4/11/10 Independence vs Beat [R]

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Independence' started by phillypride, Apr 11, 2010.

1. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Post your comments about the opener here.

2. PhiUnionIndependence

May 20, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go Independence!!!

3. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite player by far was number 26, Homfridur Magnusdottir. She was a beast up and down the left flank all night long. She megged this one defender repeatedly. She was strong on the ball, had fancy moves, and connected on most of her passes. It looked to me like she was playing left back but was given freedom to attack at will while one or both center mids fell back.

4. wpmast66

wpmast66 New Member

Apr 25, 2009
    Southern NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magnusdottir was definitely the most exciting player on the field for both teams. I think that she will be this year's Camille Abily or Sonya Bompastor - a relatively unknown international player who has a breakout year. The Independence website lists her as a forward, so it is interesting that she was playing left back. I wonder if it is due to the injuries to Faulk and Mitts or Riley is planning on using her as a defender. Regardless of the position she plays, she definitely earned her position in the starting 11.

The game was relatively dull. After last night's Union game, it was a bit of a letdown. That said, it was a solid performance from the keeper and midfield and a great performance from a patchwork defense. I was disappointed by the offense. A-Rod and Patterson seemed to have problems with the physicality of the Atlanta defense.

5. moog

moog Member

Mar 2, 2003
    eastern PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    This game reminded me a lot of the first few games I saw last season--both teams defended well, but had trouble linking up on offense. No big surprise there, they only have a month of pre-season to prepare, and much of that time their international players are absent for national team duty. And a fair amount of the preseason time is used to look at players who may or may not make the team's roster. I think having the expansion sides face each other in the opener was one of the fairest things the league could do, schedule-wise. But you could see glimpses of what is to come--some great runs that went unrewarded, some great passes into space where the run was never made. The thought process is there, the familiarity will come. For both teams.

You might be right about Frida (that's what they call Magnusdottir) being the sleeper pick of the internationals. She's strong, fast, and has a howitzer of a shot. I can see her getting a goal or two from left back this season.

These same two teams meet again in three weeks. It will be interesting to see how that game looks.

6. Blaze20

Blaze20 Moderator
    Staff Member

Seattle Reign FC
    Sep 22, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Pretty much agree with everything here.
    It was a fun game and great atmosphere yesterday and would have been awesome if Arod would have score that last chance at the end, but o well.

7. cmh329

cmh329 New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. I liked what I saw from Magnusdottir in the preseason games and she was the best out there on Sunday. Its a shame the shot she rung off the crossbar wasn't an inch lower.

8. stevo1214

stevo1214 New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    I just watched the highlight of the game, It looked like a good game with a lot of action. I wish they need to at least erase those lines and number on the field, It's difficult to watch and enjoy a 'soccer' game on the football field. I guess only Boston and Philly are playing on the 'American football' field?

9. jdux99

jdux99 New Member

May 22, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    IMO Magnusdottir is the cream of the crop. As soon as she came on, the complexion of the game changed. All of a sudden, the left side of the field became our attacking point. Her "assigned" position is really weird; against UNC, Penn State and Atlanta she lined up as the Left Back but plays much more as an attacking midfielder. Against those 3 teams she was quick enough to get back on coverage. I hope she can do that against stronger teams as well.

A question (unless I missed it); why doesn't she start and play the full game? She came in after the half against UNC, Penn State and Atlanta. Maybe it's a stamina issue, but she needs to be on the field for the full 90 minutes if she's capable. She's the "sparkplug" on the Independence.

One criticism of both teams: neither team spread the field wide enough for my liking (except for Magnusdottir's play). There was very little wide play shown from either team. That's why everything was constantly clogged up in the center of the field, and there were way too many turnovers from both teams in the midfield. Maybe it was just hard to see on an American football field, but it sure looked like both teams played within 40 yards of width and did not exploit the touch lines nearly enough. I kept waiting for one side or the other to stretch the opposing midfielders and defenders with wide balls, but it rarely happened. Sunday's game should show more of our potential strengths and weaknesses and hopefully, will have more Wide play as well.

10. cmh329

cmh329 New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She did start on Sunday as well as the UNC preseason game.

11. SCCL

SCCL Member

Oct 31, 2001
    It may just have appeared that way; its a very narrow field.

12. jdux99

jdux99 New Member

May 22, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Thanks for the correction. I must be watching too much soccer lately - the names, numbers (and apparently genders!) are all starting to blur.:)