32?!

Discussion in 'MLS: Expansion' started by EPJr, Nov 28, 2019.

1. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber made some minor news recently by revealing the league will eventually expand to 32 teams after the official announcement of a 30th expansion club before the end of the calendar year.

While Garber indicated there would be no hurry to move beyond 30 teams in his remarks at the Soccerex convention, this appears to be the first time he confirmed 32 teams are coming at all. That should be no particular surprise to longtime MLS observers, who can remember less than a decade ago when the idea of getting to 24 teams still seemed audacious.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianqui...ls-expansion-target---heres-why/#5616bd2bcd97

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  2. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shocked. Shocked I tell you.

From 28 to 32 in less than a year?

32 is a decent stopping point, maybe they pause there. But I think 36 or 40 is more likely.

hipityhop, EPJr and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  3. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the chess notation "?!" in the title. In chess notation. "?!" means it is a questionable move- that in the notator's opinion could turn out bad or good, but more likely bad. The reverse "!?" is similar but likely to turn out good.

Nacional Tijuana repped this.
  4. LouCityFan

LouCityFan Member

Louisville City FC
    United States
    May 25, 2019
    Louisville, KY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team 31 is a slam dunk, and that is Las Vegas. I would expect an announcement by Memorial Day for play in 2023.

Team 32 is less certain, but if Indianapolis, Detroit, Raleigh, Phoenix, or San Diego can connect all the dots, I think we'll see one of them announced next year.

5. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. 31 will be the Las Vegas Lights and 32 will be a toss up between the Phoenix Rising and the San Diego Loyal imo.

6. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SD no longer have any NFL money so for that reason I would put Indy Xi in front of them.

7. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vegas looks like smart money for eventual 31.

hipityhop repped this.
  8. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup
    most pundits were surprised at how well folk in Vegas took to the Lights; I hope they keep the name.
    [​IMG]

TrueCrew repped this.
  9. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    How about 60 teams!!!

10. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2019...the-ever-expanding-mls-increases-to-30-teams/

Actually, Commissioner Garber said that the league might expand someday to 32 teams, but that would be many many years away.

“It might go to 32. We’re not ruling that out,” MLS commissioner Don Garber said after an MLS board of directors meeting in Brooklyn Dec. 5. “We have never said that we’re going to 32 teams. I don’t even think it’s a likelihood. Why would we make any comments about what the future might look like?