#3 in CONCACAF?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Jay510, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This Gold Cup has seen some decent action around the region, and less so from teams like Mexico and Costa Rica. Personally, i never thought T&T was a true #4 team in CONCACAF, but CR was the no doubt #3 for a long time....that seems to be changing. Whos up next for 2010 as #3? Canada, Guatemala, Honduras?

Personally i think its Canada. They have young talent, a good coach and its already paying dividends. If they keep this up i think they can definately qualify with a weak region around.

Guatemala or Honduras....i think Honduras steps in as a decent choice too....Guatemala is much to defensive, and lacks any offensive flair except for Ruiz, who cant do it alone. Honduras is scratching the surface of some solid young players who may get the #3 or #4 in 2009 with a shot at the cup.

CR looks lost without Wanchope and co. I wonder how they will respond next year in qualifying

Thoughts?

2. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Having Toronto FC is a big boost to the Canadian national team. A lot more Canadians will have the opportunity to face American and Central American counterparts on the club level by playing in MLS.

3. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    I'll wait for the qualifiers to prove you doubters wrong again :)

4. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well given T&Ts non-performance in the GC and their complete disarray off the field, it looks like waiting is your only option at the moment.

I will however reserve judgment until after the GC. The knockout rounds should separate the wheat from the chaff in a now congested 2nd tier...

5. Trin

Trin Member

Sep 6, 2005
    pa
    ouch.. ever heard of not kicking a man when hes down tom

6. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    hey buddy, Costa Rica is still alive, and so is mexico, wait a few days for this... everything could change when the knock out round begings

7. Titan 7

Titan 7 Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Tres Rios, CR
    The problem is not Wanchope out, we have 3 important midfielders injured (Alonso Solis, Bryan Ruiz, Carlos Hernandez) and 1 left the Gold Cup because his brother died (Cristian Bolaños). We're not a superpower nor anyone in Concacaf, so loosing 4 guys in the middle is a big issue.

Check out our record in youth world cups, clubs, and national teams, and it speaks for itself. If we are not going to #3 (oh wait, we we were #1 Concacaf in the 2001 WCQ), it has to be proved during the upcoming years.

You can't also discharge Mexico who's own league is years light ahead of everyone else in this region. The problem with the is that Hugo Sanchez was the worst coach they could get.

8. pura_vida362

pura_vida362 Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Mississauga, Canada
    Exactly. All it takes is 1 bad tournament like this for people to jump out and say "Costa Rica isn't #3 anymore" and "Mexico is losing it". Let's see what happens during the qualifiers which is a more accurate measuring stick as to who is where in Concacaf compared to 1 tournament.

9. Titan 7

Titan 7 Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Tres Rios, CR
    Yeah, what would happen if the US suddenly has a bad Gold Cup, then they would not be #2 or #1?

10. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think we know that Costa Rica will be there when the Hex goes to action in 2009...playing in Costa Rica is so difficult, i cant imagine them not being there....but thinking objectively....T&T has some decent young talent, but with their senior players always walking off, who knows what T&T will show come the qualifiers...Honduras and Canada have impressed me (save for Canada performance against Guadeloupe), and I think Costa Rica has a good shot at falling down in the Hex to 4 or 5.

11. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Using the Gold Cup group stage as an argument to say who will do better than who in World Cup Qualifiers is crazy. Using that logic, Mexico shouldn't be expected to finish in the top 2 anymore since they struggled with Cuba and lost to Honduras.
    I agree Costa Rica has looked horrible in all three games. But still, it's all just results from a short tournament. WCQ is a long and grueling process, and depth and consistency are more important than fluke good/bad results.

12. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Playing in Costa Rica is so easy for Honduras. We haven't lost there since the 1960s.

13. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Anyone know when is the draw for WCQ?

14. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    the funny thing is that we always eliminate honduras somehow :D

15. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that Costa Rica is in transition mode, somewhat. A lot of the old guard (Centeno, Wanchope, Gomez, et cetera) are starting to move on past their prime (though Centeno has been stellar in this tournament). Conversely, I think a lot of Canada's core players are in their prime, when you look at De Rosario, Julian DeGuzman, Atiba Hutchinson, Patrice Bernier and with Paul Stalteri playing at a high level. All Canada really needs to do is find a consistent forward up front, shore up their depth in defense, and find a viable replacement at goalkeeper for Pat Onstad (Greg Sutton doesn't cut it IMO).

So, I think Canada is an up and coming team in this confederation, and I see them challenging the balance of power as Costa Rica struggles with their transition period for the next 2 or so years. Costa Rica will get it together probably by the hex stage, but I think it will be a struggle for them until then.

Panama is also a team that has been up and coming since the 2005 Gold Cup, and Honduras has always been one of the most talented teams in Central America.

If I had to take a stab at how the hex might turn out (based on player pools and performances in the Gold Cup), here'd by my guess:

1) USA
    2) Mexico
    3) Canada
    4) Costa Rica
    5) Panama
    6) Honduras

7) Trinidad & Tobago
    8) Guatemala
    9) Jamaica

16. Titan 7

Titan 7 Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Tres Rios, CR
    Nothing better than time to show the real truth!

17. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Jonathan Bolaños died? the one that plays for Rochester Rhinos? or another brother..

18. pura_vida362

pura_vida362 Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Mississauga, Canada
    Nope. A different Bolaños. Are they related anyway? I'm a Bolaños too. No idea if we're at all related though.

19. Titan 7

Titan 7 Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Tres Rios, CR
    No, it was Jose Pablo Bolaños, 25 years old.

20. Goofy

Goofy Member

Jun 10, 2005
    support for oneself.
    Methinks #3 is an ever-choking and typically underachieving Honduras.
    A good team, with an unstable mentality. Beats Mexico, loses to Panama.

21. Toronto Papi

Toronto Papi New Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I think that the third spot is far more contested than ever before. As it stand and based on recent history, Costa Rica maintains that position.

What will happen in the near future?

I think third is a battle between:

Honduras, Costa Rica, Canada, Guatemala, Panama

and to a lesser extent:

T&T (not really sure about this team, i want to see them at full strength), JAM (poor results lately), Haiti (never seems to get anything together, although potential is there).

22. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I think there are three teams that have shown themselves to be the elite of CONCACAF based on qualification etc. Mexico, US and Costa Rica.

IMHO after that Honduras and Canada are going to be very tough this cycle.

Unfortunately my guess is that one of those two (or even the US, Mexico or Costa Rica) gets knocked out because of Warneresque groups and refereeing in qualifying.

Are Jamaica dead? What is there outlook for the future?

TnT obviously can't be evaluated based on the "scrubs" playing in the Gold Cup.

23. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    Jamaica fielded a All Domestic side and it backed Fire in the CFU CUP/LEAGUE !hence them being eliminated by St Vincent and grenadines and not being in the GC

24. midknight

midknight New Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    actually, it was a qualifier for the caribbean cup. And that's just too bad for them. In the same way that us trinis can go on and on about what we may have done with our 'real' squad, the reggae boyz can ruue the decision to take svg lightly. The fact of the matter is we'll nevr know what could have happened.

This is how is see it:

Costa Rica : Still Number 3 on pedigree and track record, and can continue to be number 3 according to the results of the QF.

Honduras : Number 3 on pure talent, but just have never realised it yet

Guatemala : Could've become number 3 if they had made it tot he world cup. Seem to be regressing under Bollilo when it comes to pure guts, which they have been lacking for a while now

TNT : Nominal number 4 after the Hex in 2005, and a decent WC, the GC was the chance to confirm. However as things go in TNT, everytime things look promising, the federation/JackWarner takes it on to itself/himself to destroy everything that's been built on in the recent past. Right now, we're just happy to figure out which is our definitive number 1 team before we even begin to think about our rank in the region.

Panama : A strong finish to the Gold Cup could make them serious contenders for consideration, assuming they make the hex again.

Canada : Number 3 in their own minds

JCA : Need to get some competetive football under their belt...

Haiti : still need time and international aid to be able to mix it up with the big boys

25. drerodz

drerodz Member

Jan 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I would say

1) USA
    2) Mexico
    3) Honduras
    4) Panama
    5) Guatemala
    6) Costa Rica
    7) Jamaica
    8) T&T
    9) Cuba

Honestly 7,8, and 9 could go either way.