2nd game: USA VS. Argentina (r)

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by jpg75, Jun 22, 2007.

1. apollo_1444

apollo_1444 Red Card

Apr 11, 2007
    mexico
    cuz we are cursed with a deffensive team that doesn't do anything the whole game, plus there were some difficulties with some players at that point who didn't like the couch.

2. apollo_1444

apollo_1444 Red Card

Apr 11, 2007
    mexico
    that doesn't take that fact that we loss I admit it but get real OMG paraguay is a great rival and its far more superiour that you guys.

3. badgoalie85

badgoalie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Fairfax, VA USA
    i didn't say they weren't a good team, and i'm sure they're better than the squad we sent to copa...but before you talk about how bad the US is try to remember what happened 5 days ago

4. badgoalie85

badgoalie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Fairfax, VA USA
    a.k.a. we're better than you

5. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please don't feed the troll

6. Lono

Lono Member

Jul 1, 2000
    Campinas, SP - Brasil
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Cuba
    Thanks for that reply and I will send you a PM to discuss this a bit further and not clog this thread, but I will mention something here that I will bring up there so others can see where I was coming from:

I agree that there is plenty of anti-USMNT sentiment here, but it is not without reason. Posts that "make fun" of them are harshly criticized, but none of the "un-realistic" comments made about the team are rebuked. If I post "The US will be three and out" I will get flamed, negative rep, etc. If I post "The US will make it to the quarter finals and challenge for the tourney", well then, all is fine. No mod will turn up saying "Dude, get your head screwed on straight, that is un-realistic". If I say "Donavan is among the worlds best strikers" I get plenty of pats on the back, if I say "Donavan should have gone into Olympic diving competitions" or "He needs to stop whining and complaining about playing far from home" I will be warned. If I say the "MLS ranks below the Turkish league" I am a troll, if I say "The MLS is no worse the second division of most countries" I get "Very true, very true". And lets face it, its just not the case.

So when someone posts they would be surprised at the result last night, someone needs to say "Hey man, root root root for the home team and be true to your school, but be a little realistic". Yes, the game is played on the field and it goes for 90 minutes, but with the squad Argentina has, they'd have done the same, or worse to most any team on the planet.

7. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TBC via PM, but we definitely agree on the last point...

That Argentina squad was A-grade badass.

8. badgoalie85

badgoalie85 New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    Fairfax, VA USA
    they sure were...tevez came in and scored like it was nothing. every player on that argentina squad played with class and honestly i don't see them losing in this tournament (btw i don't think it was offside...i did at first but after i watched the replay he just timed his run perfectly and the ball was played to him perfectly...beautiful goal)

9. HINCHADERIVER91

HINCHADERIVER91 New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    well said..

10. HINCHADERIVER91

HINCHADERIVER91 New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    LOS ANGELES
    um...the US play like chickens...
    "LETS ALL PLAY IN THE BACK!!!"
    so it makes it hard for everyone else..n make the game boring.
    argentina was the game since the US didnt do squat with the ball.

11. soybostero

soybostero Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Miami
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It's a bit frustrating as a fan of Argentina to anticipate an exciting soccer game, when honestly it wasn't for much of the first half.

The U.S. went into the game to NOT lose. In the history of sports, a team that plays to NOT lose generally loses. They played back and defensive, quite boring. In turn it cost Argentina a lot to get a clean shot on goal.

In the end, the goals came and I was pleased with the result. I understand the US didn't have much options, either sit back and defend and try to salvage a 1 - 1 tie OR continue to attack leave vulnerabilities in the defense and mid and make it easier for Argentina to score.

I'm just thinking out loud. It's frustrating to have teams play defensive games with 8 players in the box. Ugh how boring.

Oh well, Argentina won, I'm happy.

The next game should look like this:

----------- TEVEZ ------- CRESPO

------AIMAR ----- RIQUELME ----- MESSI

-------------- MASCHERANO

-----ZANETTI----AYALA----MILITO----HEINZE

------------------PATO

12. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas

My thoughts exactly. With Olsen out there, Wynne didn't get exposed as much. Once Gaven came on, our right side was torn apart by Messi.

Oh well, I had hoped for better, but can't say that I'm shocked. Argentina was just too much class for the youngsters. But, hopefully, some will be better for the experience.

13. maestri09

maestri09 Member+

Jun 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Alianza Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    The US is playing with a relatively new team. Forming an efficient attack is much harder than defending with 8 men in the box. So, I can't blame them for using that strategy. Against Paraguay or Colombia, the US defensive strategy would have looked much better, but against Argentina it was always going to be difficult. In fact, as they play more minutes, the US is going to get better as a team. If Colombia doesn't step it up, the US might give them a surprise going into the third game.

Also, I used to hate the US a lot back in the 90's, mostly because of Alexi Lalas and his big mouth and "carrot top" look. He was waay too pompous for a team that had only just started to develop. But in the past 5-7 years, the US has gotten a lot better and could give a good game against any team. I don't think they are at a level alongside the best teams in Europe, but somewhere in the mid-pack (between 15th and 45th in the world) where the level is pretty even among countries.

14. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Well said, no one thought we'd have any chance to win last night. I mean your playing a Barcelona star (Messi) against a guy who isn't even a starter in MLS (Gaven), what do you expect to happen?

But still we were able to learn a lot about a coupel fo our players. I expect the next game to be played with even more younger players on teh ptich like Davies and Nguyen

15. TheTeam

TheTeam New Member

Jun 18, 2007
    1st of all the USA "A" team is a top 20 team in the world. Ask Mexico.
    Regarding the defensive strategy...The only way to create possession is to at a minimum hold your own in the midfield. The USA "B" unit was way overmatched in the midfield. They gave the ball away too easilly(when they had gained possession) & played scared throughout the match. Mapp/Olsen/Benny & the jets etc...not happening. Bradley, Mastreoni, Beasely, Donovan, Dempsey would have fared better. Also if you are playing a counterattack game...You must have speed up front...Eddie Johnson did well(most of the time/earning a PK etc.) but Twellman was a waste. Counterattack futball must have players with wings at the front.

Comments from Argentine fans.."We didn't even give 100%/didn't have to"...PLEASE...The truth is the Light Blue players were rusty, the heat seemed oppressive(slowed the game down)..etc. etc. Argentina will probally win the Tourney & play better but save the "we don't even have to try against the USA" crap.

16. Me_XMan

Me_XMan New Member

May 6, 2007
    USA didn't put too much emphasis on this tournament.
    Bringing that sort of talent there and got slaughtered.

Someone should tell Ray on GolTV to pipe down a bit.
    The guy just going nuts for USA after the first-half.

Fox Soccer says "Class in session" is about right.

17. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I watched the replay on FSE... Man, Bruno's commentating make the game so much better....

About the game, class dismissed about sums it up... I expected a 3-0 rump, got a 4-1 rump... about the same thing... Colombia and Paraguay are no where near as talented as Argentina... So maybe, just maybe, this USA team has a chance in the tournament.... I would sit Eddie Johnson though... Guy just looks like he doesn't want to bother sometimes... Even on the PK...

18. benitoelwerito

Nov 10, 2004
    Toluca
    Club:
    Club Deportivo FAS
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I totally agree about Ed J. I don't know why he's still being given any chances. I always scream WTF!! everytime I see him as a starter or even a sub. I can't wait for the next game against Paraguay. I'm sure it'll be a close match and not a 5-0 romp, jaja, sorry Colombia. They'll have to somehow shut-down Roque Santa Cruz, cus the man's on fire.

19. parismatch

parismatch Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Mexico City
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    And don't forget about Cabañas, he also played a great game against Colombia. That said, I don't think Paraguay is as good as the 5-0 result would make us think. I believe that playing with a little more confidence and creativity the US can have a good chance to win its second match.

20. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    First 26 odd passes against S&M in WC 2006 and then 22 odd passes against USA.

We have to hold ourselves down and give these smaller teams a chance:cool:

21. Burn Fan

Burn Fan New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    DFW
    attitudes like that are why S. Americans always want Argentina to do poorly. You guys are so friggin aragent...Boring. I thought in the first half US attacked and didnt play boring bunker style futbol.Secons half was worse because your "A" team finally wore down our "C" team. Boring?? You are so frigin full of yourselves..Been a long time since argentina won ANYTHING important...Chill aa little. Diego is fat and retired long ago...

22. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF

I like how you lay the C team definition for the US side first, so when they screwed up and lost to someone sh*tty you could just come back and say hey, i told you they were crap.

23. Burn Fan

Burn Fan New Member

Nov 4, 2005
    DFW
    No,,, I am not an arrogent arse like alot of guys here..I have a realistict attitude of where we are.....

24. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    So if you think another team plays boring that makes you arrogant?

Right :rolleyes:.

The US had maybe 2 other chances at goal the whole game besides the PK. And most of them were FK's that they screwed up. They weren't exactly putting on a world class performance. That's just my opinion. It doesn't mean I'm arrogant. :rolleyes:

25. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    there's a fine difference between arrogance and confidence. then there's also a difference between underrating and being humble.