3rd Degree Weekly MLS Power Rankings are up

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Kevin Lindstrom, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
  3. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kevin,
    You have to get off that objectivity BS. The Hoops are 9 points ahead of their nearest foe in the Division and 2 points ahead of their nearest opponent in MLS. I grant you the CDC victory, but the win in Colorado should have cemented any notion in your head that the clear choice for number one should be the Hoops...You remind me of Lou Holtz while still at Notre Dame....
    "We have to watch out for Navy they are loaded are fast, strong, and intelligent bunch" and come Saturday The Irish would steam roll over Navy and win by 24.

I can already picture what you will say if FCD dusts NE in a two team race
    "FCD came second to last but NE came in a glorious second"

all in good fun sir.

4. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I write for 3rd Degree, it is my job to be objective. You guys are just going to have to deal.

;)

5. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ... and you will have to deal w/ FDC supporters wrath ! :p

6. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Objective? I think not, you were swayed by the Rev fans that posted comments on last week's rankings. I knew this would happen. Piker.

7. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
  9. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah and now he refers to us as "you guys" !

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    He's been a closet Rev fan for years.....we are finally seeing it now. This also explains his weekly "I know we are going to lose this game" posts.

11. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh huh. You tell me this - after our game on Wednesday, when we scraped by Chivas, how would you have felt about *that* team playing the Rev? You know, the Rev side that won in Columbus, 3-1?

Thought so.

(;))

12. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah - you guys who can't handle the truth!

;)

13. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    You mean the same Rev side that had to rally back to beat the Mutts at home. The ones that are being propped up by a scoreline padded by a fluke goal that should never have happened? That Rev team?

14. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep the same team that has 2 more home dates than FCD and is only able to muster two more points... the same team that lags way behind (4 points) FCD in on the road performance. The only statistic of note in which NE leads over FCD is in goal differential and that is one point !

15. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think strength of schedule comes into play a bit, folks. (Sorry, I know, fact and details, who needs 'em? ;))

16. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Strength of schedule...what is this college football? Are you going to start factoring in Sagarin's poll and "quality wins"? What about polling the media and coaches?? Piker.

17. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FCD nor NE control the schedule. FCD does what FCD needs to do and that is play and win against the competition afforded to them by the league. Kevin you are not going to win....Power Rankings are the figment of your blind objectivity mirred in a minutia of meaningless details... Who wins the most games and accumulates the most points wins.....In your world David will always beat goliath... Never mind the nine other times that Goliath kicked David's arse. :D

18. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stole my thunder while I was typing. You said what I wanted to say and in fewer words....

19. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :D

Please recall - as I was telling Rev fans last week - that these are *weekly* rankings, not a projection for how the team will do come the playoffs.

Right now, after the games last week, when the Rev beat two teams that were better than the teams that Dallas beat, and one of those games was on the road, the Rev get the nod, and there isn't a thing you can do about it. Pikers.

20. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    This Power Ranking stuff is great fun to debate but what is wonderful about our sport is that it will get settled on the field. I think everyone would agree the NE rules the East and FCD is the best in the West so hopefully they will meet in November at PHP and settle it. Oh, and with their full teams (minus Mulrooney of course).

21. txaggie93

txaggie93 New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Just to float a Baby Ruth in the punch bowl...

Sagarin does the same type of number crunching for MLS that he does for college football. Here are this week's numbers.

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/soccer.htm

Engage in lively discussion if you have nothing better to do.

22. ghsdpu

ghsdpu New Member

Dec 21, 2004
    Dorchester, MA
    ...and has played one fewer game.

The Revs have 14 points from 7 road games. (2.00 PPG)

The Hoops have 18 points from 10 road games (1.80 PPG)

Overall Points per Game
    New England: 2.21
    Dallas: 2.20

Road Points per Game
    New England: 2.00
    Dallas: 1.80

Goals per Game
    New England: 2.00
    Dallas: 1.87

Goals Allowed per Game
    New England: 0.92
    Dallas: 0.93

23. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your flawed calculations were per game while my comments refer YTD. We can twist and change numbers all we want.... It's on the pitch boys.

24. jwedding

jwedding Member

Jul 21, 2003
    McKinney
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweet Moses, all I could think of as I scanned that was the old line that there are, "lies, damned lies, and statistics."

See you in the Fall when it matters, revs.

25. Armis36

Armis36 Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Garland, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree that your numbers are mathmatically correct, but the 'numbers' that you have based your argument on (Overall Points per game, Road Points per Game, Goals per Game, etc..) have (for a large portion) not been put up by our 'A' team. They have been aquired with substitutes and rookies. I think FCD deserves a little more credit for it's accomplishments than it is recieving.

I don't know what New England's injury status is, but if FCD's starters had been playing, I think 'your' numbers would be quite different.

Admittedly, I would not want to face NE without Ruiz & EJ, but they should be fit (fingers crossed) when that time does come, and I am confident that we will come away with 3 points. That number I like.

I couldn't help but notice that there was no 'point system' for Club HEART, a quality that cannot be calculated with a point system....nor disregarded.