2nd dp?

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by gblfxt, Oct 19, 2009.

1. wheezl

wheezl Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Livorno, Italy
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't get all bitchy. Just having some fun. Besides ******** Lothar Matthus, Denilson, and Gallardo. I'll take more Schelotto, Ljungberg, Angel, and Beckham. If anything your boy Baré in Dubai (at 27) sounds like another Denilson.

Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't DP's intended to address two issues. One being playing quality and the other being attendance. Doesn't MLS have to approve the DP?

If we got Freddy last year we can get RVN, or some aging quality next year. Hell wheel out 36 year old Pippo Inzaghi. He can still finish better then anyone else in MLS.

3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on the DP. Ljungberg wasn't brought over because he would increase attendance, he was brought over because he was a quality player. Beckham and Blanco were brought over because they were both a quality player and would increase attendance, but more of the latter than the former.

4. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Freddy is easily the second most recognizable name in MLS second only to Beckham. The guy is huge star in Europe, a former Calvin Klein model and exactly what MLS wants in a DP. Star power and playing quality.

Henry to NYRB? Why not Seattle? If Roth and Co. are going to throw down loot on another DP, it's not going be some has been playing in Dubai, noones ever heard of, it's going to be a baller. Roth's got money to spend and I suspect he's eager to capitalize on the success of the club and keep the momentum moving forward next season.

5. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Ljungberg is an FING CALVIN KLIEN MODEL !!!!

Not commenting on his appearance but it is a FACT HE IS A CALVIN KLIEN MODEL !!! AND FORMER STAR OF ARSENAL

If you dont think its a big deal your lying to yourself

6. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the average Sounder fan was like "Wow Freddie Ljunberg, I've been waiting forever to see him play live."

Which is pretty much the point of the post you quoted.

Now Beckham, even my dad who never watches soccer knows who he is.

7. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Not really since he's still scoring boatloads of goals. Denilson was washed up before he came to MLS.

Yes and no. In a market like Columbus or Dallas yes. In a market like Seattle or Toronto, no.

The main thing MLS is concerned about is that the guy comes to play and be an effective contributor. DP just means they make over max MLS Salary.

Emilio is a DP in DC for that reason, Lopez was one in Kansas City for the same reason.

Retirement league. No thanks. We should be like the Japanese league or the Dutch league. A stop on the way (back) to a bigger league in Europe as much as a final resting ground.

8. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding me? I know of at least 8 local Gooners that never watched MLS prior to Freddy signing with the club. 6 of them now have season tickets and one of them is now on the Supporters Alliance. Some of my female friends wouldn't shut up about Freddy when he signed. It was a big deal in the football world when he signed with MLS. That's the impact the league intended when it created the "DP or Beckham rule."

9. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Let me just say that I think it more important that we have a a "baller" who can and WILL play than a name who might or might not.

One who has experience winning trophies in international competitions, (cough, cough) like we'll be in next summer would be preferable.

So yeh, Martin Palermo, Ruud Van Nistelroy or Baré, i don't care if your average prawn sarnie munching EPL watcher doesn't know who they are, if they are all about being willing to leave it all on the pitch for the Sounders bringing us the CONCACAF Champions League Trophy then bring them on.

10. Main Man

Main Man Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    99% of the public outside of Arsenal (and EPL followers in general) don't know that. Every hispanic dude knows Blanco. Everyone knows Goldenballs. Not everyone know Ljungberg.

11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be honest do you really think Roth is going to use a DP on Bare? Do you really think having Seattle as a road attendance draw similar to the Galaxy wouldn't make the league office happy? Bare would be a good DP for KC, Dallas, or San Jose. Not Seattle.

The Sounders are well on their way to becoming the premier franchise in MLS. The DP is the only chance to flex our financial muscle in the current league setup. Do you really think the team would waste that rare opportunity to spend some coin outside of the cap, by getting a 27old castoff from the J League now scoring 20 goals in Dubai? I would rather have Jeff Cunningham to be honest.

12. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but they should.

13. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Average Sounder fan= Gooners? :eek:

14. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't so lucky, but yeah Seattle is thick with Arsenal supporters for some reason.

15. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    If you're comparing Baré to Jeff Cunningham you clearly know very little about football outside of Europe.

I think the team, unlike the Galaxy is more concerned with WINNING real competitions not just looking "glamourous" with name players who don't produce.

16. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strawman we meet again. Stick to what I wrote next time, it would make your rebuttal more effective.

I think the problem is you don't understand what the DP is, and why it was created. How long have you been watching MLS?

17. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some background on the DP

Good background article from the NYT. You can sign whoever you want obviously, but quite clearly the intention was to sign ballers.

18. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would of course depend on which segment of the population you are polling::D

[​IMG]

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your qualifier says it all. Ljungberg is a huge star in Europe. Here in the States he's just another guy walking his dog down the street. Beckham on the other hand, everyone knows. He walks down the street, he's getting mobbed.

20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think anyone disagrees that the point of DP is to bring over quality players (hence Ljungberg and JPA), but most teams aren't using it to drive attendance numbers. You think Houston brought over Landin because they thought he would increase their attendance? The guy has potential, but he bounced around FMF and isn't going to pull Blanco numbers into Robertson Stadium. Beckham was successful not because he brought more soccer fans to MLS games, he was successful because he brought Beckham fans to MLS games, but then, that's also why he was a failure. The Beckham fans bought a Beckham jersey, came to the game, went "OMG!!! OMG!!! It's BECKHAM!!!", fainted, and then never went to another MLS game.

21. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you kidding me? Landin is a talented Mexican player. Have you been to Houston? He's exactly the type of player a club like Houston should have signed. Ask the guys on the Dynamo board why he was signed. It's not a black or white situation. They got a player they believed could help them on and off the pitch. This is a business and Houston is pushing for their stadium.

So I'm not arguing which DP's worked and which didn't. Most have been successful to some degree. A few have been busts. But if your going to get a 2nd DP to go with Freddy, then you need to make a big impact, by addressing a need and signaling to the supporters the club is serious about making the Sounders the biggest club in North America.

Remember it's our money they're investing and on the back of 30% ticket increase next season I want to see the 2nd DP on par with the 1st.

22. gblfxt

gblfxt Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    what about this guy? yah, he's a little goofy, but he's a solid striker! also he is 28, so a bit older.

23. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I dont want to be rude or be seen as a jerk but do you people watch soccer or know anything about it?

Like just pulling names out of a hat !!! Crouch STARTS FOR ENGLAND !!!!! He is worth at least 10 million euro, not to mention his annual wages would be way wya more than any player in the league !!! If Seattle has that amount of money why not just buy 22 good players for the team.

I mean I like the MLS and NYRBs, Dallas and Seattle but when I go on these threads its like lets get Robinho he isnt doing well at Man City (people forget they paid 35 million euro for him last year) HE WONT COME HERE ON LOAN OR FREE !!!

MLS like it or not is a feeder league until it can be as profitable as the other big american sports. When that happens then we can bring big young euro stars, but till then why dont we take baby steps and at least try to be better than the hondurian and costa rican leagues that always seems to pown the MLS in Champions league.

24. gblfxt

gblfxt Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't watch much premier league, I just remember 3 years ago, World Cup was all about Rooney, so I figured Crouch's star was waning there. I'm not a follower of Tottenham Hotspur FC, so I'm not sure how much field time he gets now days. I was thinking we could get someone not necessarily ready to retire, but maybe someone who isn't getting enough field time and really loves to play.

25. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    MLS doesnt want to pay transfer fees so no player on a european NT will come here. Our best chances is during sub 20 tournies to raid africa, asia and south america for players who dont play in big clubs or play in 2nd divisions. Like Real Salt Lake did with Yamith Cuesta who was a 19 year old playing in the colombian 2nd division. He makes only 35 grand and starts for them since he came here and is a beast.

Crouch isnt that great unless he has a world class team with