34 - The other teams thread [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Achtung, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He is not a winger, stop playing him as one and he will do the business, his main strengths are his creativity.

2. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I wish that could happen but there are similar players who can do that, Banega started coming on his own, Oezil can do that, David Silva even, missed on Ramsey who could do the same.
    If we are looking for more thunder Hamsik obviously, Defour etc etc.

3. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Not sure I agree with you there DS. Not about the streaking against fodder, but about there being two.

I'd be very concerned about the pool game next up for them. Liverpool seem to be hitting a little bit of form finally, and they always get up for the big games (the exact oppositie of Arsenal. They may very well be smelling blood for that 3rd spot.

And then they have a very tough away fixture at stoke on the 27th. Again, no easy task and the type of physical team Arsenal hate. And by then they might be well and truly disallusioned and not up for any kind of fight. Maybe another 2 dropped points.

It's gonna be tough for them.

4. Charleysurf

Charleysurf Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Raw pace can be a potent force though, as Aaron Lennon has shown. And I'm not saying that Walcott would play as well as Nani has lately if he just got more confident. I'm just saying that Nani was not making best use of his attributes due to lack of confidence, and Walcott is in the same position.

5. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    well... with the comments some players - Cesc, Arshavin, Nasri - made before this game, this may very well just crush their young souls. a defeat against liverpoo and all is lost, no matter how streaky they can get against the weaker teams.

but with this way this season has gone... who the hell knows what will happen :)

---

Landon is going to have a break out game... just you watch.

6. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Lennon got an excellent ball control and agility, he can turn the fastest of defenders, so that is tad unfair.

7. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nominating "Can we sign the player named Own Goal?" for the next Other teams Thread

8. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Was imagining Arshavin on our left forward position, Cesc as the advanced playmaker, in 433
    Something like

----------Fletcher---Carrick--------
    ---Nani---------Cesc------Arshavin
    --------------Rooney------------

or two of our players in theirs I would take Rooney and Fletch

---------Fletcher----Song----------

--Arshavin-------Cesc------RVP--
    --------------Rooney-------------

9. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    13 games left, 39 points to play for for them; lots of weak sides in the run-in who struggle once arsenal get the ball rolling.. I think they can comfortably get 9-10 wins from that bunch, with the remaining 3 or 4 games being throw-ups.

I reckon they're still in it because neither ourselves or Chelsea will run through the run-in cleanly and both ours and Chelsea's are harder.

Every time these big games are played, the loser is written off, especially when they're as crap as Arsenal have been the last 2 (or 3 if you wanna count Villa) but we proved last season that it's not the big games that are determinant if you wrap up all those sides you would be hoping for 4-6 pts from.

Arsenal are only crap against sides that can actually fight back and counter them with quality, outside of the top sides, there's really not many who can hang with what Arsenal do, so I'd think there's a huge streak left in them, personally.

10. WinningEleven

WinningEleven Member

Jun 23, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    OGgy OGgy OGgy :D

Idea from The Sun haha.

11. cr7torossi

cr7torossi Member+

May 10, 2007
    Won't touch Arshavin; he is a whiny little player.

The only team(s) willing to play market value (and beyond) for him would be City and maybe RM.

Did anyone else read the reports about Citeh offloading Ireland for that matter?

He is a player I like but a nutcase too far, even for Fergie.

12. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I doubt we go for Arshavin. We are stacked at supporting striker/attacking midfielder.

13. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Like that has stopped you before :p

14. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Arshavin would be sensational for us on the left flank, imo.

Never happen, though.

If we're gonna break the bank any time soon, it'd be well worth taking a shot at Fabregas first and foremost.

He's so disillusioned at the moment and Barca wouldn't guarantee him the PT we would.

15. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agree on both accounts but Arshavin being played as a wingforward in our team with Evra behind him is a good thought for me atleast. Ok put somebody like Luis Suarez there and he is as big a diver as EPL will ever see, English hardly produce that position, you have got a whining/fragile Johnny Foreigner.

Ireland is too fragile, good player, maybe he is a one season wonder, would like to get him if we can get on cheap, but cant see it happening.

There is Eikrem in our ranks who is nearly 20, looks a good player, dont know if he will make it.

16. pgr17

pgr17 Member+

Sep 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    very true... a good thing to remember, especially in the afterglow of this loss.

17. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    That depends. Henry is probably gone after this season so that would leave Pedro and Iniesta for the LWF slot. Barca could play this:

---------Busquets
    ----Xavi----------Cesc
    --Messi----Ibra---Iniesta

18. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    And I get called biased for telling the truth...

Aaron Lennon with experience has become a lot more intellgent. I dont thnk he is somebody who is just raw pace alone anymore.

19. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    lol.. one day, one day, i will re-read what i type before hitting return. :rolleyes:

Y wud i evur speeel lik dat? :eek:
    That would lack dynamism and goals.

Barca's midfield is perfect as is. Far more likely to get themselves a classy LWF or stick with Pedro.

20. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    It would maybe lack goals but that hasn't been a huge issue this season considering Henry has been crap. I do agree with you that getting maybe Ribery would be better but I wouldn't be surprised if Barca tried something like that to fit in Cesc. Ineista has played that LWF role at times for the past 3 seasons.

21. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Barca will snap up Cesc (and hopefully for a ridiculous fee) because it will make a statement in an election year, and they want to keep him away from Real.

Logic doesn't really factor into the transfer decisions of Barca/Real.

22. SyedZada

SyedZada Member+

May 14, 2008
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Agree with that.

23. michael24710

michael24710 Member

Jul 10, 2006
    London
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That would be an immense capture, but even with silly money that would take some balls for a manager to do! Imagine after embarrassing them on several occassions in recent times, selling their best player to their main rivals. The fans would riot!

The other problem is we would go through the whole Ronaldo saga again about 6months after he signed.

24. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Oh, I don't totally disagree with what you said, it's just that Pep is a very smart and shrewd man, and he compartmentalises his team well. I can't see him sacrificing that LWF goal-scoring threat whilst destabilising the most superfluous midfield unit in the world into the bargain.

But.. I could see them moving for both Cesc and a top class LWF at the same time. If it came down to one, however, not sure they'd take Cesc over the LWF.
    But you can make the same statement with any top LWF.

Personally, I could see them buying both, actually.

But, given Cesc's age, our need and the fact he really is the business in the PL, we could well force a bidding war there. The player would want Barca, sure, but would Arsenal take £10 - £15m less that we'd have to pay?

I get the feeling our owners will make their own statement of intent this summer and try and appease the fans with a mega signing.

Can't see a bigger player in that age range who meets our needs and makes said statement than Cesc, tbh.

25. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Tbh, it's usually the highest form of muppetry to suggest purchasing another Big 4 side's star player, but with Arsenal being a selling club at the moment, and many rumours of us negotiating for a player of theirs in the past, plus Cesc being so young and exactly what our midfield needs. I really wouldn't be surprised if we did make the move. I mean, why not? All that can happen is they say no.

Their fans might go ape-shit, but their reality has changed dramatically from what it was 4-5years ago and before the burden of Ashburton Grove.

We're in need.. and they don't turn down money these days.. at the very least, I'd bet they'd seriously consider it.

And also, because Cesc is so young, I don't think we'd be that bothered if he wanted to leave 3yrs or so later because the probability is he'd be worth a lot more than what we paid and would fetch us a handsome profit on top of his performance in the shirt.

Excuse my extreme moment of muppetry, but it doesn't get a chance to emerge very often in Intra-player talk. :D