34 - The other teams thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Achtung, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We are preparing a nice fat contract to double his wages - and that should keep him quiet for another year or two if Barca/Real don't meet our valuation this year. By then Barca will need him for more than just political reasons, and we will be more likely to get what we ask for.

That said I'm fairly certain we will get our 40-50m from a Spanish side this summer. Which ever side gets him will "win" the spotlight battle they seem to care about so much.

Cesc staying with us was never tied to silverware anyway. We could make a comeback and do a league/CL double this year and promise a ton of investment over the summer to keep us in the title race for years to come and he would probably still move back to Spain.

2. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    I see no reason why he is a good player. Starting for the best defense is irrelevant (post hoc ergo propter hoc)

edit: I guess saying he sucks is an exaggeration. I do not think he is very good, decent at best.

3. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well if it is all about wages then he'll be off to Madrid. You'd be fine with that I suppose, that's the way most of your big assets are going.

4. gazza

gazza Member

Dec 15, 2004
    A bit of smash and grab in this one. Fiorentina pretty much controlled the match.

5. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As long as we are getting a fat check, I don't mind one bit. They can take any of our other players too as long as they pay up.

6. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    BTW, no mention that despite no goals being scored in the second half (nor any long breaks from what I remember), there was another 5 minutes of Ferg... errr, Wenger Time in the second half. Can anybody shed light on this? :D

Wow btw, Garth Crooks just absolutely blew his load over Terry on MotD, flat-out awkward to watch. :eek:

7. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Very sensible attitude. When a player wants to leave, the best option is to get the biggest amount for them. People think we're always the one's buying (true for the most part) but we've had a few people wanting a move away too (Robinho, Makelele) and each time we've gladly let them go for a ridiculous sum.

If I were an Arsenal fan, the one player I'd miss the most if he left is van Persie. Cesc is great too, but Ramsey looks the part, whereas no other CF in the squad looks able to produce anything close to van Persie.

8. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Was watching MOTD2 as well. I switched over when the gushing about Terry started. Anyway, Garth is sure that Chelsea will win the league so we might as well just forget about it.

9. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    It was almost like Ricky Gervais had written the "eerrrr, right then Garth" reaction from one of the other two guys though. Bizzarely awkward.

Re. Umar. Even given his age, I wouldn't call the £13mn you got for Makalele as a 'ridiculous sum' given the fortunes of Chelsea & Madrid before and after the transfer. I thought his reason for wantnig to leave was down to wages, maybe I was mistaken?

10. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    We got about 17 million sterling for him, and yes his wage demands were the issue. But as soon as he refused to train with us, I wanted him out asap. Our problem wasn't selling him, it was not getting a defensive midfielder to replace him.

11. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I see what you mean about refusing to train (hadn't known that) but it is quite an ask to suitably replace the standalone best DM in the world.

12. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    We didn't need to get a great DM (although we later should have pushed harder for Vieira, who was more than just a DM), any decent DM would have done. Given our offensive strength at the time, almost any decent and disciplined midfield covering player could have done just enough for us to outscore the opposition.

But we decided to get Beckham to replace him, and got rid of Conceicao, Celades and Campo for good measure, decimating any defensive midfield cover :eek:

But that is all water under the bridge now

13. Futbol_Head

Futbol_Head Member+

Manchester United
    Aug 18, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could have sworn they showed Matt Damon at the Chelsea/Arsenal game today, did anyone else see this?

14. gazza

gazza Member

Dec 15, 2004
    I thought the same thing but figured I must have been seeing things. The announcers didn't say anything and I thought they might go back for another camera shot. Wearing a hoodie or something?

15. Bronaldo

Bronaldo Red Card

Apr 8, 2007
    Canada
    Matt Damon was at the match.

16. jeff070

jeff070 Member+

Dec 31, 2004
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Lebanon
    Marseille impressed today and Ben Arfa. If he plays like this consistantly, he is off to a bigger club and has good potential to become one of the best.

Roma were in 15th position when I was in Rome now they are second, unbelievable achievement, it is all down to Ranieri. Taddei should ride the bench and Menez should start.

This weekend was the first time I was Barcelona on TV for a full 90 minutes and I must say I was impressed with their play. Their defense kept a clean sheet, but seeing how many chances Getafe got, when they face a big club they will definitely concede, although they were playing with 9 men at the end.

Lyon has some potential in the future if they don't let go of their talent. Has anyone seen how good Maxime Gonalons, he has been starting a lot this season and sometimes over Toulalan. Pjanic is also a gem, they have also the young left back by the name of kolodiescziak (sp), so there is some potential there. I think what is killing them is their weak back four with Cris and Boumsong, and Reveilliere.

Robinho debuted for Santos, what a goal! backheeled in the back of the net. Santos will be tough to defeat with Neymar and Robinho.

17. Newtown

Newtown New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agree with this, these are the remaining fixtures:

Arsenal:

Liverpool (H)
    Sunderland (H)
    Stoke (A)
    Burnley (H)
    Hull City (A)
    West Ham (H)
    Birmingham (A)
    Wolves (H)
    Tottenham (A)
    Wigan (A)
    Man City (H)
    Blackburn (A)
    Fulham (H)

Chelsea:

Everton (A)
    Wolves (A)
    Man City (H)
    Portsmouth (A)
    West Ham (H)
    Blackburn (A)
    Aston Villa (H)
    Man United (A)
    Bolton (H)
    Tottenham (A)
    Stoke (H)
    Liverpool (A)
    Wigan (H)

United:

Aston Villa (A)
    Everton (A)
    West Ham (H)
    Wolves (A)
    Fulham (H)
    Liverpool (H)
    Bolton (A)
    Chelsea (H)
    Blackburn (A)
    Man City (A)
    Tottenham (H)
    Sunderland (A)
    Stoke (H)

Quite clear that we have the toughest remaining schedule.

18. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    We're capable of winning all those games. Whether we actually do is another story.

19. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Do not underestimate these games for Arsenal, especially if they come in between or just after European games - possibly even Hull as well if they can get into a little run of form after their last two results. If Arsenal lose to Liverpool and we and/or Chelsea take advantage of it, I am 99% sure Arsenal won't be making up the 10-12 point deficit that it would create.

A win against Liverpool (especially an emphatic win, or a last-minute winner) could send them on a streak though. Wednesday (both our result and theirs) is going to basically decide if they have a chance of keeping in the title race, imo.

20. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    The next two games are huge for us if you ask me. If we come away from Villa Park & Goodison with six points I would figure us to go on and win the next three. 15 from 15 would put us in a position where we would have three games (Liverpool, Bolton, most importantly Chelsea) that could effectively good-as decide the title race (if Arsenal are out of it by then).

If our defense keeps playing to it's best, Rio gets his best form back, and Rooney keeps doing what he is doing (knock on wood), I really fancy our chances.

21. Drae

Drae Member+

Jun 26, 2006
    Australia
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm not entirely sure what he is supposed to do differently. I think hes doing an amazing job. I wonder if he is not naive as many suggest, but pragmatic. I think he is using the correct approach that suits the clubs financial and footballing goals.

Arsenal are currently operating as a small selling club at the moment. From 06/07 to now Arsenal have had a staggering -£34.6M transfer budget. Apart from not being able to sign quality, they are also unable to keep it, due to wage limits.

To compensate, Wenger is signing technically proficient youth and using them in passing / attacking formations. Its very clever, because as we know, the key to performing well in the league is the ability to batter the bottom half of the table. And his current team can do that. Unlike Liverpool, who are set up defensively, and therefore need to spend huge sums of money to have a (slight) improvement in quality in the squad to get mostly the same results.

Of course he is not hitting the level that Barca does, he does not have the quality. He has a poor defense, no bench, and little quality in finishing. His young team can only really do one thing, so he has no plan B when plan A fails. They are streaky, and struggle against physical teams, and are hot and cold against top teams.

But thats fine, because currently, Arsenal are not in to win it (despite what Wenger says, which is purely for the benefit of the players and the fans). They are in it to come fourth. And Wenger is doing a great job to achieve the clubs goals.

The other thing that is brilliant about Wenger's approach is that as these technically proficient youth develop they can be sold for wads of cash. Which as a selling club, fits the bill perfectly.

So to me, what Wenger is doing makes perfect sense. Do well enough to come fourth, or if lucky have a half hearted run at the title or a cup. Develop youth and sell. Rinse and repeat.

What I am not clear about is why Arsenal fans would be so happy about it all. If you want to win, you need to develop or buy and then keep star players. Which is what we spend a lot of time talking about. Arsenal fans talking about being happy about the amount of profit star players are worth speaks volumes about the club and its current objectives.

22. Invincible

Invincible Member+

Mar 28, 2004
    Sanctuary
    It's at times like these when it really sucks to be Manchester United because you know all those teams are going to play like their lives depended on it.

23. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    he could also get some youth in that can handle the rough stuff in a physical game and mix it up or just get a lanky bastard to lump it up to. i highly doubt its that. he seems too one track minded if that makes sense. he is always on about anti football and rough stuff so probably is never going to play that way even though he knows its not the crime he makes it out to be

dont think you can say the transfer budget was negative either. maybe you mean net spending but even still i never bought the idea of them having no money. ok they dont make £30m pound signings but some signings havent quite worked out either like Eduardo or Nasri who came for a decent size fee

i do agree on the attitude though. i dont mind the young players infact i am all for it (especially local talent vs international where possible) but to just be glad to qualify for CL in 4th? as bad as liverpool are and even though a lot of them are delusional they still expect more.

eventually the young team thing has to go and they need to win something. and for the money thing i dont know all the numbers and whatnot (not that anyone does despite what they claim) but i find it hard to believe from the 04 team which had experience they went to only kids all of a sudden because of the stadium? it cant be that expensive and what is the rush to pay it off? couldnt they still have a transfer budget and then just pay off the stadium in smaller amounts? surely the interest rates cant be that bad to jeopardize the club.

24. Henry Hudson

Henry Hudson New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    That idea that Wenger is doing amazing with a really tight budget sounds like a myth to me. Arsenal's spending is far higher than Liverpool's, yet Liverpool have been more successful than them the last five years (despite having Benitez as a manager! And starting with a far worse squad)

25. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    That's not true though - Liverpool have spent more than any other team bar Man City & Chelsea since Benitez took over. The one thing I will say in Wenger's defense is that he does run at a transfer budget of essentially less than nothing, Arsenal have the lowest net spending of any Premiership club over the last 5 years iirc (they have made far, far more money on selling players than they have spent buying them, actually).