2nd game: USA VS. Argentina (r)

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by jpg75, Jun 22, 2007.

1. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

A new era is arising in Columbus. Guille will turn Gaven and the others into real players and lead them to the title.

2. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    this is a good point

3. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nguyen didn't play as others have mentioned, I don't really understand why. Hiddink signed him to a deal a short time after seeing him play in the U-20 World Cup if memory serves, and I believe was the High School Player of the Year for 2004 I think or 2005, can't remember which. He's pretty special, really composed on the ball, lots of pace, lots of skill. He's one of those guys who clearly is a part of that Donovan going forward generation which mixes actual skill, with athleticism and fitness. I don't know how he'll show because he missed I think just about all of '06-'07 due to an early injury for PSV.

I am hoping he sees serious minutes in the next two games, and it's absolutely inexplicable that if you're trying to insert some offense (as Bradley said), you go with a guy who hasn't been cutting it in years and years, instead of a guy who may very well be a star in the making, showed very well at the U-20's, has a promising start with PSV, and in just a few minutes against China four weeks ago, looked more composed on the ball than anyone other than maybe Feilhaber in the close confines of Spartan Stadium (ridiculously narrow field).

4. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    and that shows the US team does have depth. I think it's a pretty solid group of young players. Going to be formidable when next WC comes around.

5. graywolfe81

graywolfe81 Member

Jul 2, 2002
    North Lake Tahoe, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt, someone posted that it was expected to be around 100 degrees yesterday. Bad enough we sent a junior/c team, even worse a team that hadn't really practiced together, but then to play in that heat? Uggh. Must have been unbearable. How hot does it get there around the 1-2pm hour?

6. HINCHADERIVER91

HINCHADERIVER91 New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    it was usa's b and a hallf team..
    they dont have a big selection of players.
    they did what they could.
    props.

7. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not drag this too off topic, but I just wanted to comment on quickly on Guille.

Speaking as a Crew fan since league inception, Guille is, without a doubt, the craftiest, cunningest, and most naturally gifted player I have ever seen wear a Crew uniform. He is a joy to watch and he makes people around him play better soccer.

Thank you, Argentina, for this wonderful gift. I can only pray that Columbus does not squander it's brief time with him.

8. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I wanted to see Samuel and Saviola here as well

9. BigSoccer Bot

BigSoccer Bot I am not real.

Feb 25, 2005