4/19/05 Honda Super Classico Darby Cup

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by mpruitt, Apr 19, 2005.

1. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Alamodome Privatization Proposed - WOAI-TV

I haven't been reading up too much on this whole SA thing but I hand't seen these figures tossed aound yet.

2. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. “We knew that from the beginning, that we better get this right,’’ Anspaugh said. “That was a huge obligation. So far, it has passed the test. No one who has seen it has come to me and said ‘That was wrong.’ ”

Historical movies play against the devil of accuracy, and historical sports movies fight the reality that viewers know how the contest ends before the movie starts. The art is in the telling, and Anspaugh said he believes he and Pizzo told the story well.
    “I just wanted to make the best soccer movie I could make, one that the soccer community in America would be proud of,’’ Anspaugh said. “I think we did it.”

It's great that both Anspaugh and Pizzo actually believe they have succeded and are feeling confident about their final product.

I can't wait to see the movie. I'm dying to see who wins.

4. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    The Hallf of Fame thing is interesting. . . there are election announcements in Denver, DC, and NY, through the respective teams. Only three former players can be chosen. Makes one wonder if the three are Balboa, Harkes, and Ramos. If so, among the players who would not make it: Dooley, Nowak, Valderrama.

5. cdin

cdin Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Waukesha, WI
    Though I have no inside information, something tells me Nowak and Valderrama won't be heart broken to not make it into the US Soccer Hall of Fame. I can see why it would be important for the US Internationals, but I don't know why foreign players playing in the twilight of their career would care.

6. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Salt Lakers complain about $2.50 for bottled water...try the $4 we have to pay at RFK!

7. jgoal5

jgoal5 Member

Apr 4, 2001
    LV-PA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    I believe it was Big Apple Soccer last week that broke the news that the 3 were indeed Ramos, Harkes, and Balboa.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I don't know about complaining per se, but that wasn't really where I was going. You're talking about three other guys who probably all deserve to be there. I find it interesting that US Soccer significantly tightened the qualification criteria just as the number of legit candidates, due to the formation of MLS, was rising. Strikes me there may be a lot of years in the future when three candidates won't suffice.

9. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    From the Detroit Free Press Article

Good to see that "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan is an afficionado of the Beautiful Game!

10. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Jim Rome asked Wynalda if the soccer hall of fame was the size of a closet and then he said whats in it capri sun and orange slices. what an ass.

11. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    Come on if anyone but jim rome said that you would think it was funny. I dont like Jim Rome but that is a good line.

12. BhoysFC1995

BhoysFC1995 New Member

Nov 30, 1999
    NYC
    :D honestly, thats funny regardless of who said it. :D

13. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    ok, I'll bite... When and where did Rome interview Wynalda?

14. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    And if I was in Wynalda's place I would have answered... "No, only steroids".

15. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    "... tobacco spit"

Oh man, why isn't the editing function enabled in this thread???

16. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Yeah, $2.50 ain't bad. I'm trying to remember what the price was in Columbus for the US/Grenada game last year. I'm pretty sure it was at least 2.50, but they could have charged $6.00 and I would have bought it.

17. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
  18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I quote this just because I really want Lawnchair Landon to catch on as a nickname.

19. Michael CM1

Michael CM1 New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Atlanta, Georgia: US
    That's on par with what Turner Field charges for Braves games. I remember water being that expensive downtown in 1996 during the Olympics also. Perhaps some of those people need to visit other places...or do like most smart people and spend 1/3 of that before the game and maybe get something to drink at the game. They wouldn't sell it for that much if people didn't buy it!

20. FCDarkness

FCDarkness New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Steelton, PA
    Ol' Hacksaw's gonna bring soccer to Detroit tough guy! Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! U-S-A! U-S-A!

I hope they let that team bring 2 x 4's on the field.