goal. Of the rookies, Sinovic showed well. Schilawski didn't do much up top, though neither did Dube. Niouky was better than last week, but not exactly a force in the middle. Boggs wasn't a factor going forward, but seemed to defend well.

Got to give MOTM to Mansally, but Gibbs, Burpo and Tierney were solid as well.

24. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    I believe each goal was with the player's shooting foot (Dempsey right, Mansally left). Slightly different angle, but I agree overall pretty close. The thing about Dempsey's goal was that his head was down when he shot it. It was like he picked his spot before the turn...side netting inches from post...glorious! Mansally's little extra touch to set up the shot was very pretty.

25. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp