32 teams to an All-time Word Cup Finals

Discussion in 'Soccer History' started by Excape Goat, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The number of teams from each confederation is based on the 2010 format, but the host is an opened slot. So I only got 31 teams here.

Europe (UEFA): 13 places
    Africa (CAF): 5 places
    Asia (AFC): 4 or 5 places (vs Oceania)
    South America (CONMEBOL) 4 or 5 places
    North, Central American and Caribbean (CONCACAF): 3 or 4 places
    Oceania (Oceania Football Confederation): 0 or 1 place(vs AFC)

UEFA(13 teams)
    1) Italy
    2) Germany
    3) Hungary
    4) France
    5) Spain
    6) Holland
    7) England
    8) Denmark
    9) Russia/USSR
    10) Czech Republic/Czechoslovakia
    11) Portugal: combination of the teams from 1960's, 1990's and current is enough for me.
    12) Sweden
    13) I could not decide on the last spot. I don't know how to put former Yugoslavian players in relation to the current breakaway republics. If I put one "Yugoslavia" for the former Yugoslavia and all the republics, then, they would be the 13th team on the Finals. My other choices are Scotland or Austria. The place will probably be a team from former Yugoslavia.

CAF
    1) Nigeria
    2) Cameroon
    3) Ghana
    4) Morocco
    5) Egypt

Asia
    1) Japan
    2) Korea
    3) Australia
    4) Saudi Arabia
    5) Iran(playoff)

Oceania
    1) New Zealand(playoff)
    Iran wins over New Zealand.

South America
    1) Brazil
    2) Argentina
    3) Uruguay
    4) Paraguay
    5) I am undecided between Chile, Peru or Colombia.

CONCACAF
    1) Mexico
    2) Costa Rica
    3) USA
    4) Honduras or Canada, but I am leanding on Honduras.

Playoff: South America wins over CONCACAF.

2. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Put in Chile from South America. They have qualified for more World Cups. Despite this, Peru would be a good choice because they had some great players in the 70s like Cubillas, Sotil and Chumpitaz.

Put in the former Yugoslavia. Their players are better than Scotland and Austria's and qualified for more World Cups. Scotland never got out of the group stage despite the likes of Law, Bremner, Souness and Dalglish.

3. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Is this a spelling bee? :p

4. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    take out Uruguay Brazil and Argentina and the best Conmebol World Cup team has probably the 1970 peruvian team, course I could be biased;)

5. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You could make a good case for it. Who could (or want to) make a claim that Chile 62, Colombia 1990, Paraguay 1998 or Ecuador 2006 were better than Peru 70?

6. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Considering current republics (some combinations of nations as successors):

UEFA (13)

- Germany
    - Italy
    - France
    - Netherlands
    - Hungary
    - England
    - Spain
    - Russia & Ukraine (Representing Soviet Union)
    - Serbia & Croatia & Slovenia (Representing Yugoslavia)
    - Sweden
    - Czech Republic & Slovakia (Representing Czechoslovakia)
    - Poland
    - Portugal

CAF (5)

- Cameroon
    - Nigeria
    - Morocco
    - Ghana
    - Algeria

AFC (5)

- South Korea
    - Japan
    - Saudi Arabia
    - Iran
    - Australia

CONMEBOL (5)

- Brazil
    - Argentina
    - Uruguay
    - Peru
    - Paraguay

CONCACAF (3)

- Mexico
    - United States
    - Costa Rica

I would give the extra slot reserved to the host to one of these: Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, Romania, Denmark, Scotland, Chile or Colombia.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    In terms of results, it's Chile in 1962, which finished 3rd. Peru didn't go as far, but they were eliminated by arguably the best world cup team ever in the quarterfinal.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Going with that format, I will make Mexico the host, because the two World Cups held in Mexico were memorable. So, here we go:

HOST: (1)
    Mexico

EUROPE: (13)
    Germany
    Italy
    England
    France
    Spain
    Netherlands
    Sweden
    Russia/USSR
    Poland
    Czech/Czechoslovakia
    Hungary
    Austria
    Serbia/Yugoslavia (I prefer Croatia, but Serbia is the natural heir of Yugoslavia so I'll go with that)

AFRICA (5)
    Cameroon
    Nigeria
    Morocco
    Senegal
    Tunisia

ASIA (5)
    South Korea
    Japan
    Iran
    Saudi Arabia
    Australia (over New Zealand)

SOUTH AMERICA (5)
    Brazil
    Argentina
    Uruguay
    Paraguay
    Chile (over Honduras)

CONCACAF (3)
    USA
    Costa Rica
    Jamaica

OCEANIA (0)

9. braine

braine Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Belgium
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Definitely it has to be former Yugoslavija.Take as basic the WC98 Croatia-team (+ Boksic)
    every generation got very talented players...(Mijatovic,Stojkovic,Savicevic,Gudelj,Petrovic,Dzajic,Mihajlovic etc.)the list is very long....

10. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Both argentine soccer fan and Peru FC took out Denmark and put in Poland. Elkjær, the Laudrup brothers, Simonsen, Schmeichel, Morten Olsen and Lerby are good enough to beat anybody.

Egypt is the most successful African team in African Nations' Cup. So you got to put them there in the top 5.

11. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    You've for Poland players like Deyna, Zmuda, Boniek and Lato, and a more extensive record in World Cup Finals:

Poland: 7 World Cups Finals played, 15 games won, 5 drew and 11 lost (13th in the All-Time Table)
    Denmark: 3 World Cups Finals played, 7 games won, 2 drew and 4 lost (24th in the All-Time Table)

Also I put Denmark as a candidate to the extra slot.

But isn't successful about World Cup Finals, actually, its record is under other nations I didn't consider like Senegal, Tunisia and South Africa.

Egypt: 2 World Cups Finals played, 0 games won, 2 drew and 2 lost (60th in the All-Time Table)

12. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    in terms of result Chile 62 for sure then again they where at home and that does help

but like you said, once they ran into Brazil in 1970 that was pretty much going to be it for them

its more the style of play the displayed than the actual results that I rate them higher than other conmebol teams

course im no expert on how the Chile 62 team played, I also rate the Paraguay 98 team highly, impressive defence

13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    My understanding is that Chile's team in 62 was very physical and that World Cup had some controversial decisions go in their favor. (Which has been par for the course when it comes to home teams at the World Cup).

I'd take Peru 70 ahead of Chile 62. Nevertheless, I think overall Chile has more of a history at the World Cup and considering that third place finish in 62 not in a vacuum but in addition to the facts they they attended more World Cups and had more overall success throughout the years, I picked them over Peru.

14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I was looking primarily at the countries history at the World Cup itself over the years.

Poland has much a much stronger WC history than Denmark, including a third place finish at the very strong 74 World Cup, where they finished with a 6-0-1 record and their only loss was to Beckenbauer's Germany by a 1-0 score in the middle of a powerful storm. They beat Italy, Argentina, Brazil, Sweden and Yugoslavia at that World Cup, and they scored 16 goals while allowing 5.

Egypt has participated in one World Cup and they have yet to win their first match. By contrast, Senegal, which I picked, was a quarterfinalist in 2002 and while that was their only participation, it matches the best African finish, plus they are today the only African nation with an overall winning record at the World Cup.

15. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Europe (UEFA): 13 places
    Africa (CAF): 5 places
    Asia (AFC): 4 or 5 places (vs Oceania)
    South America (CONMEBOL) 4 or 5 places
    North, Central American and Caribbean (CONCACAF): 3 or 4 places
    Oceania (Oceania Football Confederation): 0 or 1 place(vs AFC)

UEFA:
    Germany
    Italy
    England
    Holland
    France
    Spain
    Portugal
    Russia/UdSSR
    Croatia/Serbia/Yugoslavia
    Czech/CSSR
    Hungary

Last two spots are too close to call:
    Either
    Austria/Denmark/Sweden/Poland

HM: Belgium

CONMEBOL
    Brazil
    Argentinia
    Uruguay
    Peru
    Chile over Paraguay, but it's close

CAF
    Cameroon
    Nigeria
    Ghana
    Morocco (like Tunisia 4 times qualified, but reached the 2nd round once)
    Egypt (due to Africa Cup records)

Cote d'Ivoire has a good shot on overpassing both Morocco and Egypt after the WC10.
    Senegal was a one-hit wonder.

AFC
    Japan
    Korea
    Saudi Arabia
    Australia
    Iran

CONCACAF
    Mexico
    USA
    Costa Rica

Host
    One of the UEFA leftouts:
    Poland/Austria/Sweden/Denmark

16. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    As far as the European places go if there was a Qualifying phase as we have now then I'd say the following 9 might be seeded and most likely progress to the Finals:
    England
    Italy
    Germany
    Holland
    France
    Spain
    Hungary
    Sweden
    Portugal
    Using the Play-off system and with the decision to play in a neutral country for such a one-off event (which is imaginary anyway) we could have 14 European teams with the best 2nd place team qualifying (say Denmark who with their available players could even top a group if they were in with Sweden or Portugal but might not be seeded if based on WC history) and the following Play-offs for example (although would be drawn randomly and ideally not seeded):
    Scotland v Soviet Union
    Poland v Austria
    Belgium v Yugoslavia
    Czechoslovakia v Romania.
    The host nation (unqualified in this case and unlikely to win in any case) could be Switzerland with super stadiums funded by quantitative easing or perhaps the USA in springtime so as not to disadvantage the Europeans with heat exhaustion.
    I would say Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Peru and Colombia or Chile would be the favourites to make it from South America and Brazil favourites (although not nailed on considering certain other countries squads) to win the Cup.

17. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Egypt played in two world cups. Coincidentially both were in Italy (1934 and 1990) and in both they went out in the 1st round.

18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was looking at the best XI rather than results. Of course, I did not come up the bext XI for every team(any team). I even considered players who never played in a WC Finals. Ghana, I felt, had Abedi Pele, Yeboah, Kuffour and Essien on their Bext ever XI.

Egypt, I knew next to nothing in the terms of best ever XI, did well in 1990, considering that they were in the group of death.

19. andykeikei

andykeikei New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree with your opinions of all time best.
    There is no doubt Denmark's players like Laudrup brothers, Schmeichel, Morten Olsen, Jesper Olsen were more decorated than Poland's players. However, I think for some reason Eastern Europe players always got underrated. For example I only knew few Soviet players, but they were indeed one of the best European side to play football.

In my opinion, Poland's players also got the same treatment. When I looked at their record, they were simply brilliant throughout the 70s: 1 Gold medal and 1 silver medal in Olympic football; 3rd and 5th place for 1974 and 1978 World Cup; another 3rd place finish for 1982 World Cup...It's possible to do well in one tournament based on luck and the right tactics, but to consistently get great results throughout the decade, Poland must have some really good players and good chemistry.

Thus, I think they definitely deserve to go in before Denmark. Denmark had a great (though erratic) side in 86, a not-so-great side that get the job done in 1992, but that's about it.

In same theory, I would put Peru above Chile, Paraguay and Colombia as the 4th South America team to go in simply because I don't think any of them have a squad as talent as the 70s Peru. Furthermore, Peru had some excellent players during the 30s and 50s, I doubt the other South Americans besides the big 3 can match Peru on talent level.

20. braine

braine Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Belgium
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's hard to say who's the best team,Poland or Denmark,coz its only imaginary and hard to compare.. Both should have great all-time XI-teams thats for sure.
    Note ;Poland managed to get 3th in WC74 without their starplayer Wlodek Lubanski who's got seriously injured in the WCQ-match against England,who they beat anyway in 2 home and away classic matches.
    Sojet-Union had a great side in WC86 and should have a great XI-team too.
    At the website www.planetworldcup.com they have already an imaginary worldcupformat with 32 teams. It calls The all-time World Cup and the teams + playerselection were done by the Dutch sportjournalist Ruud Doevendans.

21. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    one thing to consider is that while they did attend more world cups 7 to chile to the 4 by Peru

they only got out of their group twice same as Peru in 1962 and 1998

since they won the 3rd and 4th play off in 62 they have gone 13 games without winning a single game, 4 world cups have gone without a win

having said that since Peru beat Iran in 78 we have gone 6 games without a win, course we havnt been to a wc since 82

so in summary its a personal choice thing I guess:D

22. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid

The Soviet ruled European Championship until the Germans came of age. they just did not do well in Finals. Everybody seemed to like the idea of
    a USSR/Russia/Ukraine team.

Yashin, Belanov, Blokin, Netto, Voronin and Shevchenko would be a darkhorse for this Finals.

23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    There is also a book by David Brooks called the All-Time World Cup that is actually reviewed on the Planetworldcup website now too. He does a match report on each game, a few reviews of real games and his idea (after researching football history around the world - but still open to plenty of debate) of the top 100 players ever as at 2002 and the best all-time 11 and reserve side too. I did notice a few months back another interesting website with a similar format to the planetworld cup All-time tournament but I think it's not available now. Interestingly while there were similarities in team selections and results all 3 had significant differences too. I suppose you could make a draw Excape Goat then members could be assigned teams to manage and the results could be decided by polls but it sounds a little complicated perhaps. Alternatively there could be team selection threads with a couple of members assigned to discuss line-ups and tactics for each game? The lesser nations out of the 32 might be tricky to assess unless there are experts on for example South Korea and Ghana available.
    Purely on the first 11 this is how I see the Denmark-Poland comparison if they both played 4-3-3:
    Denmark Poland Advantage
    Schmiechel Tomaszewki Denmark

Sivebaek Symonowski Denmark
    Kjeldbjerg Zmuda Poland?
    M Olsen Gorgon Denmark?
    Heintze Musial Denmark

Jorgensen Kasperczak Poland
    Lerby Deyna Poland
    M Laudrup Boniek Denmark

B Laudrup Lato Denmark
    Elkjaer Lubanski Denmark
    Simonsen Gadocha Denmark

So I think Denmark have more quality overall (and I would think in reserve a slight edge too) but I know some people might query B Laudrup over Lato, Elkjaer over Lubanski etc. Denmark were a fantastic side in the 80's (the 5-1 loss to Spain ruined things but they had become one of the favourites for the World Cup after beating eventual finalists West Germany, Scotland and Uruguay with a 6-1 result in the group stages in 1986) and if you select Michael Laudrup a la his Barcelona days and add his brother in his Rangers form and Simonsen from the late 70's that improves things further, plus Schmeichel in goal is a huge bonus. Poland did very well in 74 especially though and in a one-off game who knows?

24. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They achieved a third place finish but they were at home. Not only that, I wouldn't rate Leonel Sanchez as highly as Teofilo Cubillas or Hector Chumpitaz. The fact that Peru lost to Brazil and played in West Germany's group in 1970 showed that the Pervians had a tougher task than the Chileans in 1962.

It's true that Chile has qualified for more World Cups than Peru but aside from that time when they hosted, they never really had a tornament that sticks in the memory. Chile 98 only appealed to me because of Zamorano and Salas but they didn't win a game and Zamorano didn't do much.

It would be more appropriate to put in Chile on their qualifying record but what they did, wasn't particularly impressive on most occasions and I don't think a Chilean All-Time XI would be as good as a Pervian one. To me, putting Chile in would be like placing Scotland in it but not as bad.

IMO, the Peru and Chile comparison differs to the Denmark and Poland comparision but other posters may think I'm being contradicting. Both the Poles and Danes made great impressions at the World Cups they qualified for and sent-out great teams. I'd pick Poland even though Denmark would have more depth. They qualified seven times like Chile did but they finished third in two World Cups and didn't host the World Cup.

25. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Chile in '62 also had West Germany in their group and lost to Brazil in the semi final! ;)